long awaitied electric fan conversion...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • youngjeeper
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jan 24, 2003

long awaitied electric fan conversion...

Wag Electric Fan Conversion

We have done two electric fan conversions, one was on my 88' (mech. fan went through radiator ) and one on my dads choptop.

*Donor Vehicles*
    ~95-99 Plymouth Voyager (Dodge Caravan, Chrysler Town and Country) year 1995 was a changing year, so some have this fan, some don?t, so take a tape measure.

~80's Chrysler New Yorker

*Background Info*
    - The Plymouth fan i run on my 88' gw (daily driver). this fan requires *some* trimming to the shroud. we had to trim the top of the shroud and the corners to fit it on the radiator. this fan is run on a stock alternator, and so far has kept the jeep nice and cool -on and off road.

- The New Yorker fan is an *exact* fit. i think we MAY of taken the dremel tool to a couple edges to push it against the radiator a little better. not sure if this fan will run on stock alternator, as in the choptop we have a hi-output alternator. NOTE: this fan as of now, is UNTESTED. we have wired it up and turned it on and it seems to have sufficient air flow, but as of now, the choptop is sitting in the garage.

*Procedure*
    - Remove all hoses from radiator, and unbolt the radiator from the valance w/ the mounts on, set aside.
    - Remove mechanical fan and the double sided bolts that attach to the pulley.
    - When double sided bolts are out, insert in a bolt with a flat head into the pulley (gets more clearance).
    - With the radiator on a table, set the new fan and shroud against the inner side of the radiator.
    - You want the fan to fit flush with the "fins" on the radiator, so do the necessary trimming on the shrouds corners, tops, etc. *NOTE* on the Plymouth fan the shroud should need trimming along the top and corners, and on the bottom where one of the hose necks are.
    - Once it the fan sits flush, your going to want it attached securely to the radiator. Drill holes through the side radiator mounts (that hold it to the valance) and into the shroud. We used long bolts and nuts to fasten the fan to the mounts.

Reinstall the radiator/fan and wire according to following wiring diagram: (will post in a few along with pics)

[ April 20, 2004, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: youngjeeper ]
    88' GW Stock & Mint
    77' CJ-7
    http://gfsj.org/forums
    Choptop/Crew Cab Build-up
    http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=93389
  • youngjeeper
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jan 24, 2003

WIRING DIAGRAM

pics soon..

[ April 20, 2004, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: youngjeeper ]
    88' GW Stock & Mint
    77' CJ-7

Comment

• J10Mike
      Delightfully Incompetent
      • Jun 04, 2003

dan,
      very nice write up. i may be looking into going electric soon. good job
      www.j10mike.com
      Former - 1982 J10 Sportside, 360, TFI, 727/208, J20 axles, D44HD/Detroit TruTrac, D60/Detroit Locker, D60 disk brake conversion, 4.10s, 5 inch Superlift, 35x12.5x16.5 BFGs on AR767 Wheels. Procomp Super Seats. MileMarker 9000 on Cliffhanger front bumper. Dozer II rear bumper. Rhino Grill conversion. NP208 floor shifter conversion.

Comment

• Merc69
        304 AMC
        • Sep 03, 2002

Thanks to you Dan and your dad. Off to the junk yard tomorrow. Can't wait to see the pics.
        Merc69/ Bruce AKA G.O.D. (Grumpy Old Dude)
        "PsyOp" 87 Grand Wagoneer, 360, Powered by Propane, NP-208 t-case, Dana 60 front 4.56 gears-Detroit Locker, Corp 14 bolt 4.56 gears-Detroit Locker. Alcan Springs up front, Chevy 63", Hydraulic Steering

Under Construction: 4 link rear suspension, Klune-v and Ford 205 transfer case

Comment

• Slim
          327 Rambler
          • Nov 18, 2003

awesum job guy ,,,,,i have a nice Chyrsler double fan set up i was lookin last weekend at installing,,,,,,,,,

Perfect timing
          77 Cherokee chief ,360 cid,quadra-trac,chopped /bobbed 12" , 8point cage, front exo ,d60frt 14bolt rear ,38.5x14.5x16.5 on beadlocks ,frt & RR winch,OBA ,SOA,shackle flip rear

** Island Rock Crawlers**

4WDABC Member
          BCWF Member

Comment

• sloop
            327 Rambler
            • Feb 02, 2002

nice write up. i have one question: why do you want the fan to always come on whenever the A/C is engaged?
            Mark
            Jeep 4.0L Swap Guide

Comment

• jode
              JB Welder
              • Apr 08, 2002

If I may,
              AC uses a chemical (somewhat akin to your radiator coolant) flowing through a system (somewhat akin to your engine?s cooling system) which must be cooled in a set of fins (somewhat akin to your radiator) in order to work. AC doesn?t bring cold in, it transfers the heat from the interior of your rig to the exterior where the fan is used to blow ?cool? outside air over the fins of the AC system so that the heat that your AC system just brought to the exterior doesn?t get brought right back into the interior as it cycles through the system. If the fan weren?t on when the AC was on, your AC would only work when you were hauling booty down the freeway. Clear as mud?
              No FSJs for the time being - "I'm working on it, I'm working on it" (think Mike Meyers' SNL skit about the gut)

Comment

• roadgrime
                350 Buick
                • Apr 17, 2003

additionally the ac being on causes an increase in load to the engine(which causes the temp to rise). having the fan come on with the ac helps ofset this load (or heat increase)

Comment

• youngjeeper
                  AMC 4 OH! 1
                  • Jan 24, 2003

yea the fan comes on w/ac b.c it makes the temperature rise
                  88' GW Stock & Mint
                  77' CJ-7

Comment

• Brad W.
                    360 AMC
                    • Jan 09, 2003

i've got a fan from a 90's grand am. it is fairly small, and i *think* there is enough room to mount it next to the aux. trans cooler. i'll let you know how it goes.
                    Brad W.
                    1979 wag "Nightmare"
                    **project shelved indefinetly**

m715 ex-firetruck
                    **project shelved**

2001 Dodge Ram 2500 "Project Juggernaut"
                    24v-CTD/NV-4500/quad-cab/4x4
                    4" straightpipe, rollin on beadlocked 37's.
                    Big as a freight train, as loud as one too.

Comment

• TimK
                      350 Buick
                      • Jul 11, 2001

Has anyone put an electric fan on a I6 258?
                      I imagine that the double fan dodge minivan or new yorker fits the 360's and not the 258's...
                      93 XJ Sport 4dr / 4.0/ 5 spd/ 2" lift - ready for daughter start learning to driving
                      Sold - 84 Grand Wagoneer/ 360/ 727/ np208/ 3.31 (axel from 81 w/ manual hubs)
                      Sold - 81 Wag (parts)/ 70 Wag/ 71 Wag (parts)

Comment

• youngjeeper
                        AMC 4 OH! 1
                        • Jan 24, 2003

oh yes good point, i do have a 360 engine, which has a bigger radiator then a 258. i guess if you have a 258, just goto the junkyard with a tape measure...you can still use my wiring diagram/directions. i was actually luckey enough to find a GW radiator at the junkyard to compare my fans too

i also need to add the plymouth fan, is a SINGLE large fan, w/shroud covering around it, the new yorker fan is a dual fan setup

[ April 22, 2004, 04:41 AM: Message edited by: youngjeeper ]
                        88' GW Stock & Mint
                        77' CJ-7

Comment

• Max Power
                          327 Rambler
                          • Sep 25, 2001

I did a dual fan conversion, worked fine, but if I still had a/c, I might consider adding a third pusher fan in front of the a/c condenser. Mercedes does it like that.

Cheers,
                          Robert
                          www.rbk3.com/fsj
                          1980 Jeep Cherokee Laredo WT 360/727/208
                          1980 MBZ Euro 300D 4-speed manual - Oil Squeezer
                          1984 MBZ Euro 300D 5-speed manual - Oil Squeezer

Comment

• HeepofaJeep
                            327 Rambler
                            • Jul 25, 2002

If you have a 258, I know for a fact a tuarus electric fan out of a car with a 3.8 engine will work perfect. It is two speed and readily has enough power to use as a primary fan

It is a rather "trendy" swap on Pirate 4x4 right now.

I have not tried it in a fsj, but in a cj, and if I can fit it in my CJ, where I have less than 5 inches between the water pump pulley and the radiator, I know you can fit it in a FSJ.
                            Check out Sore4x4.com for a 4x4 site local to SW Washington/Oregon!

Comment

• TimK
                              350 Buick
                              • Jul 11, 2001

thanks for the reference guys!

Heep - I'll be back in the area soon.
                              I might try to make it up for the pnw get together upcomming next saturday... (just for the morning -I've got to go to Ohio the next day)
                              93 XJ Sport 4dr / 4.0/ 5 spd/ 2" lift - ready for daughter start learning to driving
                              Sold - 84 Grand Wagoneer/ 360/ 727/ np208/ 3.31 (axel from 81 w/ manual hubs)
                              Sold - 81 Wag (parts)/ 70 Wag/ 71 Wag (parts)

Comment

Working...
                              X