• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kingeno
    232 I6
    • Sep 22, 2008

Oil Pouring from head?

Started the beast up and after like 20 seconds oil started pouring out of what looks like the back of the driverside head. I mean like you were pouring out oil from a qt. I ran my hand across the intake and it was dry, i have 55 pounds of oil pressure, and when the oil starts flowing it dont go down at all. I felt two or three holes on the back of the head. One or two were bone dry, but one had oil on it and the hole is above the head gasket so it's hard to tell if it could be this hole or the head gasket. I dont see any smoke, exept from being cold and the exhaust is hot. Has anyone ever had to plug or seen a bolt in the back of one of these heads?
    (DOOMSDAY) 81 Cherokee under construction
  • Mark Wilde
    350 Buick
    • Jul 20, 2004

I would tell you to replace the valve cover gasket. Sounds like that's the culprit, not a hole in your head.

HA! Now that's funny!

Seriously, if it's the old cork gasket, they get hard and crack. I've seen them with chunks missing and pi$$ing oil like you describe. The new ones Checker/Schucks/Kragen carry are like a compressed neoprene, or rubber. Great stuff. Just don't RTV them. AMHIK.
    90 Grand Wagoneer, 401/727/229, TFI upgrade, MC4350 4V, Edelbrock Performer cam, All-Aluminum Radiator, Razor Conversion, 4" Rusty's all-spring, 31x10.50 BFG TA/KO's...much planned, little time/money, thus she's a PipeDream!

Comment

• kingeno
      232 I6
      • Sep 22, 2008

the funny thing is that i just put brand new gaskets on. I just had the motor rebuilt, all though it's been nothing but problems sence i got it back.

Comment

• Z71
        232 I6
        • Jul 19, 2008

Possibly the oil passage to lube the rocker arms. Do the AMC heads have drilled and plugged holes?

I had a John Deere cylinder head vatted a while back. Apparently the plugs in the drilled oil pressure passage dissolved in the vat. Maybe just fell out, who knows!

Put the head on, and oil just ran out the drilled hole! Had to tap and plug the hole in a hard to get to location.

I'm not sure how an AMC heads are set-up for lube. But that may be a possibility if the heads got vatted during rebuild.

Another possibility is that the accessory bolt holes in the front of the head went clean through into the rocker arm area, too long a bolt or cracked in the hole, casting flaw, etc . The head that used to be on the left is now on the right, hence those holes are in the back now.
        Last edited by Z71; 03-01-2009, 07:11 PM.

Comment

• kingeno
          232 I6
          • Sep 22, 2008

Thanks man, i put bolts in the holes and it sealed right up. At least this is on here now for if anyone else runs into this problem.

Comment

Working...
          X