• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • baybilly
    304 AMC
    • Jul 10, 2004

Scorpion roller rockers on 401

has anybody used them on a 401. i did a search and see Walt had some good info on it as well as others. i'm dealing with the cast # 3216090-1 heads from a 72/73 401 with the screw in studs, not bridged rockers. i'm looking at the maddog racing push rod guide plates and the scorpion roller rockers at 1.6 for a valve train upgrade to go along with the rebuild. i had to go .030 on the bore, it didn't need that but i couldn't find .020 pistons with out breaking the bank with keith black. i went with 9.5 pistons.I'm having the block decked and sending the crank/ rods/ pistons/new balancer and new flex plate out to house of balance to make sure it's right. i'm still up in the air on my cam, so here's my Q's

1- are the maddog guide plates a bolt in with no mods?
    2- are the scorpion rockers good for this set up?
    3- will the stock valve covers still fit over the rockers?
    4- any input on cams with this set up?
    5- is their any way to stop this sickness, i'm picking up another one next week.
    I'll keep my guns, money and freedom, you can have the change !!!!!
    baybilly = dave
    1980 cherokee 401, TFI,msd, 4", 35's, The money pit!!!!
    77 cherokee S ,parts
    78 j10 , one day i'll get to it.
    84 J10, parts
    51 Willys
    88 XJ, DD
    92 XJ, the other half claimed it, DD
    1966 GT-350 mustang/ project
  • grimgaunt
    350 Buick
    • Aug 06, 2002

I believe Tom Judd (jeepjake on this forum, but he hasnt been on here in years) did that to his 360. email him at [email protected]

Comment

• AMX factor
      360 AMC
      • Apr 06, 2003

Scorpions, Angus and CAT make great AMC rockers. My brother uses Angus I use CAT but have a set of Scorpions to go on a future motor.

If your heads don't have guide plates already you have to mill the pedestals to use them. Scorpions are fine. I think the factory vc's won't work but they might. The Edel chromes ($45) will work though. Depending on how much you mill off the deck and how big a cam grind you might have to go with custom cut pushrods. Cams I go with anything over a 268 advertised duration. On your balance job don't forget any pulleys that are bolted to that balancer.
      "I'm sick of this sickness, don't touch me you'll get this."
      1984 GWag "orphan" for sale
      2 x 1975 Matador "murder machines"
      1970 SST390 Javelin 10 yr project!

Comment

• Walt
        350 Buick
        • Feb 24, 2003

I can't speak from experience on most of the questions, but stock valve covers should work fine. I don't see how the scorpions could be significantly taller than the crane energizers I'm running and I have heard that harland sharp clear factory covers as well.
        Hold the valve cover in place by hand and turn the motor over with the starter to be sure.
        I don't know how much you know about setting up valve trains, but don't learn the hard way like I did. Like amx factor mentioned, don't assume stock pushrodes will work.
        90 G Wag.- New Motor/Trans/TC...Soon to have TBI!: CS-144 Alt; Parallel Flow A/C Condenser; Read this BEFORE you install an HEI ignition module!

Comment

• jeepsr4ever
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • Dec 28, 2002

You dont need guideplates with those heads (3216090. Those rockers are a bolt in..you can use virtually any camshaft you want. Stock valve covers should work.
          AMC/Jeep Forum
          Custom machined AMC/4X4/Race Parts...www.Bulltear.com
          ///
          "We offer performance, reliability and customization for your AMC V8"

Comment

• baybilly
            304 AMC
            • Jul 10, 2004

ya this will be my first valvetrain upgrade. i have always used stock in all my rebuilds in the past. so i now want to get up with the times and maybe make this 401 jump. so i will be picken you guys brains on help with this project. a big thanks in advance.
            grimgaunt- thanks i'll shoot him a e-mail
            AMX factor- thanks i'll be pm-ing you with some cam insights
            Walt- thanks, you gave me some great advice on recurving my 360 dist and it worked fantastic. thanks for your help.

who says a old dog can't learn new tricks
            baybilly = dave
            77 cherokee S ,parts
            84 J10, parts
            51 Willys
            88 XJ, DD

Comment

• jeepsr4ever
              AMC 4 OH! 1
              • Dec 28, 2002

Hope you read my reply before you go and buy guideplates you dont need. 6090 heads have slots for single rockers and dont require guideplates.
              AMC/Jeep Forum
              Custom machined AMC/4X4/Race Parts...www.Bulltear.com
              ///
              "We offer performance, reliability and customization for your AMC V8"

Comment

• baybilly
                304 AMC
                • Jul 10, 2004

Originally posted by jeepsr4ever
                Hope you read my reply before you go and buy guideplates you dont need. 6090 heads have slots for single rockers and dont require guideplates.
                thanks for the heads up. after you posted i went and pulled the valve cover of a 90 360 and i see the difference in the head where the push rod comes through a big round hole. my heads have the slot.is this the guide you are talking about? if this is the case i will have to stay with the same od pushrod as stock right. thanks
                baybilly = dave
                77 cherokee S ,parts
                84 J10, parts
                51 Willys
                88 XJ, DD

Comment

• dusty
                  327 Rambler
                  • Jul 20, 2006

yes that is the slot matt is talking about. early heads have small slots dont need guide plates later heads 74/75-90 have big holes like the 90's you looked at.... think roller rockers and the pushrods walking around then think your heads small holes no room to walk around no worries.
                  Cherokee S Chief Widetrack W/ Cummins 4bta Diesel, 91 dodge intercooler, hy35/9, AC NV4500/D300 3.54's Ploks 4" BJ's w/ 33's, scout 33 gal fuel tank ( Sold, to a good fsj home)
                  The 608.9 hybrid dana 44 build

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

"Dont worry the Coors light engineering department will be documenting this accordingly."

Comment

• jeepfan93
                    304 AMC
                    • Feb 07, 2006

Not to highjack, but I would like info on recyrving the dizzy please.
                    Jeeps are Jeeps, keep Jeepin
                    >It's not about the ten hour drive to get the rust bucket jeep, it's about where your your going when it's done
                    87GW 99 Durango 5.2 drivetrain, SOA 35in Falken Wildpeak. MT rims
                    1997 Ram 1500 5.2 33in Falken Rocky Mounts for haulin

Comment

• baybilly
                      304 AMC
                      • Jul 10, 2004

thanks guys one less thing to to worry about

here ya go lou

baybilly = dave
                      77 cherokee S ,parts
                      84 J10, parts
                      51 Willys
                      88 XJ, DD

Comment

Working...
                      X