• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZackN920
    350 Buick
    • Nov 18, 2015

do you mean "wouldn't be liking these goofy rigs"

People find me odd for liking these Jeeps, and all the other old cars I like. They find me odd for not liking new cars very much. and Many of the other odd things I personally like, one of which are vintage tube electronics...

Hey FSJunkie, I believe there were "hipsters" before this so called millennial generation. Its not some new thing just with them.
    1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-"Big Jeep"

AMC 360, TF727, NP229, 2.72 gears, 2" lift
    Rancho 44044 springs, Rusty's 2" AAL, TFI w/ MSD C/R
    ...in pieces for more rust repair...

Comment

• ZackN920
      350 Buick
      • Nov 18, 2015

It seems that some people are just hit and run types. Get what they want and leave, and don't bother with the actual community.

I do find it odd though(i havnt seen much of it here) with people asking something, and arguing about the answers.
      1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-"Big Jeep"

AMC 360, TF727, NP229, 2.72 gears, 2" lift
      Rancho 44044 springs, Rusty's 2" AAL, TFI w/ MSD C/R
      ...in pieces for more rust repair...

Comment

• FSJunkie
        The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
        • Jan 09, 2011

Originally posted by ZackN920
        ...other odd things I personally like, one of which are vintage tube electronics...
        I have some AM and AM/FM table top radios and alarm clock radios ranging from 4-6 tubes each. One of them is brand new and still in box, unused except for my testing. I bought it for $5 at an estate sale.

My crown jewel of tube equipment is my 1965 Sansui vacuum tube receiver. 19 tubes and weighs 45 pounds. I keep it set up in my living room with some other old stereo equipment. I have other receivers but they're solid state. They blow away the old Sansui for performance, but having a tube receiver is a neat novelty.

I like buying vintage electronics, appliances, etc. and fixing/restoring them. I've done radios, stereo amps and receivers, turntables, cassette decks, 8-track players, car radios, car clocks, household clocks, vacuum cleaners, toasters, fans, and of course cars.

Still trying to figure out a way to make money at it because I hate conventional jobs. haha
        '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• joe
          • Apr 28, 2000

do you mean "wouldn't be liking these goofy rigs"
          Yes. I stand corrected.
          joe
          "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• newtojeeps
            350 Buick
            • Jun 28, 2006

I think people asking seemingly redundant questions are ok. Most people are using search engines and end up here. Lets face it Full size Jeeps can be had on the cheap. The newer generation is into instant gratification and so they ask questions and then try to figure out how to apply the answer. They buy a FSJ and usually end up taking it to a mechanic with his ob11 reader. $$$$$ dollars later with no fix they end up here.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
              Administrator
              • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by SJTD
              Notchback? Cool. I think I've only seen one in person.

Shame on you for wrecking it.
              Yeah, I know, it was a real bummer. I rear-ended a small pickup at about 15mph. My car was destroyed from the front beam forward. I sold it to a guy that had a squareback that got rear ended. I like to think he put the 2 together (like he said he was planning) and it's back on the road but I lost his contact info so I am not sure. I only have one picture of it.
              Originally posted by joe
              Hell we're all odd or we wouldn't be liking these goofy rigs.
              I agree. My parents think it was ridiculous that I picked a car "because it needs TONS of work". My brother said "Why does your Jeep have a 401 badge on the front?" I said because it has an AMC 401 in it. He laughed and said "AMC?!? HAHAHA! Who buys those!?!"
              Originally posted by Tripwire
              you know "the guy"..." both my brake lights dont work.....
              Q - do you have 12 VDC on the contacts when you press the pedal ? answer yes...
              have you changed the bulbs? ...no.... why should I as how can both go bad at the same time?
              Ok, how did you measure the voltage to your tail lights? did you use a meter?....no my car starts so the voltage must be good and i dont have a meter
              can someone else give me a easy answer or a App to hep me fix my problem?
              that post frustrated me as I read it, even though I know it was a hypothetical.
              Originally posted by mwood65
              I have a Wagoneer & a Cherokee....What does that make me?

I am still a noob but try not to be too annoying....
              a) that makes you a good shopper!
              b) you have cool questions. One of my favorite questions I think I have ever read on this forum is when you said your horn would beep every time you turned your rig off! HAHAHA!!!

... I believe there were "hipsters" before this so called
              millennial generation. Its not some new thing just with them.
              I totally agree. I don't think Hipster=millennial or vice versa.

I don't dislike millennials. I just recognize they grew up in a completely different world then us boomers/X'ers did so I don't judge them. Imagine how much the greatest generation hated you boomers with your loud rock-n-roll music, lazy hippy lifestyles, long hair, and rebellious attitudes toward government! I can tell you, some of the sharpest/most productive engineers I work with are millennials. When they get in their element, it's pretty amazing to watch them go and the ideas they can come up with are pretty awesome too.
              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
              (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
              (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
              79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
              (Cherokee Build Thread)
              11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
              09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• J20 project
                304 AMC
                • Dec 27, 2000

1. The most financially strapped generation since the one that grew up in the depression, meaning they are frugal tight a$$es. Their jeep needing a $300 part means they ether default on their student loan payment for the month or just don't eat. They're going to be upset when a Jeep part is expensive because many of them are lucky to make $12/hr.
                Interesting comment FSJunkie, one I had not really thought about.

Many of the folks of my era(late boomers) found a job market that "if" you were a hard worker and dedicated, we could find a career job with benefits, insurance, pension and even in a lot of cases making 100K a year w/o a college degree.

I look at my fathers' gen and they were taught per the depression, and if a vehicle only needed one plug wire,,,that is what you installed. One small piece of fuel hose instead of all of the hoses, etc. Many of us would not even consider this.

The next gen may be the same by the time it is done. I will say this though, many of the young people I know are very dedicated and ambitious as well. They could trust our knowledge a bit more though..haha

J20
                BP Drivetrain...........

Driveshafts for all Jeeps, Constant velocity rebuilds, Replacement, Repair
                775-537-7918

https://www.facebook.com/BPShafts/

Putting this back up. "Someone is gonna have to crawl under the rig"

Comment

• tbrasse
                  230 Tornado
                  • Jan 08, 2018

Noob- the plague of a tag

I would suggest, as a noob myself to this forum, many come looking for a knowledgeable source for help. I was extremely active in the forum for classic mustangs for years. I was happy people were there trying to fix things the right way, looking for advice etc. I used it a ton to get through the restoration with some mods for drive-ability and safety in mind. I've restored three other vehicles too. I had always wanted a Cherokee Chief and yet I had not spent much time around one. It is a different animal, as you all know well. I try not to ask the stupid questions and bought a full size Jeep shop manual to get a leg up on the work I'll have to do. It was a $70 book and I can afford it. Many may not be able to and look to experienced owners who have been there to guide them.
                  Another problem is the "hipsters". There are some well to do "hipsters", but there are also some of the younger crowd (20's and 30's some even younger) who see this as a classic car. Everyone complains that the hobby is dying, but here are the techie, younger crowd, jumping in with a set of home depot tools to figure it out. I too have seen some eye-opening questions, but I pledge to start answering some. I just stripped the parts truck down to a bare shell - everything off - so i have some inside knowledge of these trucks now. Inevitably I will have a stupid question or two as I wade into taking my good truck apart and re-assembling. It'll be somewhere between "prissy" and medium duty rock crawler when done. Wiring updates, engine upgrades, tranny improvements, etc will likely be run through this group as I go.

Go easy on a "Noob". Be glad they're in the hobby.
                  Thanks,
                  Tom
                  1979 Cherokee Chief (rebuild project) in Morocco Tan
                  360, Turbo400
                  3 inch spring lift, dealer installed brush guard and rear spare carrier/Jerry can holder thingy

1979 Golden Eagle Cherokee parts truck.

Comment

• Don S
                    • Feb 06, 2002

Originally posted by J20 project
                    Interesting comment FSJunkie, one I had not really thought about.

Many of the folks of my era(late boomers) found a job market that "if" you were a hard worker and dedicated, we could find a career job with benefits, insurance, pension and even in a lot of cases making 100K a year w/o a college degree.

I look at my fathers' gen and they were taught per the depression, and if a vehicle only needed one plug wire,,,that is what you installed. One small piece of fuel hose instead of all of the hoses, etc. Many of us would not even consider this.

The next gen may be the same by the time it is done. I will say this though, many of the young people I know are very dedicated and ambitious as well. They could trust our knowledge a bit more though..haha

J20

You got that right.
                    In 1953 I did a valve job on my new (about 6 months old)1953 Plymouth. I had been drag racing with av-gas. I parked in the driveway and had borrowed a spring compressor, had a suction cup and some valve grinding compound. It took nearly all day and worked perfectly. That's how we did it back then.
                    My step dad taught me to be frugal.

Dang I've been a noob since 1934.. Don S..
                    Sold our 1976 Wagoneer 406, MC4300, TH400, QT, TruTrac, 2" lift, 31x10.50s, duel Optimas,
                    It?s took us over 161 Colorado Mountain Passes, 3 Jeep Jamboree USAs & 2 Ouray Invasions from 1985 to 2010
                    ACRONYMS & ABBREVIATIONS HERE

Comment

• oven
                      230 Tornado
                      • Oct 28, 2015

Definitely a New Person on this forum (noob sounds like a pejorative, sorry) And I don't have vast sums of experience with FSJ's. But I've been around the block a few times and know my way around my vehicles. I hate talking about my stuff or myself, its superfluous. I'd rather lurk and obtain information. If I can't obtain information passively, I'll ask my questions, solve my problem and move on to the next one.

Comment

• Randyzzz
                        258 I6
                        • Mar 03, 2008

I'm not a noob, but I have regretfully neglected this forum since the Photobucket travesty. Posting pics is a chore. Guess I am an old fogie... then again I'm building an addition and a shop so I haven't made any progress on any of my Jeeps for about 8 months...
                        Randy S.
                        It's not what you Buy, it's what you Build.
                        1987 J20 SOLD
                        1966 Waggy SOLD
                        1970 Waggy SOLD
                        1982 Scrambler SOLD
                        1981 Scrambler - Current Project/Keeper

Comment

• rapom
                          232 I6
                          • Aug 10, 2016

I'm also a newbe (1 year) that is mostly a lurker. It's mostly part of my personality. I try to answer if nobody has posted if I know the answer.
                          I know my way around vehicles, but like the other poster said these fsj's are a different animal.

Comment

It?s just you trip!
                            Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• Tripwire
                              AMC 4 OH! 1
                              • Jul 30, 2000

Dude you are stiil alive? feeling any better?
                              Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

Originally posted by Tripwire
                                Dude you are stiil alive? feeling any better?
                                Improving slowly. Able to drive still but I think I?ve hit the end of the improvement. It sucks to think someone I once considered to be a friend would try to kill me like that with poison so they could steal everything of mine.
                                Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

Working...
                                X