• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grimgaunt
    350 Buick
    • Aug 06, 2002

Throttle Position Sensor - TBI + AW4 swap

So, I've done 2 AW4 swaps before and both were without the TCU (just paddle shifts).
    This time here is the setup:

1990 Waggie
    360 w/TBI (GM ECM xxx7747 incl. spark and fuel w/HEI conversion)
    AW4
    NP219 full time (my favourite)

This time I want to wire up the AW4 to be completely factory (use the TPS, TCU, shifter on console etc).

My only question is this - how does the TPS on the GM TBI compare to the 4.0 TPS ? are they the same voltage ranges ? is the travel the same ?
    Reference voltages ?

If they are incompatible then I can piggyback the 4.0 TPS on the same swivel / pivot the regular GM TPS is on.

ideas ?
  • Jlamb
    327 Rambler
    • Nov 08, 2003

Assuming we are talking about a Jeep 4.0(can't think of any other 4.0), I doubt the 4.0L tps is the same as the GM 5.7. Some Chryco used an 8V reference some used 5V, all GMs I know where 5V.

Posting up some more specifics on year and makes will help, but I will probably think the same thing regardless... use the GM TPS.
    1979 J20,360,TH400,QT

Comment

• chrism
      327 Rambler
      • Apr 07, 2002

The Jeep 4.0 HO (91-up) is a 5V reference. Don't know about the earlier ones with the renix injection.
      1979 Cherokee
      1979 CJ-7

Comment

• grimgaunt
        350 Buick
        • Aug 06, 2002

more reference points - the TBI is a stock GM one with the TPS.
        The transmission is a 23 spline AW4 from a 1995 XJ.

Comment

• Jlamb
          327 Rambler
          • Nov 08, 2003

Using a 95 Gm 5.7L and a 95 Jeep 4.0L TPS for diagrams, the Jeep is using a pull down resistor where the GM is not. They do both use 5v for reference, but the internals of the sensor (per diagrams) are drastically different because of the resistor. Doubt they will interchange, but only one way to know.
          1979 J20,360,TH400,QT

Comment

• Super mud
            230 Tornado
            • Nov 01, 2010

Whip out your meter and lets find out.
            I have a 87 xj (Renix) which is a 5v system and so is the 91+
            My tps is adjustable by the mounts and position unlike the OBDI+II which are fixed. When testing/setting up mine calls for ~5v input, ground, ~.75v in idle position and at full throttle it should be adjusted so the output is 82-83% of you current input voltage which can vary from 5v so thats why theres no specified voltage at full throttle. Also while maintaining the .75v idle. It's not real critical, most how-to's give u a specific volt range rather than the ratio but on the efi side I figure it helps. The tranny side probobly not as much but why not.
            Anyway the tcu needs a signal from the tps or it won't shift out of 1st.

Also is this ur tps? The renix one is very similair where it just has 2 lead (3 wires each) one set for the efi and other for the tcu. Considering AMC used alot of chevy parts at the time, I wouldn't be suprised if they read the same. I know my MAP sensor says GM on it along with my ignition key haha.

Comment

• The PIG Smith
              King Browless

• Nov 30, 2001

Originally posted by grimgaunt
              NP219 full time (my favorite)
              WOW! I am glad I am not alone!
              I have a NP219 in my '81 J20 and my '82 J10
              Bryan Smith
              2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
              - 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green
              1986 Jeep J20
              - Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line
              1982 Jeep J10
              - Has become a Long Term Project.
              1981 Jeep J20
              - Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
              1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
              - Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

Originally posted by Jayrodoh
              ...but if it works, I wouldn't touch it.
              Originally posted by Lindel
              Best laid plans, yada yada yada...

Comment

• JeepsAndGuns
                AMC 4 OH! 1
                • Jul 18, 2003

Well I have a 1227747 TBI system on my cherokee, a stock 4.0 in my 93 YJ, and a miltimeter. If anyone can tell me witch terminals to check on the TPS's and I post up the results.
                I know my tbi system is set for .54 volts at idle, and its something just under 5 volts at WOT. But I dont know what that translates to in ohms though. In my YJ, I have no clue, as I have never had a reason to check it. But I have no idea what terminals I should check.
                79 Cherokee Chief 401/T18/D20, MPFI fuel injection, hydroboost, otherwise stock.
                Future mods: Caddy 500/NV4500/NP205, HP D60 front D60 smooth botom rear, 5.13 gears, 35x12.50's on H1 beadlock wheels. Warn M12000 winch.
                93 Wrangler 4.6 stroker/AX15/NP231,SYE,CV, OME 2.5 lift, front hub conversion/big brakes, 31X10.50's Warn M10000 winch.

Comment

• Super mud
                  230 Tornado
                  • Nov 01, 2010

Like I said above theres a ground (most likely black) 5v input and signal back to pcm. Idk the colors on the chevy stuff just probe through the insulation on the 2 other wires and find the one that varies voltage and observe.
                  Or find the parameters of the chevy tps on the internet without getting up.

Comment

• grimgaunt
                    350 Buick
                    • Aug 06, 2002

I still need to know. Thanks for taking the time to check

Comment

Working...
                    X