• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 87FSJ
    230 Tornado
    • Jun 13, 2012

aftermarket cam/lifters install question

Hello everyone,

Well the fun has begun! I started to tear the Wagoneer down to replace old parts with some new better parts. It all started with just wanting to do an intake carb swap. Now I'm contemplating a new cam and lifters. I figured while replacing the water pump, timing chain, fuel pump, oil pump rebuild, intake and cam why not do the cam as well. I was thinkin about using this
    http://m.summitracing.com/search?keyword=Edl-2132. My question is, can you install this cam and lifters without having to do anything with the push rods or rockers? I read where it says that these rockers are not adjustable. Just torque them down and that's it. Didn't see where it said anything after an aftermarket cam was installed. Found some real good threads on people installing new water pump and timing chain and there tricks that made it a little easier. Haven't found much stating wether or not you have to address any on the valve train. Any pointers or experiences with this would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks all!
  • austinaubinoe
    360 AMC
    • Aug 08, 2010

HEY! Here is my long, drawn out thread from 2 summers ago. Keep in mind I had no idea what I was doing! Was a fun project.

Ok so my water pump is really making some noise now and I wont risk another mile. Need this done so I can drive it to PA Jeeps on july 21st and 22nd. This is what I have laid out in my garage: -2 new belts, pretty sure there 2 of the main ones -oil pressure sender -3 new goodyear hoses -HD radiator flush (NOT

Timing chain is a good idea because you will probably break some bolts in the timing cover. Best trick I learned was to heat the steel bolts really hot with a MAP torch and then cool them back down with PB blaster. Do this a couple times and then try to work the bolt back and forth to loosen it from the aluminum.
    Austin

1991 Hunter Green Grand Wagoneer
    5.9 2bbl-727-NP229-TFI-30x9.5 Firestone M/T's-Brush Guard-tire mount
    SOON: 4350 and cast iron intake

Others:
    -1994 Baby Grand
    -2000 XJ cherokee on Tons
    -1953 REO M35A2 6x6
    -1955 Willys Pickup

Originally posted by rustywagoneers_com
    i am not an addict, i can stop anytime.
    i dont have a problem, you people have the problem.

Comment

• 87FSJ
      230 Tornado
      • Jun 13, 2012

Yeah, thanks! that's the one thread I found, has some good pointers especially with the pics! I got water pump off and the timing cover bolts loose but have to pick up a puller for the balancer. I was just a little unsure if once I installed the cam can I just torque the rockers down?

Comment

• REDONE
        304 AMC
        • Aug 19, 2002

Bridged rockers are "torque and forget" because the pivots make direct contact with the rocker bolt bosses. To "adjust" bridged rockers you have to shave the bottom of the pivots or shim them. If you have one piece bridges you have to shave or shim the intake and exhaust together, compromising between the two, with three piece bridges you have a little more lee way.
        2012 Winner of the Prestigious Ouray Cast Iron Butt Award
        79 J-10 - The Money Badger!
        304/T18/D20/D44s
        What's been did:
        Holley 4160/Ede' S.P.2.P.
        MSD Streetfire based TFI
        Custom-hack gauge cluster
        Razor swap
        Fancy exhaust (Thrush Muffler)
        2 knob tape deck!
        3" homebuilt lift
        Half a hillbilly paint job

Comment

• jdaniel83
          350 Buick
          • Sep 26, 2008

Last Spring I did the cam/lifters swap with pretty much the exact same cam that you are looking at. There's no need to do anything to the springs, pushrods, etc unless you have some bent pushrods in which they will need to be replaced. All you need to do is torque the rocker bolts down to spec (19 ft/lbs. if memory serves me correctly) in stages and the valves are set.
          '89 GW; 4" Susp Lift on 32" Wild Country MTX; 360, HEI, Edelbrock Intake, Melling MTA-1 Cam, Summit 600 carb, 3.73 Gears

'70 Wagoneer; stock Buick Dauntless 350, TH400; 3.73 stock gears

'83 Wagoneer Limited; stock 360, 727, 3.31 gears.

Comment

• joe
            • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by 87FSJ
            Hello everyone,

Well the fun has begun! I started to tear the Wagoneer down to replace old parts with some new better parts. It all started with just wanting to do an intake carb swap. Now I'm contemplating a new cam and lifters.
            How far "torn down" is it? How many miles on the motor?
            IMHO if it's a high miles motor (100,000+) and you want to swap cams you'll need to install new cam bearings. That will require the motor to be out of the car.
            joe
            "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• 87FSJ
              230 Tornado
              • Jun 13, 2012

Thanks for the replays fellas! Jdaniel83, exactly what I was looking for. I also spoke with edelbrock when I ordered the cam and lifters. Shouldn't have any issues installing and bolt everything back down! Joe, my jeep has about 115,000 on it and pulling the motor right now is not much of an option. Gonna roll the dice and hope that there is no issues with cam bearings or anything related for that matter. Working out doors and in south jersey this time a year starts to drop in temp.

Comment

• rustywag
                258 I6
                • Jul 23, 2002

Should be no reason to have to replace the cam bearings if the engine carried decent oil pressure. I have never heard of anyone wearing out cam bearings in 30+ years of hot rodding.
                99 Grand Cherokee 4.7 2" lift 32" BFG M/T's "everything works and it gets good mileage" - But its Not an FSJ
                97 Ram 1500 4X4
                78 CJ7 258 Clifford cam, intake, Holley 390 4.0 Head/T-176/D-300 4" superlift & 33's
                01 Tahoe for the Wife (soon to be my DD)
                79 Dodge Lil Red Express
                11 JK Rusty's lift and 35's (Wifes new ride)

Comment

• Walt
                  350 Buick
                  • Feb 24, 2003

Originally posted by 87FSJ
                  Thanks for the replays fellas! Jdaniel83, exactly what I was looking for. I also spoke with edelbrock when I ordered the cam and lifters. Shouldn't have any issues installing and bolt everything back down! Joe, my jeep has about 115,000 on it and pulling the motor right now is not much of an option. Gonna roll the dice and hope that there is no issues with cam bearings or anything related for that matter. Working out doors and in south jersey this time a year starts to drop in temp.
                  Like REDONE said, they're only non-adjustable in the sense that no adjustment is provided, there's nothing magic about these engine that makes the valvetrain self-optimizing. And just because it all fit together great when it left the factory doesn't mean it will be ideal after swapping some fundamental components. If the head has been milled, different cam, valves and/or seats changed or other changes, the geometry is not necessarily stock and just bolting everything back down may quickly bring sadness.
                  One example, my engine had been worked on in the past and the pushrods were not standard length to compensate.
                  Do yourself a favor and get the shim kit, then check the setup before you just bolt it together.
                  90 G Wag.- New Motor/Trans/TC...Soon to have TBI!: CS-144 Alt; Parallel Flow A/C Condenser; Read this BEFORE you install an HEI ignition module!

Comment

Working...
                  X