International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 02-18-2012, 05:49 PM

Newbie with fuel injection problem

At least, I think it's a fuel injection issue. I bought my 88 GW last summer and it has run pretty well overall. But for the past month, something in the gas pedal sticks or catches and the fuel gets cut off. It usually happens when I'm trying to accelerate from a stop. I typically just hear a click underneath the center of the floor and then the gas starts to cut off. If I continue pressing then the engine will stall and I'll have to restart. Most of the time I'm able to hear the click and I can back off the gas pedal enough to let the fuel flow catch back up, and then everything runs smooth.

Any ideas? I'm a novice when it comes to car repairs but I'd like to try to diagnose it before I take it to a mechanic.

Thanks.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:09 PM

Since no FSJ ever came with fuel injection. It might help if you told us what EFI the previous owner installed on your wag. I don't know zip from fancy electric carburetors (aka: EFI), but others here do if they know what system you're running.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:55 PM
Dragin Az

I am having a similar issue with my TBI set up. I am going to replace the TPS and see if it clears up any. Have you checked it for codes?

46 cj2a

51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service bed
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/
Old 02-18-2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
Since no FSJ ever came with fuel injection. It might help if you told us what EFI the previous owner installed on your wag. I don't know zip from fancy electric carburetors (aka: EFI), but others here do if they know what system you're running.

My fault. There's no EFI; it's a carb. I mean "fuel injection" in a general sense of fuel getting to the engine. A truly poor display of terminology on my part. Like I said, I'm new at this.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:27 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

One thing that pops into mind (now that we know it's not EFI) is a sticky throttle cable.

IMHO the throttle cables on our rigs are poorly designed because of the extreme bend the cable has to make between the carb and firewall.

Another thing to check is the detent cable AKA 'kick down' located right next to the throttle cable. That is what causes the transmission to drop a gear when you floor it.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake
One thing that pops into mind (now that we know it's not EFI) is a sticky throttle cable.

IMHO the throttle cables on our rigs are poorly designed because of the extreme bend the cable has to make between the carb and firewall.

Another thing to check is the detent cable AKA 'kick down' located right next to the throttle cable. That is what causes the transmission to drop a gear when you floor it.

I did some research and it does sound like the throttle cable could be the issue. I'll look into it some more. Thanks for the tip!
Old 02-19-2012, 08:39 AM
Señor Jackhead

The throttle cables are very reasonable at BJs Offroad store. I have changed out two and it is amazing how much better the throttle control is now. They were both sticking and the sheath was compromised.
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s and a few Evil Twin mods, http://eviltwinfab.com and a few TT's Fabworks mods, http://www.ttsfabworks.com
76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
Old 02-19-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulsizjeep
The throttle cables are very reasonable at BJs Offroad store. I have changed out two and it is amazing how much better the throttle control is now. They were both sticking and the sheath was compromised.

Good to know. Thanks!