How do I give away a non-running Wagoneer? (SoCal)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fred foobar
    230 Tornado
    • Apr 03, 2011

How do I give away a non-running Wagoneer? (SoCal)

So about 17 years ago, I bought an 1980 Wagoneer, as-is.

Didn't know I wouldn't be able pass smog. Used it for half a year or so, got it registered in my name but couldn't get a new pink slip (have original pink signed by owner) because of the smog issue.

Parked it at my mom's in SoCal, fast forward 15 years later living in NorCal but it is still down there and I really don't have the time or resources to bring it up so it is finally time for us to part ways.

I would rather give it to a member here than sending it off to the bone yard.
  • Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
    Cherokee Outlaw
    • Jan 10, 2006

Where in SoCal? I may be in Lemoore come Feb and may be interested.
    -Jonny B.
    1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
    AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
    NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
    F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
    R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
    1979 Wagoneer - Sold
    1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• babywag
      out of order
      • Jun 08, 2005

You can get the title if that's your main concern?
      Need to put it on non-op and do a title only transfer.

If it is still in PO's name you would need a bill of sale signed by them, and one signed by you for new owner if it is not in your name.

Post up on my the for sale forum someone will take it. John already expressed interest so it shouldn't be hard to find it a new home.
      Tony
      88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• lycanthrope
        258 I6
        • Mar 26, 2007

Also, pm sent.
        tommy
        '83 j10 pioneer 258/t5/208...gone
        '81 j10 sportside 258/t176/208
        '76 j10 shortbed 360/th400/QT
        '81 j10 sportside 258/tf999/208
        '74 j10 shortbed ...gone

Comment

• SJTD
          304 AMC
          • Apr 26, 2012

Shouldn't need a Bill of Sale from the previous owner. The signed pink is enough.

There's going to be some big back fees. If you put it on Non-Op you will have to pay them otherwise the new guy will.

If you aren't going to put it in your name, make it easier on your victim and go on the DMV's site and download a Statement of Fact and fill it out to splain what happened. You can get a genuine official Bill of Sale too that he will need from you.
          Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
            Cherokee Outlaw
            • Jan 10, 2006

Originally posted by babywag
            You can get the title if that's your main concern?
            Need to put it on non-op and do a title only transfer.

If it is still in PO's name you would need a bill of sale signed by them, and one signed by you for new owner if it is not in your name.

Post up on my the for sale forum someone will take it. John already expressed interest so it shouldn't be hard to find it a new home.
            Originally posted by SJTD
            Shouldn't need a Bill of Sale from the previous owner. The signed pink is enough.

There's going to be some big back fees. If you put it on Non-Op you will have to pay them otherwise the new guy will.

If you aren't going to put it in your name, make it easier on your victim and go on the DMV's site and download a Statement of Fact and fill it out to splain what happened. You can get a genuine official Bill of Sale too that he will need from you.
            Being on deployment right now is killing me. But I'd love to take it as where I'm at won't require me to pay back fees or smog it.
            -Jonny B.
            1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
            7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
            AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
            NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
            F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
            R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Wagoneer - Sold
            1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• fred foobar
              230 Tornado
              • Apr 03, 2011

Thanks for the info everyone.

The Wag is located at my Mom's place close to Pasadena, CA.

I do have the signed pink slip from the PO and a CA vehicle reg in my name, but no CA title due to the smog issues. Didn't even think about back fees.

It will need an engine rebuild at the least, sitting for maybe 15 yrs, don't know what my lol bro did to it after I moved.

I'll be down in the L.A. area the end of Nov and will take pics.

Comment

• Cherokeeowner
                258 I6
                • Jul 25, 2010

Originally posted by fred foobar

I do have the signed pink slip from the PO and a CA vehicle reg in my name, but no CA title due to the smog issues. Didn't even think about back fees.

It will need an engine rebuild at the least, sitting for maybe 15 yrs, don't know what my lol bro did to it after I moved.

I'll be down in the L.A. area the end of Nov and will take pics.
                What happens if you sell it to someone in a state without pollution regs?
                Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

"Proud to be prissy."

1988 Grand Wagoneer

1986 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• babywag
                  out of order
                  • Jun 08, 2005

If it has been that long back fees will be gone, and it will be out of the DMV system. When it's out of the system a VIN verification is required to get a CA title in your name.

Best to just fill out the DMV bill of sale and let someone else have that kind of DMV fun.
                  Tony

Comment

• joe
                    • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by fred foobar

Don't confuse title and registration. Title shows ownership of vehicle. Reg shows status of vehicle, as in legal to be on public roads. The old title the PO signed off and gave you just means he's releasing interest in the car. It's not your car legally till you pay the sales tax and get the title transfered in your name. You can't legally sell or give away a car that isn't legally yours. If you did the proper title transfer and paid your taxes at the time and lost the title since you can apply for a duplicate. It's about $40 here in WA. Even a junkyard can't legally take a car w/o a title. Unless you sell/give the car away as a parts car you're screwed w/o a title if the next guy tries to put it back on the street or get a title. The state will come back to you with questions and a bill why you didn't transfer the title when you bought it. States do love their tax money.
                    joe
                    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• rocnhorse
                      230 Tornado
                      • Oct 02, 2016

If you have AAA just walk into the office, give them the VIN and docs you have and see what they say.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                        Administrator
                        • Oct 31, 2016

If it has been that long back fees will be gone, and it will be out of the DMV system. When it's out of the system a VIN verification is required to get a CA title in your name.

Best to just fill out the DMV bill of sale and let someone else have that kind of DMV fun.
                        Exactly. its actually better if it hasn't been registered in that long because its easy to get it through and get a pink slip for it when it falls out of the DMV system.

You can go in there and say you bought it 15 years ago and it has been sitting in your driveway since and you have no paperwork. They rest is pretty easy to get a pink slip. Most any CHP/Police can do the VIN verification without it leaving the driveway (they will come to you if you call and ask).

I'm in Camarillo (About an hour from 'Dena) if you need some help. I am fighting with my 79 Cherokee to get through smog, right now. it fell out of the system too (hasn't been registered since '96).

In fact, if you could get me a few high res pictures of your engine compartment, the smog decal on your radiator support I would REALLY appreciate it! that would help me ALOT!
                        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                        (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                        (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                        79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                        (Cherokee Build Thread)
                        11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                        09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• fred foobar
                          230 Tornado
                          • Apr 03, 2011

Originally posted by joe
                          Don't confuse title and registration. Title shows ownership of vehicle. Reg shows status of vehicle, as in legal to be on public roads. The old title the PO signed off and gave you just means he's releasing interest in the car. It's not your car legally till you pay the sales tax and get the title transfered in your name. You can't legally sell or give away a car that isn't legally yours. If you did the proper title transfer and paid your taxes at the time and lost the title since you can apply for a duplicate. It's about $40 here in WA. Even a junkyard can't legally take a car w/o a title. Unless you sell/give the car away as a parts car you're screwed w/o a title if the next guy tries to put it back on the street or get a title. The state will come back to you with questions and a bill why you didn't transfer the title when you bought it. States do love their tax money.
                          Thanks for the info Joe, good to know.

From what I recall when I went to the CA DMV, when I paid the fees it was switched over to my name which is why I got a registration printout with my name and address (looked to be the same as current reg papers), but I couldnt get a new CA title until I got the smog signoff. That is where it went downhill.

I will go to the DMV armed with everyone's helpful advice, definitely dont want the next person holding the bag with this Wag.

Rang, will take tons of pics hopefully it will help you out as well.

When all is said and done, I'll follow up here and let everyone know what the process/experience is (at least for me here in CA).

Thanks everyone!!!

Comment

• babywag
                            out of order
                            • Jun 08, 2005

Ask for a "title only" transfer.
                            Most people don't know that they are required to do a title transfer if you ask.
                            But you have to tell them that's what you want to do.

Smog is only a requirement for registration NOT a title.
                            If you are a AAA member it is much easier than dealing with DMV.
                            Tony

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                              Administrator
                              • Oct 31, 2016

Ask for a "title only" transfer.
                              Most people don't know that they are required to do a title transfer if you ask.
                              But you have to tell them that's what you want to do.

Smog is only a requirement for registration NOT a title.
                              If you are a AAA member it is much easier than dealing with DMV.
                              That's exactly correctly. When I brought my Cherokee paperwork in 2 weeks ago, I paid for the title transfer fee ($16) and sales tax($75). Previous owner paid for registration for 2017 but the registration is not complete because there is no smog cert yet. I did get a temp 60 day moving permit though (for no cost) and the title is being mailed right now.
                              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                              (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                              (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                              79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                              (Cherokee Build Thread)
                              11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                              09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

Working...
                              X