• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigRedChief
    350 Buick
    • Feb 27, 2005

GM engine swap fuel economy?

I know there are at least a couple of people that have swapped in newer GM engines. What kind of MPG are you getting?

I've been super-impressed with my '01 Silverado's fuel economy. It's a 4.8L V8, 2WD but lifted a little and on 265/70-17 tires. I've seen 21-22 mpg max economy so far. If I could get 15-17mpg with the same engine and a 4WD drivetrain (4L60 + newer x-fer) in the Jeep it might be worth it since I need to rebuilt my transmission anyway ($1200 according to at least one shop).
    1979 Cherokee Chief - SOLD.
    AMC 360 -TBI, TFI, TH400, QT, D44's
    BJ's 4" & ProComp ES3000's
    15x10 black steel wagon wheels & 33x12.5 Kumho Venture MTs
  • JeepinPete
    304 AMC
    • Dec 09, 2003

I'm pulling 16MPG highway or city. 5.3L/NV3500/NP241/35" BFG ATs/3.54 gears. 4.56 gears are going in soon (setting them up in the front axle this week), I'll report back as to what effect they have.
    Pete

'55 Willys Wagon, the original FSJ
    Sitting on a '77 Cherokee frame, Dodge D60's
    Isuzu 6BD1, NV4500, NP241

Comment

• JPSwapMohn
      304 AMC
      • May 01, 2004

Don't know if the LT1 is still considered a newer engine anymore, but I get 16-17 on average running LT1/4l60E/NP229/3.31 gears/32" tires. I will likely go to 4.10 gears eventually. It does well as-is, but think the lower gears would help.
      One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.

88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, F150 fuel cell, discs, J20 axles, Truetrac & Grizzly, 3.73
      http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
      95YJ, STaK 300, D44's, SOA, ARB's, 4.56s, Bilsteins, 35" KM2's
      50 CJ3A
      77 J-10, 360/T-18/D20, SOLD

Comment

• waynestiles
        350 Buick
        • Mar 26, 2006

Dumb question, but here goes, How would going from 3 something to 4:11 gears improve fuel economy? I always thought that going the other way improved economy at the cost of acceleration, and going from a lower gear ratio to a higher number improved acceleration at the expense of fuel burn.

I've read here that somewhere in there tire size and mass weight is a factor, to the extent that gear ratio can restrict tire sizes, but I'm not sure why or where the break points are.
        "Sacred cows make better burger"

Comment

• JPSwapMohn
          304 AMC
          • May 01, 2004

I do not know if it will absolutely help fuel economy, and it is not a dumb question. Basically, with the larger tires and the OD, I run in the 1550-1600 rpm range at 70mph on the freeway. Ideally I should be running at about 2000 rpm to maximize efficiency (as it was explained to me). The concept is that the engine is "lugging" instead of running along smoothly. I will say that I have not noticed this at all, but on a micro-scale I can understand it and understand that the computer works to compensate but there is room for efficiency gain in the middle. At this low rpm, the transmission is more likely to jump into and out of OD more frequently. 3rd gear is 1:1 and 4th is 0.70:1 (if I recall correctly).
          I am not sure that I will get better fuel economy, but I do understand operating the engine in it's most efficient power band.

And hey, if it justifies getting better gears, then who am I to argue.. 8^)
          One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.

88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, F150 fuel cell, discs, J20 axles, Truetrac & Grizzly, 3.73
          http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
          95YJ, STaK 300, D44's, SOA, ARB's, 4.56s, Bilsteins, 35" KM2's
          50 CJ3A
          77 J-10, 360/T-18/D20, SOLD

Comment

• BigRedChief
            350 Buick
            • Feb 27, 2005

It's all about balance... You don't want gears so low that your cruise RPM is excessively high but you can get up to speed lightning quick (unless you're drag or mud racing, I guess). And you don't want gears so high that your cruise RPM is too low and the engine struggles to get the vehicle up to speed.

Going from the stock size tires on my Silverado (245-somethings) to the larger ones was a big step in the right direction for fuel economy. Since the truck has 3.73's (tow package) the gearing was so low that I was getting 17 city/19 hwy (gearing too low) and now I get 19 city/21 highway.

Comment

• FSJeeper
              King of Unfinished Projects
              • May 20, 2000

The most significant gains you can get in fuel economy is to swap to a diesel.
              In Process: 91 Wagoneer, D61/71 axles with 3.07 gearing, NV4500, NP205. Cummins 6BT.

Back burner project: Crew cab M715, Cummins/Allison/Rockwell Tcase/Dana 61/Dana 71.

Comment

• Lindel
                Perfesser of Jeepology
                • Jun 15, 2000

What FSJeeper said. The newer generation engines will get you an improvement in mileage, but it won't compare to the increase that you'll get by going to an oil burner.

As diesel swaps get more common, we might even see support coming from AA and Novak for adapters and the like.
                Jeep Grounds
                RRV Homepage
                Texas Full Size Jeep Association
                1987 Grand Wagoneer
                AMC 360/TF727/NP229
                1999 Wrangler Sport
                4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...

Comment

• crispyboy
                  304 AMC
                  • May 14, 2002

It seems to me that changing the engine is only half the equation for getting better mpg. If I were doing a swap I would want transmission also.
                  Steve<br />1986 J-20 360 cid/auto, trac-loc, custom efis tbi, flowkooler, aluminum cross flow radiator, rhino-liner, working AC. <br />1990 GW trac-loc, Engle cam and aluminum cross flow radiator.
                  <br /><br />\"The best Jeeps came from the past when gay meant you were happy and Aids was an appetite suppressant"

Comment

• smearig
                    232 I6
                    • Dec 20, 2007

It seems like the overdrive transmissions have more to do with the fuel efficiency than the engines do. I would think a 4.8 GM with an NV4500 would be about as good as it gets for gas V8 fuel economy in an FSJ.
                    1983 WT Cherokee
                    2003 Ram 2500
                    2003 Bandit 1200s

Comment

• PlumCrazy
                      360 AMC
                      • Oct 07, 2003

Originally posted by waynestiles
                      Dumb question, but here goes, How would going from 3 something to 4:11 gears improve fuel economy? I always thought that going the other way improved economy at the cost of acceleration, and going from a lower gear ratio to a higher number improved acceleration at the expense of fuel burn.

I've read here that somewhere in there tire size and mass weight is a factor, to the extent that gear ratio can restrict tire sizes, but I'm not sure why or where the break points are.
                      It brings the RPM's up, so fuel economy will drop a little, but it will move more fluid in the tranny and extend the life of it. Most of those engines like above 1800 RPM at cruising speed.

One of the reasons I am setting up 3.55+ in the rear of my convertible with the overdrive tranny.

Wayne S
                      My license plate says "Crazy" not stupid

1971 J4000 Buick 350/TH400 "Terra"
                      *STATUS Down as a summer project*

Comment

• BigRedChief
                        350 Buick
                        • Feb 27, 2005

So what's available for passenger drop t-cases that will mate to a 4L60E? And which one would be preferable? I started looking at what's out there and it seems like most of the Chevy stuff is driver-drop. It can't just be easy, can it...

I had another crazy idea... Two electric motors; one driving the front driveshaft, one driving the rear. A bank of batteries in the back. About a 2 liter engine under the hood with a generator setup just powerful enough to keep the electric motors running the Jeep down the road at 65-75mph and to charge the batteries at lower speeds. Even better would be a small diesel or gas turbine powering the generator. A guy can dream...

Comment

• JeepinPete
                          304 AMC
                          • Dec 09, 2003

Its easy, you just need to find a NP241 from a '88-'91 Chevy FS Blazer or Suburban.
                          Pete

'55 Willys Wagon, the original FSJ
                          Sitting on a '77 Cherokee frame, Dodge D60's
                          Isuzu 6BD1, NV4500, NP241

Comment

• DieselSJ
                            304 AMC
                            • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Lindel
                            What FSJeeper said. The newer generation engines will get you an improvement in mileage, but it won't compare to the increase that you'll get by going to an oil burner.

As diesel swaps get more common, we might even see support coming from AA and Novak for adapters and the like.
                            From an adapter standpoint, the 6.2/6.5 is the same as a SBC and engine mounts from both sources have been successfully used in swaps. I would like to see them produce a 4BT mount though.
                            -87 Grand, 6.5L diesel, MHI TE06H turbo, Water/air intercooler, Art Carr 700R4, CS-130, hydroboost. 21/24mpg, dead 229 [Custom 242 on the way]
                            -99 XJ Limited.
                            -Jeepspeed 1717 -Built 4.0, FAST EFI, Rubicon Express, Bilstein, Rigid Industries, 4 Wheel Parts, G2 Axle, Currie Enterprises
                            -Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

Working...
                            X