• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smittles
    230 Tornado
    • Jan 24, 2011

Smittles' 1964 panel Wagoneer

I figure its about time to do my reader's rig/build thread. I tried checking the rigs section'noticed they are closed.

I realized yesterday that I will have to remove the tranny and tcase to get my flywheel. I'm not thrilled, but I figure I will get new u-joints for the shafts when I put them back in too. I will update over the next few days as I get through the processes involved in starting the old Wag.

We are not in Kansas anymore and no, there are no ruby slippers here.

I got a few pictures yesterday from underneath.

Driver side view of the starter ring gear

Passenger side view of starter ring gear

Passenger front springs

Driver front Springs

Clutch slave cylinder rebuild/replace? or wait and see?
    Last edited by smittles; 02-12-2013, 11:23 AM.
    Smittles

'Max' 1964 Panel Wag 230/T90
    1946 Willys CJ? "Hurricane"/3spd (T90?)
    1979 Jeep CJ7 V8 (304?)/3spd (if no one else claims it)
    '05 WK blue lawn ornament
    '05 WK silver lawn ornament
    '08 Patriot silver lawn ornament.
  • joe
    • Apr 28, 2000

If the slave is ok and clutch works fine I'd leave it alone till needed. Hyd clutch parts are pretty much ignored for maint. If that's the case with yours(likely) I'd buy a spare before you need it so you're not down waiting for parts. Napa sells them made by United Brake Parts sold under the Napa label p/n 33721. They also sell a rebuild kit for the clutch MC p/n 434. They also sell the clutch MC but don't have the p/n for that.
    joe
    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• serehill
      Gone,Never Forgotten.
      • Nov 22, 2009

agree

Originally posted by joe
      If the slave is ok and clutch works fine I'd leave it alone till needed. Hyd clutch parts are pretty much ignored for maint. If that's the case with yours(likely) I'd buy a spare before you need it so you're not down waiting for parts. Napa sells them made by United Brake Parts sold under the Napa label p/n 33721. They also sell a rebuild kit for the clutch MC p/n 434. They also sell the clutch MC but don't have the p/n for that.

They are usually maintained when the clutch dies. There's not a lot you can do without disassembly.

80 Cherokee
      360 ci 727 with
      Comp cams 270 h
      NP208
      Edlebrock performer intake
      Holley 4180
      Msd total multi spark.
      4" rusty's springs
      Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• joe
        • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by serehill
        They are usually maintained when the clutch dies. There's not a lot you can do without disassembly.
        Flush/replace with fresh brake fluid yearly or at least every two years. Funky water logged brake fluid is tough on metal parts. Rust pits the bores and the loose rust destroys the rubber bits. Just remember to flush the clutch when you flush your brakes. Other than keeping clean fluid in the system really ain't no maint on the clutch...so do it.
        joe
        "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• KaiserMan
          I got the Willys....
          • Jun 21, 2005

If yours isn't leaking I'd leave it in there. My NAPA replacement started getting damp (not outright leaking) after about a year and a half.

It was only $35 though.
          Thomas Russell
          1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0/AW4
          1971 Gladiator
          J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18

1970 Gladiator J3000 3407Z Camper Truck 350/T18
          1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400

Comment

• FSJunkie
            The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
            • Jan 09, 2011

The chassis looks good.

Those are some spindly little front leaf springs! Four-leaf? At first glance I thought they might be sagging because of the reverse arch they have compared to the slight upward arch the 7 leaf versions had by the late 60s. Of course, unless Jeep arched the 4 leaf packs more, they would naturally ride a little lower, so without a proper baseline, who knows?
            '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• jaber
              Dragin Az
              • Oct 17, 2003

Welcome to the land of empty pockets and unfinished projects...

Shes a beauty. This one is going to be fun to watch. Its also close enough I might get to see it.
              Jeff

'43 cj2a
              '51 Willys p/u
              '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
              '68 Panel Delivery
              '74 CJ5
              '75 J-20 Wrecker
              '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
              '77 J-10 p/u
              '79 Cherokee
              '88 Grand Wagoneer
              '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• 66Stepside
                350 Buick
                • Dec 23, 2010

Welcome, nice start to an awesome build!
                52 M38
                54 Willys Truck
                56 Willys Wagon
                60 FC170
                66 J3000
                68 M715
                70 1414C
                71 J2000 Quadcab

Comment

• smittles
                  230 Tornado
                  • Jan 24, 2011

Thank you, guys!
                  Unfortunately today I was forced to accept that I need a better work space...I need a lift...and a new wrench. I was also unfortunate to learn that the line from the master to slave(clutch) leaks. I think its just the old rubber. It didn't snap and hose me with fluid, but it obviously needs help. The transmission is being held (forward/backward) to the crossmember by 3 bolts that are not the right size and has slipped backwards a little(1/4 inch-if that). I am looking forward to visiting SEARS.

Is it safe to have the truck on 4 jack stands? I don't think it is, but I just don't want to die under it before I get a chance to wheel it. I would consider it if it was at least on a level surface...
                  I will see how the new wrench and/or socket works out then go from there.
                  Y'all have fun
                  Smittles

'Max' 1964 Panel Wag 230/T90
                  1946 Willys CJ? "Hurricane"/3spd (T90?)
                  1979 Jeep CJ7 V8 (304?)/3spd (if no one else claims it)
                  '05 WK blue lawn ornament
                  '05 WK silver lawn ornament
                  '08 Patriot silver lawn ornament.

Comment

• blkwarrior
                    327 Rambler
                    • Feb 15, 2010

I figured you would have it running today . If you are on solid and mostly level ground jack stands are prety good. Mine lived on a set for about three months awaiting a heart transplant and TC swap. Keep wrenching at it man it will be running soon.... a WOT is only a request away .
                    1984 GW
                    360/727/208/ Edl 1406/ Custom exhaust

Future
                    Something Sweet with mean capabilities .

Comment

• Tad
                      • Nov 30, 2001

Originally posted by smittles
                      ...Is it safe to have the truck on 4 jack stands?...
                      Mine, like many others has lived in that position many times over the last 12 years, just like other rigs I have owned.
                      I don't enjoy the vision of being crushed so I always toss something under there when I have to be there. Spare tire, floor jack, it doesn't really matter as long as it's big, solid and will buy you enough time to get out from under there if something goes wrong.

I watched one of my rigs fall off jack stands.
                      I was bout 30 feet away and had just removed the front axle which involved the typical pounding and pushing.
                      It was a slow, almost graceful fall to the drivers side and I was really glad I was not under there.
                      2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                      EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
                      Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• jaber
                        Dragin Az
                        • Oct 17, 2003

Once I get it up, I grab a corner of the rig and shake the hell out of it just to be sure. If it moves any, I reposition the stands and do it again. As Tad says, if theres room, I through the tires under the frame area just to be safe.
                        Jeff

'43 cj2a
                        '51 Willys p/u
                        '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
                        '68 Panel Delivery
                        '74 CJ5
                        '75 J-20 Wrecker
                        '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
                        '77 J-10 p/u
                        '79 Cherokee
                        '88 Grand Wagoneer
                        '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• Tad
                          • Nov 30, 2001

Dang, I just looked at your spring pic's.
                          My old '70 front spring packs were up in PHX for well over a year waiting on a pick up that never happened.
                          I had left them with Mike (will e) for another member but he sold his rig.
                          They were re-arched to 4" at one point with a secondary main spring installed that eventually settled to about 2".

Might not be there because I did tell Mike to toss them, but it might be worth a PM to him, some of us have a very high hoarding factor when it comes to FSJ parts.
                          2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                          EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
                          Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• jsinajeep
                            304 AMC
                            • Nov 26, 2005

Originally posted by Tad
                            Dang, I just looked at your spring pic's.
                            My old '70 front spring packs were up in PHX for well over a year waiting on a pick up that never happened.
                            I had left them with Mike (will e) for another member but he sold his rig.
                            They were re-arched to 4" at one point with a secondary main spring installed that eventually settled to about 2".

Might not be there because I did tell Mike to toss them, but it might be worth a PM to him, some of us have a very high hoarding factor when it comes to FSJ parts.
                            Oh, not me. I don't hoarder parts.
                            http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/h...eep%20Trailer/

Comment

• suzq044
                              304 AMC
                              • Dec 23, 2008

Originally posted by blkwarrior
                              I figured you would have it running today . If you are on solid and mostly level ground jack stands are prety good. Mine lived on a set for about three months awaiting a heart transplant and TC swap. Keep wrenching at it man it will be running soon.... a WOT is only a request away .
                              except that he was/is workin in a storage unit. They probably wouldn't look too kindly on having that sort of thing go on. LOL
                              Max²: 1964 Jeep Panel Wagoneer
                              Planning Stages

2018 Wagoneer Rendering if you're interested.

Comment

Working...
                              X