International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 07-05-2018, 03:27 PM
258 I6

Windshield trim question

I had my windshield and gasket replaced with new, and we are struggling to get the stainless re-installed correctly.

Are the screws that hold the corner stainless trim pieces supposed to penetrate the steel windshield frame, or do they merely screw into the rubber?
<a href=\"http://www.angelfire.com/tv2/mysterymachine\" target=\"_blank\">www.angelfire.com/tv2/mysterymachine</a><br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.imageevent.com/shaggy/trucks\" target=\"_blank\">www.imageevent.com/shaggy/trucks</a>
Old 07-05-2018, 04:26 PM
327 Rambler

I assume you used a new gasket ?

If you did good luck. the top piece is impossible I had two pro's try and they gave up. I ended up hooking it on the lip on both sides and counter punching and installing a screw in the middle. it works and doesn't look too bad.

And yes, the screws go into the metal frame. AMC used self tapping screws if you don't have any you'll either have to find the original holes with a pick or drill new ones.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:43 PM
hey,does anyone here know how to.......

do a search on this unfriendly search capability site this opic has come up many times with very good tips for sucess......YES the re-install sucks i want to meet the dude who did this on the factory floor LOL

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/228 BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:
Old 07-05-2018, 07:08 PM
327 Rambler

The main trick is to rope it in. we tried that and it is obvious if the trim fit the gasket it would go right in. I ruined one top trim and buffed up another and it fit exactly the same.

I can go out to my parts rig and almost get it on with just a screwdriver. on my new gasket no way no how even by pro's. it's not going to work.

Hopefully others have better luck.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:47 PM
258 I6

Thanks.

Yes, I assumed a new gasket would seal better than the old one. I regret that, now.

Glass installers bent one trim piece. It took me three days to find another that blew off on the highway.

Windshield still leaks. I'll get them to fix the leak, and then I'll wrestle the trim myself, I guess.
<a href=\"http://www.angelfire.com/tv2/mysterymachine\" target=\"_blank\">www.angelfire.com/tv2/mysterymachine</a><br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.imageevent.com/shaggy/trucks\" target=\"_blank\">www.imageevent.com/shaggy/trucks</a>
Old 07-12-2018, 12:46 PM
258 I6

My glass guy seems committed to fixing this right.

One of his employees used the wrong tube of black stuff and glued my gasket into place, but its in the wrong place and needs to move for the trim to fit correctly.

He ordered me a new gasket and we are going to start this all over. He is spending a lot of time and this and seems happy to work with me until it is right.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:42 PM
327 Rambler

Yeah, you'd think that. but mine was installed with no adhiesive whatsoever.

I think it's because the new gasket isn't as thick , the trim simply can't pull down to fit it. I'm not sure.

Good luck I hope you beat it.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:06 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440sixpack
Yeah, you'd think that. but mine was installed with no adhiesive whatsoever.

I think it's because the new gasket isn't as thick , the trim simply can't pull down to fit it. I'm not sure.

Good luck I hope you beat it.

The real trouble is likely due to the trim having been installed at the factory with the windshield, instead of the trim being installed after the windshield was installed on the vehicle.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:25 PM
327 Rambler

We thought about that. but I don't see any way you could install it other than the way everyone does. now or at the factory, you'd have to weld it in .
Old 07-14-2018, 06:08 AM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440sixpack
We thought about that. but I don't see any way you could install it other than the way everyone does. now or at the factory, you'd have to weld it in .

I know! It really doesn't seem possible, but apparently the old, gasket and trim style windshields were installed with the trim already in the rubber. Even the big, wrap around and over windshields like the '59 Chevy used.

Here's a video of installing a 1957 Chevy windshield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvtqQyVlGXE
Old 07-14-2018, 12:39 PM
258 I6

new mopar gasket

I used new gasket. Used windshield . Put in myself with stainless . I am funny nobody works on my jeep . I had a nos factory mopar gasket in box for factory trim windsheilds. What brand gaskets are you getting
1982 cherokee nt. 454. nv4500 .205. dana 60 f+r. twin stick.hydroboost.hydrolic clutch.rock ram.traction bar.warn 12000 winch.4 wheel disc.flip kit.soa.high steer.cross over steer.4.56 detroit locker.35 spline rear alloy axles. 1990 grand wagoneer aka trusty rusty
Old 07-14-2018, 04:20 PM
327 Rambler

I didn't know they ever did a windshield like that. I still don't think you could do a Jeep that way because to rope it in you'd be puling against your dash pad. but I don't know, I can't say. I do know one of the pro's who tried to get my trim on said he had done lots of Wagoneer's back in the day and they did it like we tried to.

I have a repop gasket. it's all I could find I don't think anything else is available.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:29 PM
350 Buick

I don't buy it either.

Why design/make a gasket with a locking bead on the outside then install it assembled.

There's a lot of rubber on the inside that would be difficult to pull through.

Then there's the dash in the way as mentioned above.

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:13 AM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJTD
I don't buy it either.

Why design/make a gasket with a locking bead on the outside then install it assembled.

There's a lot of rubber on the inside that would be difficult to pull through.

Then there's the dash in the way as mentioned above.

I can't speak for Jeep, but that's exactly how they did it on the GM assembly line (Fisher Body). They didn't use rope on the assembly line, but they did install the windshield with the trim installed.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:55 AM
350 Buick

But did that gasket have a locking bead?

Lotsa glass is designed to be mounted in the gasket then the assembly mounted on the vehicle. Wag windshields aren't.

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:26 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJTD
But did that gasket have a locking bead?

Lotsa glass is designed to be mounted in the gasket then the assembly mounted on the vehicle. Wag windshields aren't.

Everything looks to me to be made the same (between the old GM stuff and the FSJ stuff), but that doesn't mean you aren't correct. It's quite possible that Jeep intended the trim to be installed after the windshield (anyone have any assembly line photos?).

Perhaps someone needs to be on the inside of the Jeep pushing the windshield out while someone else attempts to get the trim to "snap" into place?
Old 07-19-2018, 05:46 PM
304 AMC

Speaking as someone that has never done this: The 79 service manual says to install the chrome after the windshield is installed in the rig and locked into place.

Generally it says: install a small bead of urethane sealer to the inside of the gasket where it contacts the body, install the gasket to the body, install the windshield into the gasket (using a 1/8" cord in the bottom, slide the windshield up into the gasket and around the sides, then use the 1/8" cord to install the bottom), inject a small bead or urethane between the gasket and windshield, lock weatherstrip, then check for leaks.

Install the a 1/8" cord in the lower trim retaining grove, push the trim into the groove and tap on chrome with a mallet while pulling the cord out. Repeat for the top piece. etc. etc. etc.
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring