• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scottb64
    230 Tornado
    • Mar 10, 2014

1987 Grand Waggy Getting Better

I bought my Waggy from my boss early this year. I really did not know anything about these vehicles other than I thought this one was cool! It has a rebuilt 360 and three speed auto. The body is nice other than the rocker panels which have some rust. The interior is also really nice. The boss had it for years and did a lot of the engine work and such. He just happened to mention to me that one day when he drove it home it was "bleeding to death" all down his driveway. Long story short he thought the engine blew up. Being a Jeep guy (a CJ7 and a CJ5) I told him if he wanted to unload it I might be interested if it was cheap. So I bought it cheap after looking at it. Hauled it to my son's place and checked it over. All that was wrong was that there was a rubber line coming out of the radiator for the trans cooler that had split. Yes, it was bleeding fluid everywhere! literally $.89 later I had it fixed.

Fast forward six months and I have learned a lot about this Waggy and I love it! It had been suddenly shutting off while going down the road every once in a while. Then one rainy night last week leaving my son's house about 10PM it did it again and would not start. I popped the hood and started moving around the wiring and then notice the leads going to the coil were loose. The next day I replaced the coil with a style which allows you to screw down the leads rather than having to female terminals that slide on. Problem solved!

Now the only real issue I have is that the transmission wants to slip shifting out of second gear going into third. How do I know what transmission I have? I assume I have the 727 but not sure. Will a TH400 bolt up and work well?

Thanks!
  • Tinkerjeep
    Banned
    • Mar 01, 2009

You have a TF727. A TH400 will not bolt in, as it was not designed to have the same transmission mount and transfer case behind it as the TF727s. You COULD modify it to work using aa stock GM adapter for GM TH400-to-NP208 and later transfer cases but it will likely need a different tranny output shaft and the mount will need to be declocked significantly. Its more money to do that especially if you don't have the Jeep TH400 already.

I'd recommend just having a reputable shop rebuilding your TF727, rather than going on a parts treasure hunt to swap in a Jeep TH400.

Comment

• xGROMx
      232 I6
      • Jun 24, 2008

If your ok with not having an over drive trans then stick with the 727, I have been the snot out of mine and its still going. I was having a slipping feeling when I first got mine also, Took the pan off and found a very dirty filter and darkened fluid. New filter and fluid and its still going strong.

One mod that can be done, and I believe should be is a larger aluminum pan for cooling.

Post what you find.
      [email protected]
      "A Truck is Only Powerful as its Driver"

85 Waggon - SOA+Shackle Flip - OnBoardAir

Comment

• rockrollin
        258 I6
        • Apr 19, 2012

Fluid-filter change, and band adjustment may cure the problem
        OI!IIII!IO "I like fun" Eddie Ott
        Clawed 90 GW
        Slightly off stock

Comment

• Scottb64
          230 Tornado
          • Mar 10, 2014

Thanks guys! Previous owner took it in to a very good shop here and he adjusted the bands and changed the fluid and filter I was told. I think I will drive it a while and see how it goes. If need be I probably have my transmission rebuilt. I know that is the best way to go but sometimes I am a tight-Expletive Deleted!Expletive Deleted!Expletive Deleted!Expletive Deleted!Expletive Deleted! and end up spending more in the long run than if I had just spent the money up front.

Interesting thing today happened. I had two different guys make me an offer to buy my Waggy! I told them that I really did not want to sell it but one of them offered me more than double what I paid for it. Pretty cool knowing I got a great deal on it! The other guy was at Barrett-Jackson last fall and said one sold there for a boat load of money and he knew then that he wanted one.

Comment

• Scottb64
            230 Tornado
            • Mar 10, 2014

Sorry about the "expletive deleted" thing here! I guess you cannot use that three letter word!

Comment

• RWrightPhotog
              327 Rambler
              • Jun 07, 2011

And get the reusable gasket for it too! Mopar Part # 2464324AC

I bought one for my '82 Wagoneer and haven't had a leak from the gasket since - and it's reusable!
              Rob

1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited 360
              1979 Jeep Cherokee 4-Door 258
              1979 Jeep Cherokee Chief 360

Comment

Working...
              X