• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dome
    304 AMC
    • Apr 06, 2000

1979 Cherokee Chief - Pater Matusov

Bought her in June of '98 in a pretty sore state - with 133kmi on the click, donut 235/75 whitewalls (!), 4WD inop, interior totally shot, leaking all fluids ever put in, including gas all over the place including that joint inside the cab. Stank like... oh well, she was banned from parking in our garage for a long while (and still fighting for that right). No mention a zillion of small things going wild, like oil pressure gauge. Two good points - clean body (though with some paint mishaps like partially scrapped black Cherokee Chief strips), and $1500 that I paid for her. Best money I've ever spent on a vehicle.

She was supposed to be a Cherokee Chief, with 360 V8, TH-400, Borg-Warner 1305 Quadra-Trac case (converted to p/t by some of POs), Wide Track Dana 44s f&r, Warn manual hubs.

Since then, nothing radical was done to her. She's got 31x10.5 BFG A/Ts all around, a same-size spare, factory brush guard (served extremely well in numerous trips), 2" blocks in the rear to restore "factory sag", straightened and balanced driveshaft, new engine and xcase mounts, all that smog equipment, MSD Blaster coil (I'm very critical to all aftermarket goodies, but that one improved things a little), new plugs, wires, vac hoses, 4WD works almost flawlessly (even learned to switch to low range on the fly at 10 mph), Bilstein shocks, poly sway bar bushings, Eurotech 2x115W fog lights (work great on trail, almost totally useless otherwise), re-done interior, leather bucket seats from Lincoln MK7, working tailgate motor (assembled from three, one that came with her and two - from the bone yard), Cobra CB (just replacing my current old CB with it) with 4" center-loaded whip (was magnet-mounted, now going to the back pillar), four 6"x9" speakers, and gobs of getchaback stuff.

Taking her to the So Cal trails on the regular basis now - never had that many busy weekends!

Good luck to everyone, one day will put together a website and throw all the pics in it,

Peter Matusov
    San Diego
    '79 Widetrack Cherokee
    83 Wagoneer Limited (R.I.P)
    360, TF727, NP228
    SOA, 35's, WT Axles, 4.10 gears, Detroit Locker
Working...
X