• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ls3waggy
    232 I6
    • Dec 01, 2014

Rear door windows hard to roll up/down

Hey guys, just installed all new weatherstrip in the window channels and the rear windows are very hard to roll up and down. Any ideas what this might be? It did this before I did the weatherstrip as well. The window itself is hard to push up and down in the channel even without the regulator attached.
  • johnsonic
    258 I6
    • Mar 12, 2015

Hey there!

Assuming that by 'weatherstrip' you're referring to the window wipe (horizontal rubber to keep the rain out), and not the bits that fit in the channels on the side. If that's the case - happened to me when I replaced mine a while back. I you put rain-x on the windows and it helped reduce the friction until the rubber from the wipes settled down. Was still a little slow, but got better over time.
    1984 GW
    Comp 260H
    Harland Sharp Roller Rockers
    Wiseco -21cc Forged Pistons
    Performer Intake
    Holley SA 670
    MSD 8523
    Dakota Digital custom cluster
    Serehill headlamp harness
    NWMP aux tank

1987 GW deceased
    ...but the parts live on

Comment

Get a can of silicone spray, and hit the run channels the glass runs in, and make sure the regulator is clean and lubed. Also might have to shift the adjustment on the bottom of the channels where they bolt to the door since the new channel strips are putting more tension on the glass (tighter than to old worn ones).
      Art
      ASE Master Collision Tech
      "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.

Comment

• ls3waggy
        232 I6
        • Dec 01, 2014

I'll give the silicon a shot.

The wipes currently aren't in and it's still very hard to roll up and down, so it must be the channels.

Thanks for the help guys!

Comment

• babywag
          out of order
          • Jun 08, 2005

Silicone spray works wonders!
          Be sure to verify the window motors are getting good voltage as well.
          And be sure the channels are adjusted correctly & straight.

You can also try running a wooden dowel that's just slightly thicker than glass through channels to stretch them a little 'bit.
          When I worked in a resto shop, an old timer showed me the trick. Sometimes aftermarket stuff isn't same as original.
          Tony
          88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• RamJetFSJ
            350 Buick
            • Jul 18, 2001

Silicone spray does work, but mine were so bad that eventually I forced my window down and the metal channel came off the bottom of the window glass. I ended up replacing the metal channel (not available repop), both window channels, and cleaning and relubing the regulator. The channels were so old and cracked, that a piece of rubber had broken off and gotten jammed in there sideways. Pain in the butt repair...
            Ben
            1980 Wagoneer - Ram Jet 350, 700R4, NP208, 4" lift, 33x10.5 tires.

Comment

• SJTD
              304 AMC
              • Apr 26, 2012

Doesn't the sillycone get on the glass giving you perpetual oily streaks?
              Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• RamJetFSJ
                350 Buick
                • Jul 18, 2001

No. The silicone goes in the side channels, not on the wipes.
                Ben
                1980 Wagoneer - Ram Jet 350, 700R4, NP208, 4" lift, 33x10.5 tires.

Comment

• SJTD
                  304 AMC
                  • Apr 26, 2012

I got that. Doesn't it creep outward? Get smeared when you wipe the glass?
                  Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                    360 AMC
                    • Oct 02, 2002

See my build thread "another 70" for what is wrong with the replacement glass run channels. It would be the second to the last page I believe. I did some trimming and used car wash soap to reinstall them. It made a huge difference.
                    If yours were purchased from the same vendor and or they have the same profile, then try what I did. The rear windows now roll up and down with way less friction. Plus check the division bar lower mounts. Lower the window and make sure the division bar is snug but not tight. Or to loose.
                    Hope this helps...
                    Melford1972 says...
                    I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
                    -----------------------
                    I make wag parts
                    1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                    1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
                    1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
                    1968 M715 restomod
                    2001 Dodge 3500
                    2002 Toyota Tundra
                    2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
                    Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

Working...
                    X