• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beach_Dude
    327 Rambler
    • Mar 03, 2011

Timing looks like 180* off

So, I redid my wiring harness including the ignition module (MSD 6AL) and Dizzy.

I couldn't get it to run after connecting everything back up, which left me with diagnosing my ignition. Also, ordered a reman dizzy from oriellys as well; might as well.

Took a stick, marked a reference point from the rotor, replaced dizzy with the new unit, set the rotor for the same mark, tightened enough to turn over, and it was not a happy motor.

Continued diagnosing the ignition system, MSD has a gnar spark, everything seems fine, EXCEPT the dizzy.

One of the times I got it to turn and stay at least stable enough to not stall, so I played with the timing, which the only difference was not making it stall out, but no benefit. Click Here for video.

And then All of a sudden, RPMs bumped up and it idled out ALMOST smooth!!! OK, maybe the plugs were fouled, flooded, who knows, but it's running! Ok ok ok... Let's check the timing.

The timing light shows the timing mark on the balancer all the way at the bottom of the engine!!!! Like, in front of the oil pan! So, I play with the timing to retard it seeing if it will even get close to the timing marks. It retards and whimpers out. Click Here to see timing gun on balancer. Tough to make out, but you might get it.

The idle is rough, not to my liking at all, but it's running and not stalling. The engine was running like a dream before the re-wiring.

How can the timing get so thrown out of whack?

Ideas?
    1977 Jeep Cherokee Chief
    360 w/ MC 4350
    All stock but ignition and slightly modified suspection
    Original paint, garaged/non-op for over 15 years
  • Beach_Dude
    327 Rambler
    • Mar 03, 2011

Just to update... Played around a little with the dizzy connector and it seems to be a bad unit... Click Here to see video
    1977 Jeep Cherokee Chief
    360 w/ MC 4350

Comment

• babywag
      out of order
      • Jun 08, 2005

lose all cheapnese junk...put some weatherpack connectors on it.

most of that aftermarket stuff is just awful...
      poor crimps, uber-low quality wire, etc.

Hi Guys, I have been searching on the web and here on the site and I cannot find the name or part# of the electrical connector in the picture. I checked the service manual and couldn't find anything....It lays across the manifold...dont know if that is where it should be? I just need this part, a CTO and an EGR and I should
      Tony
      88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Beach_Dude
        327 Rambler
        • Mar 03, 2011

Decided to splurge and go with the MSD 8519.

Posting another regarding advanced timing for the amc 360.
        1977 Jeep Cherokee Chief
        360 w/ MC 4350

Comment

• JeepJeepster
          350 Buick
          • Sep 04, 2014

I completely rewired the ignition and put in the stealth HEI on an 89. At the same time I rebuilt the carb to factory specs and had a heck of a time getting it fired up. It would surge like crazy. I let it run for a good 10minutes like this, wouldnt take throttle at all.

Doubled checked my wiring, took the top of the carb off and checked everything. Let it sit for a day and came back the next day, fired right up and ran perfect.

Never did figure out what ever going on. That will always bother me.
          2004 Jeep Liberty
          1998 Jeep ZJ 5.9
          1994 Jeep ZJ I6
          1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 360

Comment

Working...
          X