• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marcd
    350 Buick
    • Sep 22, 2003

Turn signals - electrical question

I posted this earlier and have narrowed it down a bit more, but still can't figure it out.

I keep blowing the 15A fuse that runs the turn signals and reverse lights. It only seems to blow when I have the flasher in (I've tried different flashers) and the ignition is turned on. That leads me to believe the problem is in the flasher circuit. Brake lights are fine as are the hazards, so I'm also thinking the problem is before the taillight assembly).

Couple questions:

If the fuse is blowing, that generally means a short (as opposed to a bad ground) right? (or wires touching)

Any suggestions where to look or a methodology that doesn't involve me trying to trace the entire circuit?

Would putting a 20A in do any damage? (feel free to chastise me for this one, I know it's wrong, but I'm lazy)

Thanks.

[ April 19, 2004, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: marcd ]
    Marc D<br /><br />1990 Grand Wagoneer<br />HEI conversion
  • marcd
    350 Buick
    • Sep 22, 2003

Man, where's the love??

Anyway, I think I have it narrowed down to the steering column. I figure the short probably developed from the tilt wheel. Not sure how I'm going to get at it. Been thinking about replacing the column - I may just do that.

Comment

• TimK
      350 Buick
      • Jul 11, 2001

sent ya a 88 wiring diagram... column sounds about right. if you don't mind blowing a few more fuses for testing, try it wheel down then wheel up...

oh crud... hope you dont have dial up... apologize for the size if so...
      93 XJ Sport 4dr / 4.0/ 5 spd/ 2" lift - ready for daughter start learning to driving
      Sold - 84 Grand Wagoneer/ 360/ 727/ np208/ 3.31 (axel from 81 w/ manual hubs)
      Sold - 81 Wag (parts)/ 70 Wag/ 71 Wag (parts)

Comment

• marcd
        350 Buick
        • Sep 22, 2003

Actually, I saw the e-mail before I saw the post. I thought someone was sending me a virus!

I did play a little bit with the tilt - after I bought a 25 pack of fuses. I might try yanking the steering wheel and see if I can access the wires that way.

Thanks for the diagrams, but I just go to the following site:

Not sure if he has 1988 too, but it's pretty useful.

Comment

Working...
        X