• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NO6YHY
    258 I6
    • Jan 11, 2004

Camshaft Diz Gear - Too Much Wear?

I bought a set of matching camshaft and distributor gears from Bulltear about 10 years ago. Only driven about 5,000 miles on it, with periods of sitting. Anyway, replacing my camshaft and noticed this. Does not look good. Any guess as to what the problem could be? The distributor gear actually looks pretty good, just light rubbing. Prior to putting these on, I had worn out my previous distributor gear, camshaft gear looked fine. Worried about not getting enough oil or if there is some kind of camshaft play that could be causing this.

All input appreciated.

\"The General\"<br />1976 Cherokee Chief W/T 360<br />Carter AFB-9635<br />TFI... Done!<br />TH 400<br />Borg-Warner Quadratrac hi-lo & part-time<br />Dana 44\'s (3.54)<br />Flowmaster<br />*uva uvam vivendo varia fit*

Did you make sure that the oiling hole in the cam timing gear is lined up correctly? I've seen worse on a high mileage engine, but that's pretty bad for only 5K miles.
    David "If all else fails, read the instructions."
    83 Wag Lt,BJ's 6"lift,360/727/Pinned229,D44/trac-lok,AMC20/lock-right,35/12.50 Baja MTZ,Pro-Jection EFI.
    10$ NP229 fix http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=2520

Comment

• TexasJ10
      360 AMC
      • Jan 03, 2002

Are you using a stock timing gear cover with the locating pins? It looks like the to gears might be misaligned.
      * 1981 stepside, 360, 727, 208, almost stock daily driver.
      * 1982 Laredo j-10, 360, 727, in rough shape and in the process of being rebuilt with 401, NV4500, Klune,
      . NP205,d60 front, d70 rear, fender work and minimal lift. It will probably take 10 years
      * 1973 jcab mounted on 1983 j20 frame. 360/t18/208 d44/d60. Almost completed

Comment

• NO6YHY
        258 I6
        • Jan 11, 2004

I will double check the oiling hole. Yes, stock timing cover. Before I installed it last time I lapped it a little with 400 grit on glass to make sure it was dead flat, don't think it took off very much material though.

What boggles my mind is that a new set of these gears from MSD costs as much as a new cam, and more than a timing chain/gear set. I guess there is no cheaper source???
        \"The General\"<br />1976 Cherokee Chief W/T 360<br />Carter AFB-9635<br />TFI... Done!<br />TH 400<br />Borg-Warner Quadratrac hi-lo & part-time<br />Dana 44\'s (3.54)<br />Flowmaster<br />*uva uvam vivendo varia fit*

Comment

• babywag
          out of order
          • Jun 08, 2005

I've never had a problem using good original used ones.
          Tony
          88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• bkilby
            350 Buick
            • Jan 10, 2016

Some good oil mod advice. I had to open the groove in my cam timing gear as the groove was mostly closed (#2).
            1974 Cherokee S. It's driving but needs more work. As usual!

Comment

• SC/397
              Administrator
              • Feb 01, 2010

Have you been using a Zinc additive in the oil?
              The Squeaky Wheel gets replaced in my world

Comment

• NO6YHY
                258 I6
                • Jan 11, 2004

Originally posted by SC/397
                Have you been using a Zinc additive in the oil?
                I haven't. Never occurred to me that the rig needed anything more than plain motor oil. Now I read about racing oil having more zinc, but apparently it's bad for catalytic converters. So not sure what to do.

That link bkilby posted was great, going to go through it and make sure that all the passageways are open.

Also, I went ahead and ordered the Crown replacement for $29. I'm sure the MSD set is better at $105 but I couldn't see paying that much, especially when this set cost $80 and was nothing special. Going to put some assembly lube on and see if that helps break them in better.

Comment

• SC/397
                  Administrator
                  • Feb 01, 2010

I would check the Crown one every so often as well. I have had one last only about 15 miles. This was a while back when they first took the Zinc out of the oil. I try to use old OE ones when I can. Hopefully, your oil filter caught all of the metal that got worn off of the gear.
                  The Squeaky Wheel gets replaced in my world

Comment

• 440sixpack
                    327 Rambler
                    • Jul 21, 2016

MSD is worth the money .

Unless you're running roller lifters zinc is a must, damage to your timing gears is only the start of the problems you'll encounter without it.

There are lots of options to get the zinc you need , Brad Penn brand oil is the one I've used in all my flat tappet engines for some time and I've had no issues.

Comment

• FSJunkie
                      The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
                      • Jan 09, 2011

Distributor gear shouldn't care about ZDDP.

Often times AMC V8's eat distributor gears because the slot on the backside of the timing gear doesn't line up to the oil hole in the camshaft that feeds oil to the distributor gear. Reduced or no oil flow is the result.

You always have to check the timing gears on these for alignment and widen the slot with a grinder if needed.
                      '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• Ristow
                        • Jan 20, 2006

i've broke in a lotta AMC's,a lotta cams. more than most. never crashed a cam,never ate up a set of gears,save for a chinese distributor. never ran fancy oils.

that crown gear is junk. wasted money.
                        Originally posted by Hankrod
                        Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                        ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• 440sixpack
                          327 Rambler
                          • Jul 21, 2016

In low performance engines running mild cams and light springs you might get away with it if you're lucky. but even at that they were designed to have zinc in the oil.

If you ever wanted an example of cheap insurance running zinc all the time is it. I cannot imagine breaking an engine in without extra amounts of zinc.

Comment

• FSJunkie
                            The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
                            • Jan 09, 2011

ZDDP is for high-pressure, high-heat surfaces. The heat and pressure activate the Phosphorus.

Distributor gears are none of that. They're a cool-running sliding contact surface with little pressure. ZDDP does not matter on the distributor gears.

Cam gear misalignment does. Oil that is too thick does. Seems like everyone insists on running 10W40 and 20W50 all winter on this forum, and that is a great way to simultaneously reduce oil flow to the distributor gears AND increase the load on them.
                            '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• Ristow
                              • Jan 20, 2006

i aint saying the zinc isn't good,i'm saying i cant recall anyone having cam or other wear issues and the oil being problem.

historically here when guys are having issues like cam/lifter wear its because they didn't verify lifter preload,or the springs are binding,or they cranked the motor over for half an hour while they played with the distributor trying to get it to fire.

the above gears have an oil flow problem,or are turning more than they should due to some actual reason. possible cam walking due to a lobe wearing out.

yah,the heavy oil might make the gauge look better,but its at cost of flow.
                              Originally posted by Hankrod
                              Ristows right.................again,

... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

Working...
                              X