• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DukeJeep
    232 I6
    • Nov 16, 2009

1988 - JGW - Fuel Gauge

My fuel gauge seems to always be on FULL, or past full a little. I ordered the "Sparta" brand sending unit and replaced it with no change.

Where do I go from here? Start tracing wires?

Thanks!
    1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    76k miles

Platinum Silver over Burgundy

In 1987, Road and Track called the Grand Wagoneer "one of the most capable off-roaders going" and "a first-rate off-roader and inclement weather vehicle AMC has honed close to perfection." It also called the interior "truly grand."

• babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

You potentially have an open in wiring or disconnected.
    Check voltage & ground @ sending unit wires.

Does gauge drop with key off?
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• joe
      • Apr 28, 2000

Trace the wire from the gauge to the sending unit. Bet you've got a chaffed worn spot and it's shorting to ground on the frame/body somewhere.
      joe
      "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• babywag
        out of order
        • Jun 08, 2005

A short would be ?E? all time.
        Tony

Comment

• joe
          • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by babywag
          A short would be ?E? all time.
          OK, the term 'short' was/is not correct. How about "grounding"? In my experience when determining if it's the gauge or sending unit, with the key on I would remove the wire at the sending unit and ground the hot wire to the frame. If the gauge pegged it told me the gauge was ok and the sender bad. I suspect with a normal good gauge and a good sender and the wire with a worn spot up stream grounding to the frame would cause the same reading. Semantics aside, "I" would still check with the key "on" the integrity of the hot wire from the gauge to the sender.
          joe
          "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• babywag
            out of order
            • Jun 08, 2005

on a late model if you ground sending unit wire it pegs ?E? not ?F?.
            if you disconnect sending unit wire it pegs ?F?
            Tony

Comment

• Mass
              232 I6
              • Sep 26, 2017

Don't mean to hijack but what's the voltage supposed to be at the sending unit? I understand the unit is passive and works by varying resistance to ground. So what's the input voltage suppose to show?
              89' GW 6BT Cummins

Comment

• gpcl16
                232 I6
                • Apr 02, 2016

If you have the wire disconnected at the sending unit you should see battery voltage with the key on. That's because there is no ground. If you have it connected to the sending unit and pierce the wire you will see less than 12 volts (unless your sending unit has an open circuit) because there is a resistor in the instrument panel gauge and another variable resistor in the sending unit. The actual input voltage will vary depending on your fuel level because you have two resistors in series, the second of which (sending unit) is variable.
                1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                4" BDS Suspension Lift
                Tru-Trac Rear
                Howell GM TBI with Custom Tune

Comment

Working...
                X