• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MidTNJasonF
    230 Tornado
    • Mar 16, 2016

Project Hodge - A 1964 J200 Turbo Diesel Swap Story

Well let me introduce Hodge. A 1964 J200 Turbo Diesel Swap Story that I hope has a happy ending at some point.

I discovered a friend had this truck sitting about an hour away from home. He had picked it up from someone needing a bit of cash. He quickly realized it was far beyond what he wanted to deal with and he was starting a business so no time was a premium commodity.
    I traded him some stainless sanitary fittings and other brewery equipment I had laying around and found a roll back to drag her home to my garage.

Hodge got his name because he is a bit of a mess, and Hodge Podge of really shoddy work done over the decades. There was a non running 360 from a later FSJ under the hood. That was mated to an unknown condition TH400 and a 1339 that I suspect was not in great shape since it had been running with the front hubs unlocked. Speaking of the front end ol' Hodge was sitting on some lift blocks made from square tube between the axle and the spring pack. Hodge also has rust and rot, lots of rot.

Here is how Hodge looked the day I drug him home.

It has sat in my garage for about a year now as I contemplate a path forward and acquire parts as they become available. Not much has changed on the truck in that year but a few weeks ago I ended up with some key pieces that determined the future of Hodge.

That massive chunk of metal now sits on the shop floor and will be transplanted into the heart of Hodge.

This is a 2001 6.5 TD engine, 4L80e transmission, and NV 242 AMG from a HMMWV Hummer.

The (hopefully) completed project will consist of:

6.5 TD engine
    4L80e trans
    undecided TC (see below)
    undecided front axle (see below)
    FF 14 Bolt rear with 4.56 gears and a Yukon Dura Grip. Disk brake conversion.
    Hydroboost conversion.
    Leaf sprung front and rear for version 1.0 (possibly linked later)
    Custom fabricated bed to mimic the look of a M715 or M105A2 military bed/trailer
    Bed and frame will get chopped just after the rear leaf shackles.
    Rack for the Kayaks with a canvas style topper to protect the camping gear.
    Fabricated front and rear bumpers (front winch)
    Version 2.0 may get a slightly extended wheel base when the leafs are replaced with a link suspension.
    Interior is getting Dakota seats a simple radio setup and my UHF/VHF/HF gear.
    Version 2.0 will also likely get Air Con but that getting version 1.0 on the road is the priority.

The goal of project Hodge is to have a fairly robust camping, fishing, and hunting truck that can handle a drive to work or a Home Depot run on occasion. Overlanding is all the rage these days so I would say this will be in the vain of a hybrid Overlanding and Light Trail rig.
  • MidTNJasonF
    230 Tornado
    • Mar 16, 2016

Held for discussion of front axle / transfer case discussion.

Comment

• MidTNJasonF
      230 Tornado
      • Mar 16, 2016

The rear axle is already sourced and waiting on install.

This is a FF 14 Bolt from a late 90's 2500 Suburban.

It was rebuilt with all new seals, bearings and gears.

Gear Selection was thick cut US Standard Gear 4.56 ring and pinion.
      I put in a Yukon DuraGrip Limted Slip.
      Many will question the limited slip but I prefer a properly setup limited slip for a vehicle that sees street and mixed use. The trade offs that comes with off road when compared to a true locker are acceptable to me. I am not building a true hardcore off road rig at this time.

I need to bolt the Disk Brake kit onto it and cut off brackets before I hang it under the truck and weld on new perches.

Comment

• MidTNJasonF
        230 Tornado
        • Mar 16, 2016

I scrounged together some wheels and tires for Hodge to get going. The tires are not new but will serve as good rollers to get it on the road and driving.

8x6.5 17" wheels.
        315/70-17 Mickey Thompson's

I will be sticking with a 35" to 37" size tire even when I replace these.

I like the 17" wheels for tire availability and not being ridiculously oversized for a classic truck.

Comment

• MidTNJasonF
          230 Tornado
          • Mar 16, 2016

Not sure why pics are not working like they should. I will have to look into that tomorrow.

Comment

• JPSwapMohn
            304 AMC
            • May 01, 2004

I agree with you on the 17” wheels. I have 2 different sets of H2 17” wheels for my GW (now with 3/4ton axles). I think they are a good balance between the 15” stockers and the 20+ things on rigs today.

What kind of power/torque are the 6.5 TD’s rated at?
            One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.

88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, F150 fuel cell, discs, J20 axles, Truetrac & Grizzly, 3.73
            http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
            95YJ, STaK 300, D44's, SOA, ARB's, 4.56s, Bilsteins, 35" KM2's
            50 CJ3A
            77 J-10, 360/T-18/D20, SOLD

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
              360 AMC
              • Oct 02, 2002

Looking forward to more on your build. That differential picture looks so good you could hang it on a shop wall. I put a rebuilt 4L80E in a CUCV with a 6.2. I bought a US Shift controller after reading lots of reviews, and have been super happy with it. The basic unit at the bottom of their product line, but it has worked flawlessly for a couple years now. The tech support before buying it was really good. They made sure I was set up right for the diesel. I moved a couple shift points on the laptop, but like it and would recommend it. I'll be watching the build here.
              Melford1972 says...
              I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
              -----------------------
              I make wag parts
              1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
              1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
              1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
              1968 M715 restomod
              2001 Dodge 3500
              2002 Toyota Tundra
              2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
              Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

Working...
              X