• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bfroe
    232 I6
    • Apr 21, 2010

EGR should hold vacuum right?

Sorry if this is a silly question...

PO put a new EGR just before I bought the truck so it is still very new.

While replacing all the vac lines, I sucked on the one connected to the EGR, and it wouldn't hold any vacuum. I could almost breath through the hose !

Is this normal? I feel like it's yet another vacuum leak...

Thanks!
    Ben
    87 Grand Wagoneer, 235k, 360/727/229 TFI bored .030
    http://s438.photobucket.com/albums/qq103/Jimmorrison91/
  • FallonJeeper
    258 I6
    • May 28, 2010

Sounds like the EGR or vacuum line is bad.

Comment

• Tripwire
      AMC 4 OH! 1
      • Jul 30, 2000

yes and no - IIRC

the only way to test it is while on the engine and hooded up to a engine vac source as a mityvac cant pull enough suction and the valve requires some exhaust back pressure to function

be sure its clean and the passeges are clear, bolt it back in with the gasket and run a temp line directly to a ported vac source, rev the engine and you should be able to feel the diaphram move with engine rpms

i learned this the hard way and spent 65 for a replacement egr i did not need

at idle manualy depress the diaphram with your fingers and the engine should start to die
      Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• bfroe
        232 I6
        • Apr 21, 2010

Originally posted by Tripwire
        yes and no - IIRC

the only way to test it is while on the engine and hooded up to a engine vac source as a mityvac cant pull enough suction and the valve requires some exhaust back pressure to function

be sure its clean and the passeges are clear, bolt it back in with the gasket and run a temp line directly to a ported vac source, rev the engine and you should be able to feel the diaphram move with engine rpms

i learned this the hard way and spent 65 for a replacement egr i did not need

at idle manualy depress the diaphram with your fingers and the engine should start to die
        Will do. soon as i put all the new vac lines in, thanks!
        87 Grand Wagoneer, 235k, 360/727/229 TFI bored .030
        http://s438.photobucket.com/albums/qq103/Jimmorrison91/

Comment

It is not that a hand held vacuum pump can't make enough vacuum to open the egr valve, it is that there has to be exhaust pressure to make the internal valving operate correctly. So in order to test the valve, you have to have it on a running engine.

There are two types of valves, positive and negative. Positive valves operate this way. Negative valves can be tested with a vacuum pump and don't need to be on a running engine.
          David "If all else fails, read the instructions."
          83 Wag Lt,BJ's 6"lift,360/727/Pinned229,D44/trac-lok,AMC20/lock-right,35/12.50 Baja MTZ,Pro-Jection EFI.
          10$ NP229 fix http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=2520

Comment

• Tripwire
            AMC 4 OH! 1
            • Jul 30, 2000

thank god i was half right theres hope for me yet ! i thought it had something to do with back pressure but was not sure

thanks for a little more enlightenment
            Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• smogdredd
              258 I6
              • Jul 19, 2010

Aftermarket egr warning

Almost all aftermarket EGR valves flow too much causing a misfire at 2500 RPM under no load. This can be a problem in some states because of the way the high speed portion of the smog test is done. Always use the smallest restrictor in the package. Try to cross the OEM part number to a new Delco unit if posssible. If Youre vehicle fails due to a high HC reading at 2500 rpm this is often the cause. Unfortunatly the part suppliers are completly un-regulated and don't have to answer to anyone. Even in California.
              '63 wagoneer '87 360 running gear except T case (207), warn hubs, 3.56 diffs and EFI Holley pro-jection using ford cfi throttle body Stock dist. with four wire HEI module.

'67 Scout 152cid w/EFI and turbo also My own a little help from Chrysler. I am a fabricator, I make stuff up!

facebookGGAutoCare

Comment

• smogdredd
                258 I6
                • Jul 19, 2010

Loaded mode?

Originally posted by bfroe
                Sorry if this is a silly question...

PO put a new EGR just before I bought the truck so it is still very new.

While replacing all the vac lines, I sucked on the one connected to the EGR, and it wouldn't hold any vacuum. I could almost breath through the hose !

Is this normal? I feel like it's yet another vacuum leak...

Thanks!
                Ben
                I've never done a loaded mode test on a vehicle wiyh an aftermarket EGR, The problem I metioned may not be an issue under load but if You live in a basic area it's often a problem.
                '63 wagoneer '87 360 running gear except T case (207), warn hubs, 3.56 diffs and EFI Holley pro-jection using ford cfi throttle body Stock dist. with four wire HEI module.

'67 Scout 152cid w/EFI and turbo also My own a little help from Chrysler. I am a fabricator, I make stuff up!

facebookGGAutoCare

Comment

Working...
                X