International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 05-08-2019, 10:30 AM
258 I6

GW Window Motors-Right/Left or Interchangeable?

I’m preparing to purchase and change out my door window motors and lock actuators. Does anyone know if the window motors are side of vehicle specific or if they are interchangeable? Some sites I have found that carry these motors specify a side and door, while others specify the same motor for all doors. Help, please?

Also, I bought a roll of Steel Rubber products to replace my rain shields that are shot. Due to my back issue, I can’t seem to get in there, myself, to remove the old stuff, clean and prep the surface for a clean bond. The body shop tells me the doors have to be removed to replace this Weatherstrip. Does anyone know if this is fact, or a method to get more money out of me? Thank you for your assistance.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:14 PM
hey,does anyone here know how to.......

the actual "heads" are different L-R side...

if you are talking about the rubber strips that seal out rain that rub on the glass you can change them out by rolling down the window?

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:
Old 05-08-2019, 04:16 PM
out of order

motors are side specific

I seriously doubt the doors have to come off.
Sounds like they are trying to milk a cow.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:37 PM
258 I6

Not the window wipes. At the front of your front doors, in between the fender and the door, mounted on the door, there is a long Weatherstrip that screws into the door, is then held by plastic push pins in a couple other places, then adhesive running down the door the rest of the way. Replacement rain shields are in prototype, and if they are being made by the same company that makes the weatherstripping for TGW, then I doubt they will fit right. It was recommended that I get a roll of Steel Rubber weatherstripping and replace this shield with this stuff. It sure looks like a good product and they use a 3M adhesive that is used on Indy cars. The problem is, this weatherstripping goes on the door, outward or behind the hinges, just next to the front of the doors surface lip that covers the gap between the fender and the door. I have water running down between my front doors and front pillar. It puddles up in the bottom front radii of the door opening, until it overflows the door opening seals, into the cabin.

Anyone know of a good source for left and right window motors? Preferably new or remanufactured. Mine are very tired, especially the rear doors. Thank you.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texafornian

Anyone know of a good source for left and right window motors? Preferably new or remanufactured. Mine are very tired, especially the rear doors. Thank you.
Before you spend a bunch of money. Have you cleaned up the wires and switches? They get really nasty/corroded in time and it really slows things down till it's all stop. I haven't had a lot of vehicles w/power windows but trouble with most of'em. Never yet had to replace an expensive window motor. New replacement motors are also likely poorer quality than your originals. Clean the switches/connections before buying motors.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:44 PM
hey,does anyone here know how to.......

agree with joe

plus you could in a pinch use any old black stick on stripping to get the job done. all it does as you guessed is to divert and not seal the water,

i have some used OEM stuff somewhere thats in good condition from a grand wag which might fit...

steve

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:
Old 05-08-2019, 08:09 PM
out of order

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
Before you spend a bunch of money. Have you cleaned up the wires and switches? They get really nasty/corroded in time and it really slows things down till it's all stop. I haven't had a lot of vehicles w/power windows but trouble with most of'em. Never yet had to replace an expensive window motor. New replacement motors are also likely poorer quality than your originals. Clean the switches/connections before buying motors.

x2
check voltage @ motors I bet it is low
jumper 12v right to motors to test bet you they are fine
motors rarely are the problem, and *if* one was just find a local auto electric place and have it rebuilt.
reman parts these days are a roll of the dice. more often than not plain junk.

the switches are a big issue on these, you can get new if they are too far gone.
every one i have ever opened up was nasty and corroded inside.

for the front door seals light soapy water then slide them into place and fasten them down. removing the doors is just wasted time & wasting your $$$
Old 05-09-2019, 06:05 AM
232 I6

It is tight but you can remove it with a plastic prybar, Replace it with Steele https://www.steelerubber.com/extrusion-dense-70-2818-60. It is an identical match with tape on one side to hold it dowm. Follow the notches in old piece when making turns. Perfect match.
1978 Jeep CJ-5 (sold)
1968 AM General M35 (Sold)
Palm Beach Gardens, FL