International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 01-09-2019, 12:06 PM
258 I6

Found more pictures of the interior disassemble and before and after.

There's my girl hard at work!

Here's a good shot of how much surface rust we got off of the roof and floor.

Before:

Painting with rust reformer:

And After:

1977 Jeep Wagoneer (Wedding Wagon)
Soon to be a 401!
Old 01-09-2019, 12:15 PM
258 I6

In an attempt to keep water out of the inside of the Wagon I re-did all window seals (quick note when you buy the set they all go in SPECIFIC spot). They look like a seal with 4 press clips but let me tell you each inner and outer have a certain window they go on! I also did the inner and outer seals for the rear windshield as well as what i call the "guide seal" the one the keeps the window on track and seals the top.
New Seals:

The door seals are good enough for now i will do them after i paint it (who knows when that will be) but i have many other things to work on.

Soon to be a 401!
Old 01-09-2019, 02:19 PM
258 I6

Does anyone know of a thread on here about the vacuum actuator for the 4WD?
I searched for a long time but didn't find anything.
I am mostly looking for a replacement since mine is bad, I have seen some mechanical replacements that are a steel line that actuates it instead of vacuum. But they are for CJs of similar years. Does anyone know of these working for Wagons?

Soon to be a 401!
Old 01-09-2019, 03:37 PM
360 AMC

They are getting tough to find. I paid $80 for a NOS one last year on ebay. If you put up a wanted ad in the classifieds here you might get some folks with some extra ones. Are you sure yours is bad or are you looking for troubleshooting advice, too?

Here's a thread I had with some good info in it.
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=184133
The service manual has some good info on it, too. Have you downloaded a service manual yet (they are free, here: http://oljeep.com/edge_parts_man.html)? It really is a good manual.

I am not sure if the CJ actuators would fit but assume they might. I think there is a subtle difference between the CJ and FSJ QT cases but could be wrong.
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 01-09-2019, 06:05 PM
258 I6

Holy Cow that Tom Collins Site is amazing that is some of the best stuff i have seen! I learned more in just the last couple minutes then I have in hours on the web!
Also your thread helped too, sounds like a cable option may work. They make one for the CJ i may just have commit and try it. Or check it out and build my own...
I have no problem with using the vacuum system, a cable may just be more reliable. Also mine is shot it does not hold vacuum in any direction.

Thanks!

Soon to be a 401!

Last edited by Wagoneer Taylor : 01-09-2019 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:14 PM
258 I6

Heres the dash torn apart to see what I need then put back together.
I found an ashtray and bezel out of a black dash Wagon at the junk yard. Have plans to buy a Retro Sound radio, it looks stock but has Bluetooth and AUX plug in hidden in the glove compartment. But this is how it will look for the wedding.

Side note, the blank off plate where the factory clock would be is just painted cardboard to fill the hole. Dont tell the wife

Soon to be a 401!
Old 01-10-2019, 06:19 PM
258 I6

With the interior as good as its going to get for now, i installed the new carpet. I only got the front two sections ( i have planes for the rear trunk area ) so it will stay matte black back there for now.

Painted the front grill black as well, bad picture sorry.

Soon to be a 401!
Old 01-11-2019, 12:25 PM
360 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagoneer Taylor
...Side note, the blank off plate where the factory clock would be is just painted cardboard to fill the hole. Dont tell the wife ...
I have a spare analog clock that does not work, if you want it for shipping. Might look a little better in there...? Not that the carboard is bad, just a clock looks nice, too.

Your carpet looks amazing! What kind did you get?
Old 01-11-2019, 01:43 PM
258 I6

That would be awesome Rang! Ive been looking for a factory clock. Ill PM you.

Thanks, I got the carpet from our favorite Rockauto! They us ACC which is pretty good. I have gotten several carpets from them and they have all been good.

Soon to be a 401!
Old 01-14-2019, 06:14 PM
258 I6

At that point the Wagon was as good as I was going to get it before the wedding, I had got it running and driving and looking as good as it could is the 3 months I had.
I had tackled re-doing the whole fuel system, cooling system, trouble shooting the distributor, and carb. That was just the engine.
We stripped out the entire inside of the vehicle and re-did what we could to make it look presentable. Sourcing parts like a rear bumper, dash pieces, wheels, and trim (SO MANY TRIM PIECES!)
Over all we were very happy with it and loved working on it together. (this is the first car I have gotten the wife to work on with me.) We are not even close to done with it and in trying to get it ready for the wedding found how much will need to be gone through.
Here it is the week before the wedding, i took it to work to show some friends (at this point it still overheated, i ordered the radiator that night and installed it the day before the wedding).

Here's the Wedding Wagon on the day of!

I can post more pictures of it on the day if you guys want to see it, but they are all pretty sappy

Soon to be a 401!
Old 01-14-2019, 06:19 PM
258 I6

We are still working on it so I will pick up from here as to what we do. I am sure I missed some things trying to remember it all, so I will be more diligent from now on.

And thus begins the next stage of the Wedding Wagon, which will be the 401 install! (and maybe I'll fix some rust along the way)

401 Teaser!

Soon to be a 401!
Old 01-15-2019, 08:21 AM
350 Buick

Your efforts make me want to do more work on my 79! I have similar issues....floor rust, engine "Ticking", etc. etc.

What are your plans for the 360? I REALLY need non-AC alternator mounting hardware.

Congratulations on your recent wedding!

I'm subscribed!
Old 01-15-2019, 08:31 AM
350 Buick

I serviced my fuel system. PM me if you need advice. I didn't replace the tank. The PO drilled a 1/2 inch hole into it, so I sealed the hole with 2 part epoxy.
I also replaced ALL fuel lines. There are many and in various sizes. Here's a link.... Removed my QuadraTrac and fuel tank

Quote:
Old 01-15-2019, 08:34 AM
350 Buick

Rockauto sells carpet! I will place a order soon!

Quote:
With the interior as good as its going to get for now, i installed the new carpet. I only got the front two sections ( i have planes for the rear trunk area ) so it will stay matte black back there for now.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:43 AM
350 Buick

I replaced my vacuum actuator. It requires the removal of the QuadraTrac transfer case. Keep in mind if yours is the QuadraTrac, which I'm certain it is, you are full time 4wd. The actuator, when pulled, places the QuadraTrac into Emergency Drive.
I was surprised to learn that max speed in E-Drive is only 20 mph. Thats in accordance with the Tech Service Manual.

Pics here......QuadraTrac BW1339 pictures. PM me if you have questions.

Quote:
Does anyone know of a thread on here about the vacuum actuator for the 4WD?
I searched for a long time but didn't find anything.
I am mostly looking for a replacement since mine is bad, I have seen some mechanical replacements that are a steel line that actuates it instead of vacuum. But they are for CJs of similar years. Does anyone know of these working for Wagons?
Old 01-15-2019, 12:23 PM
258 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood
Your efforts make me want to do more work on my 79! I have similar issues....floor rust, engine "Ticking", etc. etc.

What are your plans for the 360? I REALLY need non-AC alternator mounting hardware.

Congratulations on your recent wedding!

I'm subscribed!

Thanks! Your 79 looks amazing i would never guess it has rust. These FSJs seem to though.

My plan for the 360 was to sell it once its out, you can have the mounting brackets when i pull it though, (as long as i dont need them for the 401 ill have to check) It wont be for a while though.

Soon to be a 401!
Old 01-15-2019, 12:25 PM
258 I6

Quote:
I serviced my fuel system. PM me if you need advice. I didn't replace the tank. The PO drilled a 1/2 inch hole into it, so I sealed the hole with 2 part epoxy.
I also replaced ALL fuel lines. There are many and in various sizes. Here's a link.... Removed my QuadraTrac and fuel tank

I already did the fuel system but thanks for the support! I will check out your link to see if i want to change anything.

Soon to be a 401!
Old 01-15-2019, 12:29 PM
258 I6

Quote:
I replaced my vacuum actuator. It requires the removal of the QuadraTrac transfer case. Keep in mind if yours is the QuadraTrac, which I'm certain it is, you are full time 4wd. The actuator, when pulled, places the QuadraTrac into Emergency Drive.
I was surprised to learn that max speed in E-Drive is only 20 mph. Thats in accordance with the Tech Service Manual.

Pics here......QuadraTrac BW1339 pictures. PM me if you have questions.

I need to investigate my system further, the vacuum lines are all disconnected currently. I have external locking hubs, does this nullify the all time 4WD?

Soon to be a 401!
Old 01-15-2019, 12:41 PM
350 Buick

Red face

Quote:
I need to investigate my system further, the vacuum lines are all disconnected currently. I have external locking hubs, does this nullify the all time 4WD?

Yes / No

Unlocking the hubs disengages the wheel hub assembly from the splined axles. This allows the front tires spin freely. Voila...2WD

BUT!

Even with the locking hubs unlocked, your transfer case is still doing its thing. It is still turning the front driveline, front differential, and both front axles.

I don't understand why Jeep drivers install locking hubs on this type of Borg Warner Quadratrak 4wd system.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:45 PM
360 AMC

When you buy the QT Part time kit, it comes with locking hubs. So someone may have installed a PT kit in the past. Easy way to check: Unlock the front hubs, put the truck in park/lock the e-brake, lay under your truck and spin the front drive shaft. If you can turn it by hand, you either have a completely toasted QT or a part time kit (my money would be on the PT kit).