• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • iriddles
    230 Tornado
    • Jan 04, 2015

clutch/trans noise

I need some help diagnosing this noise! Several weeks ago I got in my '70 J2000, 350 V8, T-15 3 speed to go to the dump. Cranked her up, idled for a minute, then depressed the clutch pedal and there's an awful growling noise. Let clutch pedal out and it went away. Some times in my short trip the noise would appear when the pedal was depressed. Soon as I start to let the pedal out it goes away. No noise while shifting or in neutral. I thought it might be the throwout bearing but it doesn't do it every time the pedal is depressed. I re-adjusted the clutch linkage and gave it a little more free play (within specs). Now there is a slight, faint rattle when idling in neutral as well as the occasional growling when pedal is depressed. Trans was rebuilt about 8 yrs. and 4,000 miles ago by a professional jeep mechanic. Trucks been put out to pasture so there's been no hard work or heavy lifting. Anybody got any ideas?
    Iverson Riddle
    '70 J2000
    '82 Wagoneer Limited
  • tgreese
    • May 29, 2003

"No noise while shifting or in neutral" - you mean no additional noise? Noise when you apply the clutch that goes away when you release it is consistent with a bad throwout bearing. The clutch should be engaged when you shift, so you'd have the noise while you shift.
    Tim Reese
    Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
    Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
    Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
    GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
    ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• SJTD
      304 AMC
      • Apr 26, 2012

If it only makes noise when you're on the clutch pedal seems it gotsta be the throwout or the pilot bearing in the crank end.

Unless maybe the disc is coming apart and pieces are sometimes rolling around between the clutch and flywheel and pressure plate.
      Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• iriddles
        230 Tornado
        • Jan 04, 2015

No noise when shifting! Aside from noise, trans performs perfectly. After adjusting free play and hearing the faint rattle, there may be something coming apart!
        Iverson Riddle
        '70 J2000
        '82 Wagoneer Limited

Comment

Working...
        X