1964 j200 tow truck you're opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 j200 tow truck you're opinion

I'm a cj7, cj8 owner. A fellow member of jeepform.com recommended that I contact you. A friend of mine (has other half of my building) got a 64 j200 tow truck. He's more of a mopar/dart man who restores these cars. He did a job and got as partial payment with the j200. He figured I would want it, but I'm finishing a resto of the cj7 and starting the cj8 (always wanted). Can you give me some info on this truck and what it would be worth. He has two many projects and I know him, It would just sit. I would rather see someone either restore or use to restore another project. The frame is rusted, but I don't see major rust. The floor pans have heavy rust, body has few rust holes, doors have rust where door skins wrap around the bottom of door. I have pictures at http://s766.photobucket.com/albums/x...20j200%20jeep/ to get a idea. The truck I believe has 29,000 mi. Any info is appreciated since my experience is in cj's. Thanks.
  • Gambler68
    Rabble Rouser
    • Feb 29, 2004

You should snap that up and offer it on here. It has some nice hard to find parts that you will be getting hounded shortly for
    1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
    1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
    Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• jaber
      Dragin Az
      • Oct 17, 2003

First off, Welcome to the land of empty pockets and unfinished projects...

That looks like a great starting point. We dont see very many wreckers here, I seem to be a loner in that category. Sourcing parts has become pricey, but I'm not looking to finish mine tomorrow. It'll be a long term project. I've had mine for about 7 years and just drove it for the first time a month ago.

Heres a link to pics of mine. http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/h...faber/wrecker/

Let us know what happens with it please....
      Jeff

'43 cj2a
      '51 Willys p/u
      '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
      '68 Panel Delivery
      '74 CJ5
      '75 J-20 Wrecker
      '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
      '77 J-10 p/u
      '79 Cherokee
      '88 Grand Wagoneer
      '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• Hubjeep
        232 I6
        • Aug 23, 2006

Originally posted by jammer1
        Any info is appreciated since my experience is in cj's. Thanks.
        Welcome, same here, just learning about FSJ's.

That looks like a cool project, you could tow friends around with it.
        1989 Grand Wagoneer, Cummins 4BT swap in progress.
        CJ-7, Cummins 4BT/NV4500/AtlasII 4.3.
        http://www.jpmagazine.com/featuredve..._tj/index.html

Comment

• janie
          • Aug 11, 2001

Originally posted by Gambler68
          You should snap that up and offer it on here. It has some nice hard to find parts that you will be getting hounded shortly for

Ditto to what Gambler just said. The rust is a major turn-off, but there are still some nice parts. All contingent on how much he wants for it. Me? I'd offer a couple hundred and tow it away.
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. Faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Comment

• tgreese
            • May 29, 2003

Yeah, the rust is a problem. Plus it has the engine that everybody loves to hate; the 230 OHC. It's a better engine than it's reputation, and very impressive looking. Expensive to rebuild too. The mechanicals for this truck are quite primitive too - a column shift T-90, a 2-piece Dana 44 rear axle and closed-knuckle D44 front, Ross steering, single-reservoir manual drum brakes - all throw-away components by modern standards.

It would be really cool restored with the same paint and equipment. If you like it, buy it and combine it with a western rust-free example. At the very least, you'll need a bed, rockers, floors, and fenders - likely cab corners too.
            Last edited by tgreese; 01-14-2010, 08:56 AM.
            Tim Reese
            Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
            Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
            Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
            GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
            ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

1964 j200

I talked to the owner of the truck. He said he would want to sell it. He's asking 1500. I'll also post it in the sell section. If anyones interested pm me or post. Thank all for their input.

Comment

• fsjman1978
                232 I6
                • Feb 28, 2009

Welcome from another Ohioan.
                74 Wagoneer (360, turbo 400, quadtrac)
                on 31 10.5
                Under Construction
                78 Wagoneer. (401, turbo 400, D20) Plans include 44 and 14 bolt (410 gears)
                SOA and 36in TSLs

Comment

Working...
                X