• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 86j10
    232 I6
    • Nov 26, 2009

Heater/AC dash control ?

A couple years back I had swapped out the dash control out of my 1986 J10 because the plastic overlay was brittle and cracking apart and you could eventually see the lights behind shining thru the cracks. So I had scoured thru my local junk yard and found one that looked very similiar out of a late 80's 90's Cherokee. I unscrewed the wiring off the old and screwed mine onto the new part and re-installed. What I didn't look at was the layout for the fan speeds and heater and ac spots on the new one vs the old one.

Has anyone done this before and ran into the problem where the ac won't kick on after you've switched out the panel?

2 years ago I wanted to recharge my ac because I had assumed it was in need of it because it wasn't cool. I could hear the fan running in the dash but it was just warm air coming out. Myself and a master tech at the chevy dealer I worked for at the time found that the system was still darn near full of R-12. We then put power to the compressor switch and it kicked on and began to cool. So if my assumptions are correct the panel I have is the culprit because somewhere between the dash and the switch on the inner fender isn't getting the electricity it needs is the only thing I can think of.

So with that being said does anyone have the dash control panel for an ac jeep in good uncracked shape I can buy if this leads to being the culprit?
    Or can you tell me what years would be compatible? Thx
    304 AMC
    • Apr 08, 2001

Did you check to see if the compressor clutch wire is connected?

I am not sure but maybe that is what you referred to when you typed "compressor switch".
    David
    76 NT Cherokee
    83 CJ7
    05 Frontier CC 4x2

Comment

• 86j10
      232 I6
      • Nov 26, 2009

nothings been changed other than the dash control. wiring and everything is all ok

Comment

Working...
      X