International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tech Archives > Engine

Old 08-17-2000, 01:49 PM
Grease Monkey

Question

I have to replace my powersteering hose (pressure side...$17.00)this weekend. I went to get the part and asked for a 3' lenght of 3/8" hose for the return line. The guy said he was out of bulk and gave me a $13.00 2'hose in a box...nothing special, just hose, except it looked like hydraulic hose. He said that I needed high pressure hose for the return line that could withstand 300psi. I questioned the small 3/8" band clamps currently holding the hose on and he said it could hold more than 300psi.

I didn't think the return line was under that much pressure. Is it? And do I need that high dollar 2' piece of hose or is there something else I could use????

Thanks!!

------------------
Hollywood Dave
'88 Grand Wagoneer, rebuilt 360
Torker cam
32X11.50X15R BFG AT
4" Skyjacker softride
full suspension lift
Edelbrock Performer intake
Edelbrock 4bbl carb
Old 08-18-2000, 04:17 AM
Master Mechanic

Wink

I needed to replace my return hose last week....and I bought the 2 foot one in a box from Pepboys for $9..it also came with the 90 degree piece that goes in the steering box. I figured it was safer to use the "specified" piece than to use a piece of fuel line hose......I do not know the compatibilities of power steering fluid with fuel so for a few extra dollars I got the security that I had the correct piece...

------------------
Peace.............BartG

78 Chero
360 2v, 400 QT with low
almost drivable:
4" skyjacker
33x12.50 BFG KO's
Thorley headers, 3" exhaust
Infiniti power leather seats
Old 08-18-2000, 04:40 AM
Master Mechanic

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I didn't think the return line was under that much pressure. Is it? And do I need that high dollar 2' piece of hose or is there something else I could use????<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There return line is NO WAY 300 psi!! I used the lines that came with the Auto/PS cooler for the return line and haven't had any problems. I think it's 3/8 and if it's 300 psi and those little hose clamps have held on on REALLY well
Old 08-18-2000, 05:31 AM
Master Mechanic

Wink

I used to work at a robotics factory in kalamazoo that produced\rebuilt electric as well as hydraulic robots. And allthough I dont know the specifics of the steering pump\system, I can say that Hydraulic systems are under a LOT of pressure. The smallest pinhole or a bad o ring over in the valve dept. would soak a 50 foot area (what got past the many guards). I remember that some systems were under 600 and even 1200 psi. So 300 doesnt seem unreasonable to me but the fact that its on the return side seems weird.. perhaps the send side is under even more pressure.. you would have to put a guage on it somehow to really check it.

Also, hydraulic connections are very strong, they use barbed nipples that are fairly aggressive. The band clamps or crimp rings dont have to work to hard cause they are seating the rubber down into some pretty good grooves..
Yet another afterthought, I would think that PS fluid wouldnt do anything to fuel line, We had a few robots that were designed for use in "spin casting" and as such were exposed to bigtime heat.. they ran a special oil that had acid in it (cant remember what kind of acid, but nasty stuff) and this acid made the oil fireproof.. and BOY would it eat up rubber gaskets.
------------------
88 Grand Wagoneer
D44's front\rear
AMC 360
TF 727
NP 229 (Funky)
Bone Stock (for now)
NO RUNNING BOARDS!

[This message has been edited by ClarkGriswald (edited August 18, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by ClarkGriswald (edited August 18, 2000).]
Old 08-18-2000, 11:35 AM
Shade Tree Shaman

Exclamation

you guys got ''hosed''.the return line has very little if any pressure.3/8ths fuel hose is fine.anything that carries fuel,will take atf.heck,in a pinch,i used a hunk of washing machine hose. i got this nice low mileage bridge i'm practically giving away.

------------------
'88 gwag
Old 08-18-2000, 02:04 PM
Grease Monkey

Thumbs up

andy d
I thought that was the case. It's been a long time since I have had a vehicle that I can actually repair in my driveway. The good news (Iguess for me) is haven't been "fully hosed" yet. I'll get that 3/8" fuel hose in the morning.
I don't agree with the fact that the parts guys at O'Reily's work on a commission basis!
They could hose a lot of people.
Now...about that bridge????

------------------
Hollywood Dave
'88 Grand Wagoneer, rebuilt 360
Torker cam
32X11.50X15R BFG AT
4" Skyjacker softride
full suspension lift
Edelbrock Performer intake
Edelbrock 4bbl carb