International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 09-21-2019, 03:51 PM
350 Buick

Even though it's still in the mid 90's, I just got the J10 out of summer storage as the State inspection expires in a week. I now have the all the lights, wipers, mirrors, and plates reinstalled and functioning. I still have to paint the rear fenders and a few miscellaneous items. Hope they will inspect it without the fenders installed. If not, I'll slap them on temporarily and take it back.

So, tasks remaining include paint the rear fenders and rear roll pan, paint rear window trim, install the interior including headliner and dash miscellaneous, reinstall the factory air conditioner, clean it all up, and sell it. I just don't have space to keep it along with the spares since I just bought a supercharged Jaguar sedan as a replacement tow vehicle. It's rated at 4500 pounds towing capacity....plenty for pulling an aluminum trailer with the XKE aboard. Hate to let the truck go as I've owned it for some 30 years, but time to move on.

Anyway, back to work. Current photo of the truck(still dirty) and the replacement tow vehicle....yeah, I know...what am I going to use to tow the new tow vehicle...

DSCN1781 by Rufus, on Flickr
xjr quartz by Rufus, on Flickr
J10 - Body channel (3 inch drop @ front); dechromed; shaved side parking lights, antenna, and hood trim bar. Ford mirrors, roll pans, side exhaust, 16 inch wheels, custom dash, new interior, Edelbrocked 360, HEI, T18/208 (J20), rear disk brakes, goose neck and bumper hitches.

Last edited by Towtruck : 09-21-2019 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-21-2019, 05:34 PM
350 Buick

I'd keep the truck and sell the XKE.

E's are the only Jags I've never really liked though the roadsters aren't too bad. The 2+2's should have been called the W type for WHAT were they thinking?

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:20 PM
350 Buick

There is a more than even chance that I'll sell the truck and the E-type. I never use the truck and can't get in the E without a lot of contortions that the old bod isn't up to anymore...so I don't use it either.
J10 - Body channel (3 inch drop @ front); dechromed; shaved side parking lights, antenna, and hood trim bar. Ford mirrors, roll pans, side exhaust, 16 inch wheels, custom dash, new interior, Edelbrocked 360, HEI, T18/208 (J20), rear disk brakes, goose neck and bumper hitches.

Last edited by Towtruck : 09-21-2019 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 05:59 PM
350 Buick

Last Winter and Spring it was the cold weather that held me up a bit, now it's the unbearable heat wave (for September)...still mid 90s and very humid. Looks like it might break later this week. The other hold up has been the Jaguar sedan that I purchased. Both fuel pumps failed just sitting in the garage. One day it ran, the next day it was dead dead. The supporting electronics for the supercharged engine are mind boggling. Should make a great tow car, though....375 HP and enormous torque. Anyway, that's now repaired (had to remove the fuel tank). Now that it's running I can access all my paint tools and supplies at the front of the garage.

Here's a photo of the rear fenders and the rear roll pan, which are the last of the larger items. I had sanded them in the Spring and did a little fiberglass repair on the roll pan. The plan is to have them in paint by the end of next week.

DSCN1799 by Rufus, on Flickr

DSCN1797 by Rufus, on Flickr
Old 10-08-2019, 05:25 PM
350 Buick

Finally cooled off in North Texas and I spent the past two days prepping the fenders and the rear roll pan for paint. Since all three parts are fiberglass, they were in pretty good shape from the last paint job a decade ago. Mostly small scrapes and a couple of stress cracks that were large enough to need grinding and new glass buildup. I had reinforced the lip areas from the back side during the last go around, so they've held up pretty well in the interim.

There are some very small "spider web" cracks in a few places and I debated grinding them out and filling, but my experience with this sort of gel coat cracking (and I have a ton of experience on the boat) is that they eventually come back though the paint. Some guys with boats have been experimenting with highly thinned spray-on bed liner and say it works pretty well as a base coat. It's flexible, and gets down into the hairline cracks. I have some left over Raptor and intend to give it a try. I called the Raptor people this morning and they said it should work, and is definitely compatible with the Eastwood high build polyurethane primer that will go on as the second coat (before the urethane satin black). So that's the plan for tomorrow...fenders only. Hoping for color on Thursday.

DSCN1815 by Rufus, on Flickr
DSCN1817 by Rufus, on Flickr
DSCN1814 by Rufus, on Flickr

Last edited by Towtruck : 10-08-2019 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:23 PM
350 Buick

One quart of Raptor bed liner (thinned about 40%) covered both rear fenders nicely. By the time I finished spraying the second fender the first was ready for Eastwood high build polyester primer. Tomorrow I'll block sand them. The highly thinned Raptor went on nicely with just a very slight orange peel, which was easy to cover with the hi-build. In fact if the sheen was just slightly more pronounced, it would have matched the satin top coat. Anyway, I think the idea of using the Raptor as a membrane to seal in stress cracks in the fiber glass gel coat just might work. Time will tell.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:48 AM
350 Buick

Idunno. I used Raptor on some areas of mine. Seems like paint with a filler like chalk. Doesn't seem especially flexible to me.

Unlike Durabak, the single part urethane I used on the floor which is still pretty soft. The stuff from the roller tray that's about 1/4" thick is still bendy.

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Last edited by SJTD : 10-10-2019 at 09:01 AM.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:55 AM
350 Buick

all of your work looks great,

I really like that truck,...

nice stance,

and it is a step side FSJ !!!!

what is not to love ?

dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 10-10-2019, 10:19 AM
360 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLSAKS
all of your work looks great,
I really like that truck,...
nice stance,
and it is a step side FSJ !!!!
what is not to love ?
dave in NC
Truth. Well Said. Nothing to add here, just agreeing with Dave. Your stance is amazing.
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 10-10-2019, 02:24 PM
350 Buick

The fenders and rear roll pan are sanded and nearly ready for color paint. Need to spot putty a few nicks that I missed earlier. Will be nice to get to the reassembly stage. First thing is to re-shim the bed to align with the cab, which I dropped another half inch last winter. By the way, the stance would work just fine with a spring lift since all of the related modifications are limited to the body/frame interface.

SJTD, as I said, time will tell if the RAPTOR isolates/terminates the stress cracks. Not a big deal to do the fenders over, in any case. Not sure how well a rubbery substrate would work with a finish paint. A marine epoxy barrier coat, which is used to seal fiberglass boat bottoms from water intrusion (osmosis) would be my second choice. Interlux uses a "platelet" linkage technology to chemically fuse the coating into a single seamless envelope.

DSCN1821 by Rufus, on Flickr
Old 10-14-2019, 03:52 PM
350 Buick

After doing some additional sanding of the hi-build polyester yesterday, I decided that a layer of catalyzed 2k urethane primer was in order. So I sprayed that this morning. This gives full coverage over the Raptor layer with no thin spots. I guess it looks the same as the last photos, but there's another $50 worth of additional paint. I'll sand with fine grit tomorrow and color coat on Wednesday. Better photos of the two roll pans below.

DSCN1824 by Rufus, on Flickr
DSCN1823 by Rufus, on Flickr
DSCN1822 by Rufus, on Flickr

Last edited by Towtruck : 10-14-2019 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-15-2019, 06:40 AM
232 I6

That looks so Good!!! I start body work in a couple weeks, hope it turns out as well.
1989 Grand Wagoneer 360 c.i.
727 Transmission
Serehill Rear Glass and Fog Light Harness.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:18 AM
350 Buick

Thanks, and good luck with your project. The one thing I'd say about body work is that polyester hi-build primer and a sanding long board simplify the final stages where you're trying to achieve perfectly straight panels and fair in repair areas. I wasted a huge amount of time (and money) messing around with 2K urethane primer and spot putty in the early stages when it could have been avoided. Eastwood sells a very nice polyester hi-build (equivalent to "Slick Sand") at a good price. Most of it gets turned to dust during the smoothing stage, but time is money. As I've mentioned a couple of times, I'd over coat the polyester with a catalyzed 2K primer, and then do the final pre-color sanding. This is probably common knowledge to experienced body guys...but that ain't me.
Old 10-15-2019, 03:16 PM
232 I6

You guys that have the patience for doing this kind of body work have my respect. A little knowledge and a lot of patience seems to go along way with painting projects. Luckily for me, I didn't need that much paint work.

The trucks looking good. I see you have the exhaust out the side. I also wanted to do that with fender well long tube headers and side exhaust but at the time I didn't have the time to get that done.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:13 PM
350 Buick

The right side rear fender and skirting is loosely fitted. But now I have to go back to painting (dammit). I forgot to prep and paint the fiberglass shroud for around the gas filler neck and hoses on the driver side. While I'm at it I think I'll mask and paint the aluminum frame around the rear window. That should wrap up the paint aspect of this PITA project. The paint on the fenders turned out OK. They look nice and clean compared to the rest of the body which is still covered and smeared with light grey sanding dust and pollen...wheels are gross, exhaust pipes need a redo...anyway, a little progress toward reassembly.

DSCN1826 by Rufus, on Flickr
DSCN1827 by Rufus, on Flickr
DSCN1828 by Rufus, on Flickr
Old 10-17-2019, 10:58 PM
350 Buick

Looking good.

Old 10-18-2019, 12:01 PM
350 Buick

I agree
looks good

...a mean looking black truck.

dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 10-21-2019, 02:53 PM
350 Buick

Rear fenders and roll pan installed and rear window frame blacked out. A bit of aligning and a few bolts left to install. Then I just might wash it before moving on to reassembling the interior, which is mostly just bolting things back in place. The AC will be reinstalled after sitting on the shelf for a decade. Wheels probably haven't been shined up in a decade either. Exhaust paint should finish it. End of November for target completion date.

DSCN1840 by Rufus, on Flickr
Old 10-21-2019, 05:55 PM
232 I6

The roll pan finished off the back end nicely. Looks good.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:08 PM
350 Buick

Thanks. I'd really like to clean up (eliminate) that busy embossing on the tail gate and make the whole back end flat...common on street rodded trucks. But not sure if that center panel will come out of the frame without wrecking it .. looks like about 75 little screws/nuts around the perimeter. Maybe just attach a flat plate over the existing panel....