• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tenoverthenose
    we don't know what he wants.
    • Jan 12, 2017

Aftermarket Rear Bumper Options

I'm in need of a new rear bumper for my Wagoneer and I'm looking at what the available aftermarket options are. Coming from the CJ and TJ market, it seems like my options are limited to BJ's and BJ's

I'd like it to have:
    Tow Receiver Hitch
    Spare Tire Mount
    Recovery Point

I don't trust myself enough with a welder to make something that is safe and dependable, nor do I realistically have the time right now to spend on it. Are there any other aftermarket options? Has anyone repurposed a bumper from a different vehicle (in case I could find something used)?
  • Mr Carts
    258 I6
    • Aug 22, 2011

Just remember that your spare tire mount on the outside will be easy pickin's south of the border.

They will walk away with anything that is not inside your jeep.
    1980 Cherokee WT 360 TFI Contour Fan 727 208
    3.31 285/75X16 Duratrac's E rated

Comment

• tenoverthenose
      • Jan 12, 2017

Originally posted by Mr Carts
      Just remember that your spare tire mount on the outside will be easy pickin's south of the border.

They will walk away with anything that is not inside your jeep.
      True, but I think that's going to be the least of my concerns of stuff that could be stolen - a spare I can lock on fairly easily. It's the stuff on my roof rack like surfboards that will be tough to secure.

As it is, I have a spare fuel tank in place of the original spare and need the space inside the vehicle for storage.

Comment

• j10jim
        327 Rambler
        • Jan 11, 2003

Look up RSTEP, he makes front/rear bumpers as well. Bob is a great guy as well (so are the guys at BJ's).
        1980 J-10<br />Rusty\'s 4 inch lift<br />2 inch body lift,<br />35 in Xterrains on J20 axles<br />4:30 gears<br />Detroits<br />In-Cab cage thru the dash

Comment

• Mr Carts
          258 I6
          • Aug 22, 2011

I used a chain inside a bicycle tube bolted to the roof, that wrapped around the fin.

But I ride single fin boards with a glassed on fin.
          1980 Cherokee WT 360 TFI Contour Fan 727 208
          3.31 285/75X16 Duratrac's E rated

Comment

• tenoverthenose
            • Jan 12, 2017

Originally posted by j10jim
            Look up RSTEP, he makes front/rear bumpers as well. Bob is a great guy as well (so are the guys at BJ's).
            Thanks for the lead, I just sent him an email.

Originally posted by Mr Carts
            But I ride single fin boards with a glassed on fin.
            I knew I liked you

The two boards that I'm going to take are both single fins glassed in without leash plugs. One is an old 9' Hap Jacobs, the other a 10' log shaped by an old friend.

I'm looking at some fancy pants Yakima straps that have a steel cable inside them for security, but it's still not great.

Comment

Working...
            X