• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Slim
    327 Rambler
    • Nov 18, 2003

rear D44 leak,,,

the rear D44 in my 77FSJ is leaking on the backin plate of the Driverside brake,

i asked the parts guy about seals ,,,,,he was askin ,,,innner or outer???

since i was sure there was 2 any idea what one would be leakin ,so parts can be ordered before and be here for when i tear it down?
    77 Cherokee chief ,360 cid,quadra-trac,chopped /bobbed 12" , 8point cage, front exo ,d60frt 14bolt rear ,38.5x14.5x16.5 on beadlocks ,frt & RR winch,OBA ,SOA,shackle flip rear

** Island Rock Crawlers**

4WDABC Member
    BCWF Member

... if you are leaking any fluid out of the backing plate... change the outer at the least... the inner will still leak and fill the tube... but will not leak thru with a good outer seal....

Change them both... I would... but the quick fix to STOP the leak is the outer...

The inner seal is just inside the tube adjacent the carrier bearings... carrier must be removed...

the outer seal is on the axle shaft... the axle bearing must be removed to replace it...so while you are there... do the bearing and race....

and since you are that far into it... if one side started to leak.. the other side is not too far behind... might as well do them all on both sides...

See what happens? you think its a quick fix....
    Todd
    www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• timmirvin
      350 Buick
      • Jan 29, 2003

I very much agree with RB. Beleive me, the main investment will be time, not money. And doing it right the first time is far better, especially reference the Time & Trouble Index, than trying to "patch" only what is needed in this case.

just my redneck 2 cents.....
      TI
      \'88 GW...<b>Harley</b><br />Truck Avenger, Performer Intake, TFI, Dual Exhaust, 31x10.50 Goodyear MTR\'s, 15x10 American Racing, Planned: Mossy Oak Camo Clad instead of wood grain!!! Daily Driver<br /><br />\'82 Wag......<b>Sherman</b><br />360/727/NP208/AMC20r/D44f, TFI, Dual Exhaust, 15x10s with 31x10.50s, Homemade 4\" lift, Lincoln Locked Front & Rear...Hunting Vehicle<br /><br />Several Parts Wags<br /><br />Experience is something you don\'t get until right after you need it...

Comment

• Slim
        327 Rambler
        • Nov 18, 2003

ya i agree and ty RB , sucks cause i have replaced all the bearing and seals in tht Dif,,,,no more then i guess,,,500 miles ago ,,,BUT since i have been doin so much building and trail only rig,.,,,that was 3-4 years ago ,,,so i guess they just got hard from sittin ,,,

SEE they we go ,,,,less building ,,and More wheelin,,,,,,,lol
        77 Cherokee chief ,360 cid,quadra-trac,chopped /bobbed 12" , 8point cage, front exo ,d60frt 14bolt rear ,38.5x14.5x16.5 on beadlocks ,frt & RR winch,OBA ,SOA,shackle flip rear

** Island Rock Crawlers**

4WDABC Member
        BCWF Member

Comment

np Slim...

if you take it to a machine shop.. they may be able to save those 500 mile bearings on the axle shafts... ask them of they can...you may get lucky....
          Todd
          www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• fsjeep
            258 I6
            • Jul 30, 2003

Hey slim,
            Why don't I drop my jeep off tomorrow and you can do my seals at the same time [img]tongue.gif[/img] Just kidding, I do have a slide hammer kit if you need it to get the rear axles out though, just let me know and I will come by and harass you at work, Dwain
            J10 with some mods

Comment

Working...
            X