• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ksq2
    232 I6
    • Feb 11, 2010

Flat top knuckles

We're building a 78 narrow track, cherokee. It has the stock D44 in the front. What vehicles should I be looking for in the salvage yard to find the correct driver and passenger side flat top knuckles to be drilled and tapped? The archives have been extremely helpful, I just couldn't find a list of vehicles to be looking for, perhaps I didn't look close enough? Thanks!
    Brawny -- '78 Jeep Cherokee (the build is finished, kind of) Spring over/shackle flip w/ stock springs, Complete High Steer, Stock 360, Turbo 400, Quadratrac, Dana 44s front and back, 4.10 gears, Eaton E-lockers, 33-12.50 Kumho Road Venture MTs, and an Outreach Outdoors sticker on the back!
  • orangebike
    327 Rambler
    • Jan 16, 2009

earlier cherokees like 74 75 has them....also mid 70s chevys
    81 chief-straight six auto soa and 3 inch body lift 3/4 ton running gear...37 boggers...ready for 39s....Wheeler
    74 401 t18 lifted 6" on 33s for now..soon to be firewood/tow rig
    73 j4000 -360-th400 d20 on 33s....now the farm rig
    Couple parts jeeps
    66 chevelle ss-396
    66 chevelle clone 396

Stuff for free.....is worth saving up for

Comment

• ClovisMan
      327 Rambler
      • Jan 05, 2009

Weird, my 78 had flattop knuckles. I swapped them to my 88.
      1988 Grand Wagoneer currently in pieces across the shop.

Comment

• Pavementsux91XJ
        232 I6
        • Nov 19, 2009

70's and 80's anything with a front 44, so half ton and 3/4 ton chevy ford and dodge. I know most Fords and Chevys will have the driver side drilled and tapped. I've never seen (doesn't mean their not out there) a stock junkyard axle with a tapped passenger side. It's not hard to drill and tap them yourself, just get a good cobalt drill bit and make sure you center punch it and drill a pilot hole first. I did it on my XJ with the knuckle on the axle with no problems
        Trail Rig: 1991 XJ on 3/4 tons and 38's
        Tow Rig: 2002 Dodge 2500 CTD 4x4

And the only one anybody here cares about:

Huntin Rig/ Mild Trail Rig: 1973(must be late because it has all 74 parts) Jeep J10, 360/t18/d20. 3" lift on 33's. Runnin Great! Awaiting body work and flatbed!

Comment

• J20 project
          304 AMC
          • Dec 27, 2000

Umm..your 78 doesn't have them??
          J20
          BP Drivetrain...........

Driveshafts for all Jeeps, Constant velocity rebuilds, Replacement, Repair
          775-537-7918

https://www.facebook.com/BPShafts/

Putting this back up. "Someone is gonna have to crawl under the rig"

Comment

• orangebike
            327 Rambler
            • Jan 16, 2009

my 77 and 78 didnt have them....seen them on a 75 before
            81 chief-straight six auto soa and 3 inch body lift 3/4 ton running gear...37 boggers...ready for 39s....Wheeler
            74 401 t18 lifted 6" on 33s for now..soon to be firewood/tow rig
            73 j4000 -360-th400 d20 on 33s....now the farm rig
            Couple parts jeeps
            66 chevelle ss-396
            66 chevelle clone 396

Stuff for free.....is worth saving up for

Comment

• J20 project
              304 AMC
              • Dec 27, 2000

I knew 80 and up changed.. I have a 78 wt front end out back of the house w/ them.
              J20
              BP Drivetrain...........

Driveshafts for all Jeeps, Constant velocity rebuilds, Replacement, Repair
              775-537-7918

https://www.facebook.com/BPShafts/

Putting this back up. "Someone is gonna have to crawl under the rig"

Comment

• EnigmaticEngineer
                232 I6
                • Jan 05, 2010

interesting

Originally posted by orangebike
                my 77 and 78 didnt have them....seen them on a 75 before
                My 1977 Parts waggy has flat tops on it...both sides, neither milled/drilled. They are getting high steer'd and going under my 69.

Nathan.
                1969 Jeep Wagoneer

Currently Sitting and Possibly for sale.

Photobucket
                http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/a...ep%20Wagoneer/

Facebook: EnigmaticEngineer
                Gmail: EnigmaticEngineer

Comment

• Dome
                  304 AMC
                  • Apr 06, 2000

Everything you want to know and more about D44 flat top knuckles.

83 Wagoneer Limited (R.I.P)
                  360, TF727, NP228
                  SOA, 35's, WT Axles, 4.10 gears, Detroit Locker

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                    Señor Jackhead
                    • Aug 21, 2002

78 is a FSJ change over year where some have flat tops and some don't. 74-77 FSJs with disk brakes will have what you are looking for. For the other brands, the web site Dome listed is probably be a good source of info.
                    Flint
                    Ran when parked.
                    http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                    88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                    76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                    http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• Green Giant
                      360 AMC
                      • Jul 31, 2001

Originally posted by fulsizjeep
                      78 is a FSJ change over year where some have flat tops and some don't. 74-77 FSJs with disk brakes will have what you are looking for. For the other brands, the web site Dome listed is probably be a good source of info.
                      What he said.
                      Both of the 77s I have owned had flat tops, but neither of 78s have had them.
                      Todd Moon
                      78 Cherokee Chief
                      78 Chief
                      66 J-3600
                      69 J-3500
                      67 CJ-5
                      67 J-100 w/BARN DOORS

48 CJ2-A
                      Proud member of Carolina Full Size Jeep Club
                      cfsjc.com
                      No part of this post, written or pictured, may be re-used by any individual or organization or publication without my express written permission.
                      (Thanks, Flint!)

Comment

• ksq2
                        232 I6
                        • Feb 11, 2010

Thanks for the information. The article Dome linked was very helpful. One thing in the article confused me, it said the American manufactured vehicles only used two different type of flat top knuckles and Jeep used only one. Would both types work? And, sorry if this is a dumb question, what does bolt pattern have to do with it?
                        My father-in-law has a '74 Scout parts vehicle, it has a d44 with disk brakes. I haven't had the opportunity to check and see if the knuckles are flat top, if they are, are there any other considerations (I know the bolt pattern is the same), or will they for sure work? It would be GREAT if they did!
                        Last edited by ksq2; 02-25-2010, 02:03 PM.
                        Brawny -- '78 Jeep Cherokee (the build is finished, kind of) Spring over/shackle flip w/ stock springs, Complete High Steer, Stock 360, Turbo 400, Quadratrac, Dana 44s front and back, 4.10 gears, Eaton E-lockers, 33-12.50 Kumho Road Venture MTs, and an Outreach Outdoors sticker on the back!

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                          Señor Jackhead
                          • Aug 21, 2002

I dunno, you might actually interrupt the space/time continium putting Cornbinder parts on a FSJ.
                          Flint
                          Ran when parked.
                          http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                          88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                          76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                          http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• Josh D
                            360 AMC
                            • Jan 17, 2002

Originally posted by ksq2
                            Thanks for the information. The article Dome linked was very helpful. One thing in the article confused me, it said the American manufactured vehicles only used two different type of flat top knuckles and Jeep used only one. Would both types work? And, sorry if this is a dumb question, what does bolt pattern have to do with it?
                            My father-in-law has a '74 Scout parts vehicle, it has a d44 with disk brakes. I haven't had the opportunity to check and see if the knuckles are flat top, if they are, are there any other considerations (I know the bolt pattern is the same), or will they for sure work? It would be GREAT if they did!
                            Scout knuckles have really long steering arms due to outside frame mounted steering box and forward facing pitman arm. I've seen new holes drilled and tapered in the arms when swapped into CJ's. Other quirks are the 8 spindle studs (all others use 6, so spindles aren't interchangeable) and they use bolt on hublocks rather than internal spline hubs like the others. They also utilize their own axle stub shaft for this configuration. I don't think the Scout spindles will work with the Jeep hubs, which means you'd be stuck with all Scout stuff from knuckle out, including the 5X5.5 bolt pattern.
                            '71 J2000 Gladiator
                            '95 YJ on Waggy axles
                            '80 911 Super Carrera

Comment

• ksq2
                              232 I6
                              • Feb 11, 2010

Appreciate the info. Josh, I realized I missed the bolt pattern after I posted that. Looks like I'll keep shopping.

Comment

Working...
                              X