• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CTGW
    232 I6
    • Jun 12, 2018

Power window motor?

Hi everyone,
    I just replaced the flextracks in my rear doors because my windows were pathetic. They went down but not up. I cleaned the tracks, cleaned the slides and when everything was out, the windows moved freely.
    Well, windows still don't work. I'm thinking it must be the motors. Are they rebuildable? Where do I get new ones? Are there good replacements out there?
    Thanks
    Andy
    1987 Grand Wagoneer
  • joe
    • Apr 28, 2000

Before you go buying new motors... take the switches apart a thoroughly clean them. Unlike the switches the motors are pretty robust and rarely fail.
    joe
    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• CTGW
      232 I6
      • Jun 12, 2018

Great call! Off to clean the switches..
      1987 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• CTGW
        232 I6
        • Jun 12, 2018

Cleaned all the switches and replaced the flextracks.
        The windows are working better for sure but not great.

Have any of you used sylglide on the tracks? Seems a bit thick to me so on one of the doors I used silicone spray. We'll see how it goes.
        1987 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• MysticRob
          350 Buick
          • Nov 26, 2019

Sounds like you'll want to get the covers off the motors then. Likely the grease inside them is now rock hard or scattered to spots that won't help.

I just tested mine with a new 12V battery hooked to the terminals with leads and they all worked great up and down (newer white plastic tracks on all 4), but I'm really thinking I should take the motor covers off and lube the guts just in case. Obviously I'll be lubing the tracks and gear like you too.
          --Rob--
          1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer / Baltic Blue & Tan

My build thread:
          https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...er-restoration

My Howell TBI Install How-To:
          https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...rb-e-o-d-452-2

Comment

• RVAWagon
            232 I6
            • Sep 01, 2015

I thought that the back glass motor as well as the drivers side rear motor went out in the same week.... nope! Electrical issues the tailgate switch went bad and the rear drivers side wires broke.

Take 12v from your battery and run two long wires to the motor to test it if it works before you buy new.
            1987 Grand Wagoneer Stock
            The original owner kept it in a garage and barely drove it, I bought it in Sept of '15 with 107K miles on the clock... so many of the parts that I pull off are still AMC originals.

Gone But Not Forgotten:
            1993 Jeep XJ Cherokee
            2000 Jeep TJ Wrangler

Comment

• tgreese
              • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by MysticRob
              Sounds like you'll want to get the covers off the motors then. Likely the grease inside them is now rock hard or scattered to spots that won't help.

I just tested mine with a new 12V battery hooked to the terminals with leads and they all worked great up and down (newer white plastic tracks on all 4), but I'm really thinking I should take the motor covers off and lube the guts just in case. Obviously I'll be lubing the tracks and gear like you too.
              +1 on this - often you can help old motors a lot with a clean-and-lube procedure. Decades of dirt accumulation and old grease takes its toll.
              Tim Reese
              Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
              Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
              Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
              GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
              ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

Working...
              X