• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KYJ10
    360 AMC
    • May 05, 2002

off road milage?

Not that it matters, cause I built it this way, but my rig is a air and gas hog. I bet I can't run 20 minutes to a gallon. And thats just easy to moderate trail riding. It may be worse. I really havent kept up with it, but just filled a 16 gallon tank yesterday, rode for maybe an hour, and can see a noticable dent in my tank. I will need to carry an extra couple of 5 gallon jugs to make an afternoon of it in NC! Dennis
    Starting to miss the addiction!
  • Don S
    • Feb 06, 2002

KYJ10;

... IMHO we have to divide our fuel mileage by the reduction ratio of the transfer case.

Have a good one and CUL Don S..
    Sold our 1976 Wagoneer 406, MC4300, TH400, QT, TruTrac, 2" lift, 31x10.50s, duel Optimas,
    It?s took us over 161 Colorado Mountain Passes, 3 Jeep Jamboree USAs & 2 Ouray Invasions from 1985 to 2010
    ACRONYMS & ABBREVIATIONS HERE

Comment

• Tad
      • Nov 30, 2001

I would double that reduction once your into moving big tires around, I'd say I go from about 16 highway to 4 offroad easy.
      2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
      EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
      Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• KYJ10
        360 AMC
        • May 05, 2002

I bet Im lower than that. I wasnt even in 4x4 but a brief couple of climbs. I bet im lower than 4. I can't imagine driving 64 miles on my tank. Maybe 25-30 tops. I need to keep track of my hours logged just for the heck of it. Im curious to see what Im getting. Dennis

Comment

• Subconscious
          327 Rambler
          • Mar 30, 2003

I had a '77 CJ-7 w/304, 3 speed manual, 33s. I drove it home (~100 miles) in a snow storm. I drove about half way in 4-hi, and it cut my mileage in half. Mind you, this was based on watching the fuel guage, and not actually doing the calculation...
          1987 Grand Wagoneer, bone stock 360/727/229, 44s w/3.31s front and rear

Comment

• robselina
            304 AMC
            • Feb 26, 2003

oh yea, i'm WAY low too. 8 miles can be 10 gallons off road! I get about 20-30minutes a gallon I bet...you suck 'cause now I'm going to notice this
            Rob

Comment

• rockjeep44
              The Advisor
              • Oct 15, 2001

People called me crazy when I bought a 32 gallon fuel cell for my Jeep and I'm sticking with it for the buggy. Fact is gasoline is scarce in Tellico and I couldn't ride a full Saturday & Sunday on a 20 gallon tank. The 32 gallon fixed that problem but hell that's just rediculous. Oh well
              Buggy Buildup

Originally posted by welchct
              There are about 5 trails that actualy have section that are upwards of 85* and climb 40-50 feet at this deg.
              "The combination of fine split tail and fine whiskey will make any man lose focus." -FSJeeper

Comment

• kyjman
                Banned
                • Apr 04, 2001

So......would this be measured in RPG's?????
                Meaning Rocks Per Gallon......how many rocks do you roll/climb over in a gallon?????? I can tell you mine is not good at all.

JK

Comment

• robselina
                  304 AMC
                  • Feb 26, 2003

Originally posted by rockjeep44:
                  People called me crazy when I bought a 32 gallon fuel cell for my Jeep and I'm sticking with it for the buggy. Fact is gasoline is scarce in Tellico and I couldn't ride a full Saturday & Sunday on a 20 gallon tank. The 32 gallon fixed that problem but hell that's just rediculous. Oh well
                  I'll probably be doing the fuel cell thing soon since my old gas gauge doesn't work and I need to ditch the coffin tank anyway. Hadn't thought much about size but you've got a good point. I hate doing 2 day wheelin trips and having to leave and get gas in a town 20 freakin' miles away after the first day...might have to do a big boy tank after all...
                  Rob

Comment

• rockjeep44
                    The Advisor
                    • Oct 15, 2001

Try these links. I just called up Jegs, gave them the part # straight from Jaz and they hooked me up. However, you can order direct from Kartek. The cell is top quality.
                    -Andrew

[ April 23, 2004, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: rockjeep44 ]
                    Buggy Buildup

Originally posted by welchct
                    There are about 5 trails that actualy have section that are upwards of 85* and climb 40-50 feet at this deg.
                    "The combination of fine split tail and fine whiskey will make any man lose focus." -FSJeeper

Comment

• scotty
                      • Jun 12, 2000

i keep meaning to install an hour meter from a boat so that i have an idea when im about to run out of gas

MPG is really an irrelavant figure in the woods,as it takes a long time to go a mile in low range. ill use anywhere from 15 to 25 gallons in a 3 day weekend,depending on how much actualy driving i do.of course,starters always choose not to work at the most in oportune time,so im bad for leaving mine running while we stop to figure out a stuck situation,or just stop to shot the :o:o:o:o,so i prolly use alot more gas than i have to. i bet i dont usually drive more than 3 or 4 miles on the trails here,so figure 4 miles to 20 gallons at best thats why im more concerned with the time it runs,rather than the miles it goes. heck,its not even had a speedo from day one
                      scotty
                      85 grand wagoneer
                      258/t18/d20/10 bolt/14 bolt
                      38" TSL SXs
                      chopped,bobbed and caged

http://nightcrawlers4wd.20megsfree.com/index.html\

http://mytrailrigs4x4.20megsfree.com/photo.html\

Comment

• KYJ10
                        360 AMC
                        • May 05, 2002

Man, Im envious. It doesn't appear Im gonna get better than 1 day on 16 gallons. And I bet b4 that day is over, Im putting some in!

Comment

• Serious Johnson
                          AMC 4 OH! 1
                          • May 19, 2002

Well, there's a gas station about 17 miles over and a mile down from my place. In summer it takes about an hour to get there, most of it in 4-Low (in winter it doesn't matter because snowshoes don't need gasoline). I've seen as low as 1.8 MPG for the round trip, so I always take Jerry cans.

:-
                          "Carpe Mañana".

'83 Wagoneer
                          360, .030-over, K8600 cam, Crane springs, ported heads, Edelbrock Performer, G.M. TBI, TFI, 3" exhaust,
                          T-18a/208, D44/AMC 20 w/ limited slip in both, 3.73s, 33s, BDS 4" springs, Rancho 9000 shocks, etc., etc.

Comment

• timmirvin
                            350 Buick
                            • Jan 29, 2003

KYJ10....know what you mean. Spent the last few months playing with Sherman. In Dec I went out for a day of following deer dogs......and 40 +/- gallons!!! Freakin could not believe it. But it was Sherman's maiden voyage out of site of the shop, so I was just happy nothing broke.....

Two weeks ago I decided to drive Sherman to Houston and back (had to prove to wife He was road worthy). Took off 34" Boggers and 4 barrel & replaced w/2150 and 31s. For 410 miles, got right at 14 mpg....

regards...
                            ti
                            \'88 GW...<b>Harley</b><br />Truck Avenger, Performer Intake, TFI, Dual Exhaust, 31x10.50 Goodyear MTR\'s, 15x10 American Racing, Planned: Mossy Oak Camo Clad instead of wood grain!!! Daily Driver<br /><br />\'82 Wag......<b>Sherman</b><br />360/727/NP208/AMC20r/D44f, TFI, Dual Exhaust, 15x10s with 31x10.50s, Homemade 4\" lift, Lincoln Locked Front & Rear...Hunting Vehicle<br /><br />Several Parts Wags<br /><br />Experience is something you don\'t get until right after you need it...

Comment

• KYJ10
                              360 AMC
                              • May 05, 2002

I think mine has alot to do with the way it's built. I put a fuel injection kit on, but had the throttle body openings milled out, and had the chip burned to match that and the 454 injectors. And Im sure the rebuild and head work isn't helping. Then the 38.5 boggers don't help much either! I may eventually buy me a 26 gallon fuel cell, but for now, my 16 and a couple of plastic jugs will have to do. Dennis

Comment

Working...
                              X