• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SC/397
    Administrator
    • Feb 01, 2010

Rering 360+268H for DBX11

I finally took a 360 apart that looked really good inside. Good enough to throw new rings, bearings, cam at it and go. Basically, other than hot tanking the block and honing it, it didn't need any machining. The timing was right for DMX11 because he was in need of a engine in kind of a hurry. So, a refresh with the 268H Comp Cam. One of my favorites for a 304 or 360.
    360268H by Rick Jones, on Flickr

I had to finish this one up before I could get to it though. A 401 with a Cross Ram and dual 600 Holleys. I put the small 280H cam in it and compression is at 9.5:1. All the wrong parts it seems to me to go under a Cross Ram but it is a street car application that just has to look cool. Amazingly enough, it runs like a top and takes all of the carburetion well. It doesn't put out as much power as a Torker with a single 4 barel does but cool it does look.
    401xram by Rick Jones, on Flickr
    XRamIMG_3128 by Rick Jones, on Flickr
    Last edited by SC/397; 08-04-2017, 08:08 AM.
    The Squeaky Wheel gets replaced in my world
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

resized that ginormous pic
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• SC/397
      Administrator
      • Feb 01, 2010

Thanks! Not used to the Flickr thing yet.

Comment

• babywag
        out of order
        • Jun 08, 2005

Dunno what it is, but have always liked the look of that dual 4bbl setup.
        Tony
        88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• rockosocko
          232 I6
          • Jun 20, 2014

SC/397- Are those "Smithy's" glass packs?
          Like their sound!

Another engine building question.
          I've got a real low mileage 360 that ran great and smooth, that I"d like to do a 're-fresh' also. BUT.. don't know enough on the sizes of the cam bearings,
          that I might be able to use a Cam installation tool mostly used for Chevy's.
          I see them cheap on Ebay but they all say for chevy (the rear 'holder' of the bearing as it goes in the journal)
          I also have a couple Caddy motors that I need to build too.
          Might YOU know if these can use the same?
          Thanks. Errol
          Last edited by rockosocko; 08-04-2017, 11:23 AM.

Comment

• SC/397
            Administrator
            • Feb 01, 2010

I have no idea what kind of mufflers those are besides.. chrome ones. LOL! My uncle got them at a garage sale and I took them.
            If it is like everything else when you compare a sbc to a AMC engine (nuts bolts etc.) everything is smaller on the chevy so I assume that the cam bearings are too. I had a cam bearing tool machine up for me years ago. These are the dimensions of my cam bearing tool.
            1.358"
            1.386"
            1.413"
            1.445"
            1.480"
            I use a pilot at the first cam bearing journal. The diameter of that insert is 1.586"

Comment

• DBX11
              258 I6
              • May 18, 2009

Its gonna be so nice to have an engine that runs like its supposed to, Rick thanks again for giving a darn about these old engines like you do! If I had gone ahead with the build myself It would have been a mess in my garage for months, and without a stand to break it in on would have been some kinda misery.

Comment

• SC/397
                Administrator
                • Feb 01, 2010

Well your old engine couldn't have ran like it is suppose to. in fact, I can't believe it ran at all!
                Scuffedpiston by Rick Jones, on Flickr
                Tchain by Rick Jones, on Flickr
                Lifter2 (2) by Rick Jones, on Flickr
                Lifter1 (2) by Rick Jones, on Flickr

This will be a nice engine for you. I want to keep it for myself..
                360268H1 by Rick Jones, on Flickr

Comment

• rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

Hey Rick, if you get a chance can you reply to my post on the 343 pistom thread. Thanks

Comment

• DBX11
                    258 I6
                    • May 18, 2009

It's installed

It runs, it moves and it stops again! Gotta button up a few last things like the fenders and a small trans pan leak but basically 20 minutes per day for the last 8 months and another old one is back on the road again. Now with new frictions piston seals and a new torque converter for the trans.
                    While it was apart I found out why it was puking out the dipstick, the vent tube on the top was pushed in too far...also new quadratrac fluid in the transfer, 5 new ujoints in the driveline and the tfi upgrade for the 360 which will also get an msd 6 box after I get everything else rebolted to the inner fenders.

Many thanks to Rick for building the 360 for me and all the details he remembered that I forgot about! Hope to get some work done with this Jeep for years to come.

Comment

• DBX11
                      258 I6
                      • May 18, 2009

Update

Hit 80mph on the highway today! It runs smooth with plenty of pedal left... gets moving real nice for a full time 4wd. I?ll eventually get an intake and 1406 for it but it?s ?like new? and all stock except for the 268h, tfi and that?s ok!

Comment

• SC/397
                        Administrator
                        • Feb 01, 2010

Comment

• gophman
                          232 I6
                          • Mar 05, 2015

What cam would you recommend for my 360 in a j4500?
                          It already has an eddy intake, 600 Holley's and headers/dual 2.5" system? As far as I'm aware it's stock apart from that I have been thinking about an eddy performer grind or the 268 in your build.

Comment

• SC/397
                            Administrator
                            • Feb 01, 2010

I like the Performer grind in a 304. Not lopey or anything but they just sound healthy and they run well too. As I have stated before, the 268H or the Isky 270HL are my go-to cams for a nice cam that doesn't hurt low end torque, sounds good, and pulls hard from idle on up.

Comment

• Fast Eddie
                              230 Tornado
                              • Mar 11, 2018

Comp Cam

I am running the 268H Comp Cam in my 360, what timing do you have your engine set at? Just wondered, I bumped mine up a bit and it ran much better.
                              THX

Comment

Working...
                              X