• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lister
    232 I6
    • Mar 15, 2003

Chrysler 440 swap?

I've been keeping an eye out for a V8 engine/trans combo to swap out my non-running 258/4 speed (82 Laredo Widetrack). Wanted keep it simple with an older carb setup (preferrable 360 or 401, but nothing near me yet). A 1975 Crysler 440 from a New Yorker came up close to me for $500. Comes with a 727.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

I know nothing about these. Good option? Would a big block fit ok? Can the tailhousing of the 727 be changed to accept a tcase?
    82 Laredo Mopar 440
  • Ristow
    • Jan 20, 2006

yes and yes.
    Originally posted by Hankrod
    Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
    ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• Mikel
      • Aug 09, 2000

I have no idea if any of those things fit. But do it
      1969 M715 6x6
      1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

• Lister
        232 I6
        • Mar 15, 2003

Bought it. Compression tested good. Stoked!
        82 Laredo Mopar 440

Comment

• rang-a-stang
          Administrator
          • Oct 31, 2016

Oh man!!! AWESOME! Get some pictures and a story posted!!! That sounds AMAZING!!!!
          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
          (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
          (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
          79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
          (Cherokee Build Thread)
          11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
          09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Rusty76
            258 I6
            • Jul 15, 2018

Very cool good job
            1976 Jeep Wagoneer
            Rebuilt, 360, TH400, QT.
            Still not running. Soon!

Comment

• rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

Yes regarding the 727. Have a re-builder add the tail assembly from your Jeep 727 to the Dodge 727. Theres another member here that is running a 440 in his FSJ. Not sure the name but search 440 under Topics

Comment

• Ristow
                • Jan 20, 2006

543 cubes outta do it.
                Originally posted by Hankrod
                Ristows right.................again,

... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• Lister
                  232 I6
                  • Mar 15, 2003

Originally posted by rocklaurence
                  Yes regarding the 727. Have a re-builder add the tail assembly from your Jeep 727 to the Dodge 727. Theres another member here that is running a 440 in his FSJ. Not sure the name but search 440 under Topics
                  I've been looking into this. have to source a Jeep 727 for the swap as I have the 4 speed in mine.

I will have a look for the other 440. Thanks. It will be a while before I get to any sort of install, but will definitely post any updates.
                  82 Laredo Mopar 440

Comment

Originally posted by Lister
                    I've been looking into this. have to source a Jeep 727 for the swap as I have the 4 speed in mine.

I will have a look for the other 440. Thanks. It will be a while before I get to any sort of install, but will definitely post any updates.

Run good oil in the 440 to save your bearings. That was their biggest issue I recall. Do NOT run an orange oil filter. I think BJs sells the motor mount kit.

I would update the 727 a bit with parts from a V10/Cummins version since it has an improved front pump and torque converter. Big block 727 was used with the Nissan SD33T 6 cyl diesel with an adapter ring in the Scouts. It looks a lot like the small block 727, BUT identified from each other by the small bolts in the splash pan. Starter is driver’s side on both but the big block bell pattern has 3 small (1/4”? 5/16”?) bolts and small block has 4.
                    The torque converter has the ring gear on the Mopar motor since 1965. There is 2 different crankshafts on the 440s as well. Truck and Motorhome ones often have the 8 bolt crank flange (heavy duty). I would look at doing a SEFI flexplate while it’s apart and replacing the 727 front seal and bushing at the minimum. STP oil treatment is your 727s friend. If you are gentle on the 229 in AWD it will live awhile. It’s too bad they never made an O/D Mopar bigblock patterned 727.
                    Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

I would consider a 4.0L or even stroker 6 swap since it’s a bolt in deal.
                      Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• Herk
                        350 Buick
                        • Jun 12, 2006

The good thing about Torqueflites is that hey tend to be the same except for the bell housing bolt face. If your Jeep has a 727 now, you need the mainshaft and rear housing to convert a 2WD 727-B. OR you could try to find a 4WD big block transmission.

Since you have to completely disassemble the transmission, consider upgrading the internals. Jeep specified a pretty light duty front clutch pack, so you may be better off using the front drum form the Mopar unit.
                        There are 2 rules to success in life...
                        Rule #1: Don't tell people everything you know.

1971 J-4700/Buick 350 Stage 1/TH400/D20/D44/D60/Koenig PTO Winch
                        2005 LJ Rubicon Pretty close to stock

Comment

• Mikel
                          • Aug 09, 2000

Since your truck came with a 258, it probably has relatively low gears. May want to look into some OD trans that will bolt to your 440...
                          1969 M715 6x6
                          1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                            Administrator
                            • Oct 31, 2016

No way! Go buy some skinny pizza cutter tires and have a burn out machine!!!
                            Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                            (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                            (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                            79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                            (Cherokee Build Thread)
                            11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                            09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                            00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

Working...
                            X