International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 11-03-2020, 10:58 PM
232 I6

Well, I went in for a very necessary laparoscopic colectomy last Friday and just got out of the hospital today. Very sore, and not wanting to risk hurting anything in the near future, I won't be posting any updates for a couple weeks at least.

I received my seat belt bolts from TGW recently, so will likely restart where I left off with carpet kit, and installing seat tracks, etc, when I can get back to it.

Please stand by to stand by.

My build thread:
https://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=189245
Old 11-04-2020, 10:21 AM
350 Buick

hey man,

hope you heal quickly,...

so you can get back to what we all love,..

tinkering on FSJ's.......

best of wishes for a speedy recovery.

dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 11-04-2020, 10:55 AM
232 I6

Whoa! Hope you heal quickly and feel better soon. Jeeps wait, it'll be there when you are back up to snuff!
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD
Old 11-08-2020, 07:42 PM
232 I6

Hey rob - trying to take the sunroof out on mine which has been leaking probably for years based on the surface rust. It seems like the the metal casing/box is welded along the sides up where the glass is. Hard to describe, but did you find the same? Is that metal box two separate pieces hard to tell on mine with the rust. Appreciate any insight you have. Hope you are feeling better.
Kerry
Old 11-08-2020, 08:57 PM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waggymcgee
Hey rob - trying to take the sunroof out on mine which has been leaking probably for years based on the surface rust. It seems like the metal casing/box is welded along the sides up where the glass is. Hard to describe, but did you find the same? Is that metal box two separate pieces? hard to tell on mine with the rust. Appreciate any insight you have. Hope you are feeling better.
Kerry

Not sure we have the exact same model sunroof, but based on convos with the sunroof doctor, mine is likely either the ASC 950 or a factory piece with the same measurement specs. What's the glass measure on yours?

The 950 "cam blocks" for the glass attachments match what I have too:
https://www.shopsar.com/ProductDetai...ctCode=SUN8225

Mine is just a huge solid slab of shaped metal. I'll take some better pics when I get healthy. Can you post a pic of yours here to compare?

My build thread:

Last edited by MysticRob : 11-09-2020 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-08-2020, 09:59 PM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticRob
Not sure we have the exact same model sunroof, but based on convos with the sunroof doctor, mine is likely either the ASC 950 or a factory piece with the same measurement specs. What's the glass measure on yours?

The 950 "cam blocks" for the glass attachments match what I have too:
https://www.shopsar.com/ProductDetai...ctCode=SUN8225

Mine is just a huge solid slab of shaped metal. I'll take some better pics when I get healthy. Can you post a pic of yours here to compare

Pretty sure I have the 950. Outside glass measurements are 37.5 x 20.25. I circled where is looks like maybe two pieces connected together. It’s a real mess! It is painted the same blue as the original paint so I thought it might be the asc “factory” sunroof. Here is the link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/B7T1CxfksUi1t2GE7

85 GW w/ HD tow pkg
Old 11-09-2020, 12:07 AM
232 I6

Quote:
Pretty sure I have the 950. Outside glass measurements are 37.5 x 20.25. I circled where is looks like maybe two pieces connected together. It’s a real mess! It is painted the same blue as the original paint so I thought it might be the asc “factory” sunroof. Here is the link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/B7T1CxfksUi1t2GE7

Okay, interesting, it's completely different than mine. Even your attaching brackets are different, much longer. Your rear-most white wiring connector doesn't look like anything I have either.

I'm curious what your sunroof switch looks like, if you have it.

My build thread:

Last edited by MysticRob : 11-09-2020 at 08:28 AM.
Old 11-09-2020, 10:24 AM
232 I6

I added two more pics to that same album. Link above. It doesn’t look like other asc ones I’ve seen. I thought maybe it had been switched out. Pun intended!

85 GW w/ HD tow pkg
Old 11-09-2020, 11:04 AM
232 I6

Quote:
I added two more pics to that same album. Link above. It doesn’t look like other asc ones I’ve seen. I thought maybe it had been switched out. Pun intended!

Yeah, that doesn't look like any other ASC 950 switch I've been researching. Does your sunroof tilt up and down, as well as go forward and backward? I'm guessing it doesn't tilt just based on that switch.

Here's a couple pics of mine, just to compare -- entire assembly:

Bottom sides toward front:

My controller box:

My build thread:

Last edited by MysticRob : 11-09-2020 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-09-2020, 11:59 AM
232 I6

Hmmmmm. Mine is not operable so I’m not sure on the tilt feature. They are definitely quite different. I’m starting to wonder if mine is after market. The way it looks from the top, I thought it matched other ASC’s I’ve seen. I can’t imagine they would not have tilt as a feature in a model later than yours. I’m quickly learning that owning this rig = many hours obsessively researching or looking for parts. My husband is feeling a little left out.

85 GW w/ HD tow pkg
Old 11-09-2020, 12:10 PM
232 I6

I added one more picture to that album. Glass has ‘vh’ in it which might be Hollandia sunroofs. I think I’m just gonna take it to a sunroof place, get them to take it out and work on it while I address roof rust. Thanks for your help and time mystic rob.

85 GW w/ HD tow pkg
Old 11-09-2020, 12:12 PM
232 I6

Quote:
Hmmmmm. Mine is not operable so I’m not sure on the tilt feature. They are definitely quite different. I’m starting to wonder if mine is after market. The way it looks from the top, I thought it matched other ASC’s I’ve seen. I can’t imagine they would not have tilt as a feature in a model later than yours. I’m quickly learning that owning this rig = many hours obsessively researching or looking for parts. My husband is feeling a little left out.

LOL, I know the feeling. I've been researching sunroof parts for weeks now and am still no closer to figuring out what mine should've had. I wish the doofus that ripped out the switch and harness on mine hadn't done that.

I can tell you on my particular model, whatever it is (very likely the ASC 950 from what 2 different sunroof gurus tell me), this wiring pigtail on the driver side bottom of the frame, is for the up/down tilt mechanism:

These holes above my sun visor clip are the only thing I can think of that would've held a bracket (or something) that could've held the sunroof switch on mine. Either that or it was built into a front headliner section, if there was one. We shall see...

My build thread:

Last edited by MysticRob : 11-09-2020 at 12:19 PM.
Old 11-09-2020, 01:39 PM
350 Buick

dang, that sun roof assembly is a beast.

hope you get it figured out.

dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 11-09-2020, 03:17 PM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLSAKS
dang, that sun roof assembly is a beast.

hope you get it figured out.

dave in NC

Me too, Dave. That's part of the reason I'd like to get it completed, it's a monstrous hole in my roof I'd rather not have to weld up if I can help it.

I got in touch with Jake Kelley via the Sunroof Doctor, and Jake may have everything, or close to it, from what he told me earlier today. I'm expecting some pics of the switch, switch frame, wiring harness and connector, and sunroof glass seal that I need. He also says he has the service manual for it. Not sure on total cost, but if I can swing it I definitely will!

He also recommended a trip to Home Depot for a rubber door seal that would function to seal between the rear of the sunroof frame and the roof, since the original seal is no longer available and mine is torn in the middle:

More proof I likely have the ASC 950, this box and harness matches mine, with only 1 wiring color being off. It's the closest thing to mine I've seen:
https://www.shopsar.com/asc-800-950-...-58f5-4767.htm

My build thread:

Last edited by MysticRob : 11-09-2020 at 03:40 PM.
Old 11-09-2020, 03:32 PM
232 I6

Since I'm laid up for at least a few more days (maybe till Saturday?), I figured I could take some documentation pics of the sunroof control module itself.

The sunroof control module was velcro'd onto the roof just behind the driver's head. I removed it months ago and just got around to cleaning the plastic box and checking condition. Looked way better than I thought it would:

Nothing looks blown, cooked, or broken. In fact, what I've been told is the module is usually not the problem, just the switch (which I of course am still looking for):

I'm hopeful Jake will be able to hook me up with everything, or at least point me in the right direction!

My build thread:
Old 11-09-2020, 04:05 PM
232 I6

Jake came through!
Behold a new switch, new complete harness for the new switch, a control module (didn't purchase yet, will test mine with new switch), a glass seal, and a service manual!

Interesting the new switch is just a shiny chrome doodad, and not the typical ASC thing. He said it'll work better and still do what it needs to do for tilt and open/close. Not shown is a bracket he'll be sending along when he finds it, so I can mount the switch.

My build thread:
Old 11-09-2020, 04:47 PM
232 I6

That switch looks just like the one on team wagoneer. I was a little baffled in how the vent feature would work.

85 GW w/ HD tow pkg
Old 11-09-2020, 05:17 PM
232 I6

Quote:
That switch looks just like the one on team wagoneer. I was a little baffled in how the vent feature would work.

Same here. Jake said the controller would take care of it. My guess is you hit it once to tilt, and maybe either hold it longer or hit it a 2nd time to go forward/backward. We shall see in about a week. That switch does make sense for my rig though, as I have only 3 broken leads that would go into a switch, and this fits the color coding and has 3 leads on it.

My build thread:
Old 11-10-2020, 08:43 AM
350 Buick

your digging, and help from members has paid off

that is like the holy grail.....

the chrome switch is same as a GM window switch.

glad you found the parts.

dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC