• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MikeinColorado
    232 I6
    • Sep 19, 2010

death wobble

I watched an absurdly lifted OT vehicle hit a bump in the road and go into a nasty death wobble. I thought he was gonna flip right in front of me.
    I pulled up next to the guy and he looked like he needed clean shorts...
    So...this got me thinkin....
    I want 33s under my wagon....what is the best way to accomplish this and allow me to have a solid driver that will hit the trails in Colorado?
    Swap shackles? Experts...I am a noob ready to listen and learn.
    I'd rather have a bottle infronta me, than a frontal lobotomy. -- D. Parker

1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    1953 Buick Special
    2010 Subaru Legacy
  • turtlejoe
    304 AMC
    • Jun 01, 2002

I've seen a number of Wag's with 33's and even 35's both on San Juan trails and on the street. Can't think of anyone complaining about death wobble. Quality lift kit, all suspension bits and bushings in good condition, proper alignment, shouldn't be a problem. I've got 33's on my W/T Cherokee and have never once had a problem. I only needed 4" of lift because of the larger wheel openings and wider axles, but still - never had a problem.
    Kerry - Raised by Jeep
    "Got Altitude?"
    "Trigger"
    '78 Cherokee Chief WT 33X12.50 BFG A/T's, 15X8 Rockcrawlers, 4" BDS lift, TFI, NOS QT, TH400
    "Sherman"
    1993 4.0L Grand Cherokee, 44HD rear, 4:10's
    "Roxie"
    2004 Rubicon
    "Moose"
    2000 Ford Expedition XLT with 4.6L

Comment

• MikeinColorado
      232 I6
      • Sep 19, 2010

I suppose I should clarify. I know 33s can be done well....the "thing" I saw on the road looked like it was dones 1/2 Great Googley MoogleyGreat Googley MoogleyGreat Googley Moogley. And the result was a very unsafe vehicle.... I've only lowered things.. so... best way to get a 4 inch lift on a wagon? What do the experts say.. What is the safest, best method that will give driveability and still handle the mountains...
      I mean I don't want a hardcore crawler... I'm lookin for balance here. Like if I want to do some high altitude camping with the family... I am already planning CB radio, with weather band.... maybe gps, good roof rack system.

Originally posted by turtlejoe
      I've seen a number of Wag's with 33's and even 35's both on San Juan trails and on the street. Can't think of anyone complaining about death wobble. Quality lift kit, all suspension bits and bushings in good condition, proper alignment, shouldn't be a problem. I've got 33's on my W/T Cherokee and have never once had a problem. I only needed 4" of lift because of the larger wheel openings and wider axles, but still - never had a problem.

1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
      1953 Buick Special
      2010 Subaru Legacy

Comment

• turtlejoe
        304 AMC
        • Jun 01, 2002

If we assume a 6" lift to fit 33's on your '88, I would grab a quality 6" all-spring lift kit that will come with 4 new springs, proper shocks, drop pitman arm, and necessary hardware. You'll have to put in new front brake hoses (i.e. longer), and may have to do something about the parking brake cables (again, longer). Don't know if you'll need driveshaft changes or not, but my 4" lift was able to keep the original shafts. Not sure if you have a track bar on the rear axle, but I know some just remove it all together when the lift goes in with no ill-effects that I am aware of. Or, the attach bracket can be relocated so it can still be used.

There are a number of quality kits out there and probably all of them are represented here on this board. Try poking around and/or look in the Tech section, there have been lots of threads on what to use, what is needed, what works.

My recommendation though based on your intended use, is a 4" lift and 31's. Good balance for road and off-road without too many gotcha's. These are just my opinions though, I'm sure others will add their experiences as well. Good luck!
        Kerry - Raised by Jeep
        "Got Altitude?"
        "Trigger"
        '78 Cherokee Chief WT 33X12.50 BFG A/T's, 15X8 Rockcrawlers, 4" BDS lift, TFI, NOS QT, TH400
        "Sherman"
        1993 4.0L Grand Cherokee, 44HD rear, 4:10's
        "Roxie"
        2004 Rubicon
        "Moose"
        2000 Ford Expedition XLT with 4.6L

Comment

• J20 project
          304 AMC
          • Dec 27, 2000

Opinions are like .....well you know.

Anyway, first,, quality lift kit w/ shocks and everything including drop pitman arm.

Second, as stated opinions....Be very careful purchasing your aftermarket set of wheels. DO NOT buy something w/ a lot of offset(to the outside). Keep them as close to the springs as possible. You will not have death wobble.\
          J20
          BP Drivetrain...........

Driveshafts for all Jeeps, Constant velocity rebuilds, Replacement, Repair
          775-537-7918

https://www.facebook.com/BPShafts/

Putting this back up. "Someone is gonna have to crawl under the rig"

Comment

• jeeper54
            350 Buick
            • May 25, 2009

A good steering stabilizer seemed to help out when I had death wobble issues on a previous jeep. Only had 3 inch lift, stock rims and 31s'. Neither I nor 2 different shops could find anything wrong. Changed to a HD stabilizer and the problem went away. BTW-the bushings in the original stabilizer were worn out and not noticed previously.
            Currently without
            Formerly
            1986 G.W. 360
            1986 Eagle Wag
            1985 G.W. 360
            1984 Eagle Wag
            1981 Wag 360
            1978 Wag 401
            1981 Cherk W/T 258
            1966 Wag Super 327
            Not counying XJs'.
            [Did have a 94 & more recently a '97 GC with 5.2. for awhile. Just not the same! Now have the FSJ blues!

Comment

• MikeinColorado
              232 I6
              • Sep 19, 2010

see the vehicle I witnessed...the wheels were WAY out there... like the axles looked too wide for the vehicle

Originally posted by J20 project
              Opinions are like .....well you know.

Anyway, first,, quality lift kit w/ shocks and everything including drop pitman arm.

Second, as stated opinions....Be very careful purchasing your aftermarket set of wheels. DO NOT buy something w/ a lot of offset(to the outside). Keep them as close to the springs as possible. You will not have death wobble.\
              J20

1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
              1953 Buick Special
              2010 Subaru Legacy

Comment

• Blake
                304 AMC
                • Dec 22, 2005

Big tires don't necessarily mean death wobble. They also don't prevent the truck from being a DD.

I had SEVERE DW when I first when SOA on the stock axles and used 42" IROKS. All bushings, tie rod ends, etc where brand new. Everything was tight, but still had DW. Mine was initiated when hitting a bump just right, like a rail road crossing or pothole. I found a local shop that actually knows how to balance tires and POOF! DW went away.
                Please come on over to http://fsjnetwork.com/forum and have a look.

Comment

• MikeinColorado
                  232 I6
                  • Sep 19, 2010

I was told when you plan your lift, that you choose tire size and build off of that. I just like to research everything really well before I get into it.
                  Do it right the first time.

1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                  1953 Buick Special
                  2010 Subaru Legacy

Comment

• Rocket Dog
                    232 I6
                    • Nov 19, 2008

I have 33 on a waggy with 4" spring and a matching dpa. i do have a little bump steer, but it's mostly due to the needed to rebuild the front end becuase of the oil leaks that have eatin' the rubber bushing.

Comment

• FallonJeeper
                      258 I6
                      • May 28, 2010

The Rusty's or BJ's 6 inch lifts are good. I have the Rusty's 6" lift on my 84 J-10 with 35" tires. No death wobble. The trick as indicated above:

1. Good quality lift with correct hardware.
                      2. Good suspension/steering components including rod ends, spring bushings, ball joints all in good condition. Don't just eyeball it. Often times I see most death wobble posts where everything "looks good" only to find out it really wasn't
                      3. Make sure all those quality lift/supension/steering components are torqued to specs. after the initial install of these parts they get torqued. Check again within 100 miles.
                      4. Steering stabilizer is a band aid. If you need one to "help" with death wobble, you have other problems. It's designed to assist when hitting bumps and holes, under normal driving conditions, to keep the steering wheel from ripping out of your hands.
                      Last edited by FallonJeeper; 10-17-2010, 12:35 PM.

Comment

• J20 project
                        304 AMC
                        • Dec 27, 2000

I had SEVERE DW when I first when SOA on the stock axles and used 42" IROKS
                        Were they stock wheels?
                        J20
                        BP Drivetrain...........

Driveshafts for all Jeeps, Constant velocity rebuilds, Replacement, Repair
                        775-537-7918

https://www.facebook.com/BPShafts/

Putting this back up. "Someone is gonna have to crawl under the rig"

Comment

• Stupified
                          258 I6
                          • Oct 21, 2005

If you go with a 6" lift, make sure you extend the sway bar set up. Makes a difference in the DW.
                          73 Wagoneer 360 400/20 D40/D30 3.31
                          285/70R17 DuraGrapplers
                          post flipped rear, rough country 6110 chevy front AAL
                          Camo green Zombie Response Vehicle

Comment

• Tigger4X
                            AMC 4 OH! 1
                            • Nov 16, 2001

6" lift and all that crazy stuff for 33's

Get a shackle flip kit from TTs Fabworks (Tad on here) and do an SOA. You will need shocks, extended brake lines, and a DPA is a good idea. Check your bushings and such to see if they need replacing, I did it just because I didnt want to have to tear into again later. If you want more lift than that you can get a 2" spring kit from BJs.
                            Originally posted by will e
                            Keep in mind. Getting old is easy. Being old is hard.
                            Post #14 ~ http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...=1#post1580206

Comment

Working...
                            X