International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Classifieds > "Look Here" for Parts, Vehicles and Vendors > Homegrown Vendors: (Members who produce FSJ related items)

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 07:27 PM
Gone,Never Forgotten.

Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagWagon
Is there one that can unlock the doors and do the tailgate with the same remote?

You can use a viper system if you modify the to my tailgate system it converts the wiring to with a simple 3 wire most alarms can control. I have this is in my Cherokee. If you read the thread the information's there.

80 Cherokee
360 ci 727 with
Comp cams 270 h
NP208
Edlebrock performer intake
Holley 4180
Msd total multi spark.
4" rusty's springs
Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:38 PM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by serehill
You can use a viper system if you modify the to my tailgate system it converts the wiring to with a simple 3 wire most alarms can control. I have this is in my Cherokee. If you read the thread the information's there.

How do I order a type 2?
87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs
Old 07-24-2016, 08:49 AM
Gone,Never Forgotten.

Shag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagWagon
How do I order a type 2?

PM Sent with all you need

80 Cherokee
360 ci 727 with
Comp cams 270 h
NP208
Holley 4180
Msd total multi spark.
4" rusty's springs

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:26 AM
Noob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by serehill
I have completed 10 tailgate relay control systems & I'll be putting more information out on these over the next few days & populate it similar to the headlight harness with details.
Update 305 built & sold

I'll complete documentation & have it up tomorrow.

There will be 3 styles available starting out to see where the market goes. These are a complete rewire & a little harder than the headlight harness but well worth the effort. They have been in operation over the last 3 years so they are time tested. There is some info on these in the relayed headlight section.
Type #1 will be a totally hardwired version which will operate like stock switch on the dash & tailgate switch. you can used upgraded switches or your stock switches.
$100.00
Type 2 will be a totally hardwired with a wirless remote. It will have all the options of # 1 with the wireles.
$140
Type 3 wound up being a last thought & is interesting because it's really easy to install & get going. It's a totally remote where you don't wire up either switch the remote is the only thing that opens it.
$100.00
Just added type four by request. this one will just have the controller & battery power wire only. It can be used with the exsitng wire in the harnesses for the OEM guy or the guy that knows his wiring is good. The power feed & the way to factory system operates is the problem this one enhances power & totally changes the way the switches operate off of a simple 3 wire system.

The design is modular & can be done in any combination if you didn't want the tail gate switch you can easily remove the wiring. The dash switch can be eliminated also. The remote can be done later.
The harness could be put in in one day if you stayed busy. It's like the headlight harness is built of quality products & is electrically protected & the control circuit is even fused to protect from mistakes installing the unit.
It also has the capability of utilizing the factory door safety switch on the tailgate. It is built to bypass the switch but has a circuit that can very simply be changed to operate the safety. You can also used replacement or the stock switches. They will used to operate relay instaed of the motors directly which is the original systems downfall.
GI John has the 2nd prototype & Could be contacted by PM if you wish to discuss one. He has had in operation for 11 months. John helped me through the development & install stages of the build/ design. He has the wired remote system Type #2. PM him with any questions you may have he's the only one besides me that has installed one.

Breaker circuit with auto reset instead of fuse. for main power.
Type 2 still available?
Thanks!
Old 09-05-2016, 12:23 PM
Gone,Never Forgotten.

Absoluteley

I'll PM you to get started.

80 Cherokee
360 ci 727 with
Comp cams 270 h
NP208
Holley 4180
Msd total multi spark.
4" rusty's springs

Old 09-08-2016, 09:49 AM
304 AMC

I got the Type 2 tailgate harness from Rick, and it was the 1st electrical option I ever tried to install. It was seriously easy! I wanted the remote open/close, and I had the window working in a couple of hours.

However, since I had a NOS dash switch,

I also wanted to use the stock dash switch. So when I got the new Painless harness wired in, I had power and a ground to the NOS switch, but when I powered up the system I had power to the NOS switch, the dash switch worked, but the remotes didn't work. What had I done wrong?

I called Rick and he was most kind and willing to help. We discussed the problem I was having and the first thing he said was "it's grounding out."

I had used the ground on the dash switch, so I cut the ground wire off the back of the switch. Still had the problem. So I started thinking about the door switches Rick helped me "rebuild" and thought about the ground inside the switch that had to be removed. That was my "AHA" moment.

So I grabbed a NOS dash switch, a drill and a small drill bit. I drilled heads off the two brads that held the switch to the metal housing. Holding the switch with the toggle up, I gently pulled the switch apart, because there is a small spring and a brass plate in there you don't want to fall out, and sure enough, I could see the ground plate.

With the toggle sitting on the bench, I took the back of the switch with the plugs on it, and drilled from the inside. I drilled the head off the brad holding the brass plate inside the switch. The brass plate just came right off and the ground pin pulled out from the back side. This left only the power in pin and the up and down pins on the back.

You can see the brass plate bottom left, the brad (with the head drilled off) and the plug pin bottom right, and the open switch (how it should look to function correctly) on top in the picture above.
I used 2 - 5.5 mm machine screws, with washer, lock washer and nut to put the switch back together and secure it to the bracket. Plugged it in, and I now have a dash switch and remote controlled rear window.

You can see the machine screw holding the switch and the bracket with the plug put back on it. It works well.

I now have a dash switch and remotes that work. If anyone wants this option, I strongly recommend doing it. If you have questions with Rick's harness he'll help, and since he helped me, if you need help with the switch, I'll help you with that.

Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
Old 09-08-2016, 10:53 AM
Gone,Never Forgotten.

Kewel

Great write up Robert & I appreciate it. I have been getting request but have not articulated the instructions & couldn't have as well as you.

Thank you

80 Cherokee
360 ci 727 with
Comp cams 270 h
NP208
Holley 4180
Msd total multi spark.
4" rusty's springs

Old 09-08-2016, 10:54 AM
Gone,Never Forgotten.

Still kickin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alys4x4
Type 2 still available?
Thanks!

Yes sir

80 Cherokee
360 ci 727 with
Comp cams 270 h
NP208
Holley 4180
Msd total multi spark.
4" rusty's springs

Last edited by serehill : 09-08-2016 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:21 PM

Having some tailgate troubles with my 79 chief. Figure is time for an upgrade if type 2 is available
Thanks ,
Jason
Old 02-06-2017, 05:24 PM
Noob!

Thanks

I have an 91 GW that the tailgate harness not so good,some people recommended you , thanks cant figure out how to post a pic , need new tailgate harness
Old 02-08-2017, 12:42 PM
Gone,Never Forgotten.

Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangemhigh
I have an 91 GW that the tailgate harness not so good,some people recommended you , thanks cant figure out how to post a pic , need new tailgate harness

PM Sent

80 Cherokee
360 ci 727 with
Comp cams 270 h
NP208
Holley 4180
Msd total multi spark.
4" rusty's springs

Old 02-08-2017, 09:36 PM

Rick is a FREAKING GENIUS!!! Just installed the complete tailgate harness with front and rear switches. I also opted for the remotes which I'm so happy I did! There is a certain cool factor being able to put the window up and down by remote on a 39 year old vehicle.

The install took me a little over 6 hours from start to finish. Barely even needed the install instructions I printed out. I had to add some wire lengths to my motor wires cause they were too short to reach the relay block. I still have to put the access cover back on, mount my inside switch, and I will need to cut back the feed wires to the battery cause they are about 6 feet too long but no biggie. Those will be done tomorrow cause I was tired and my back was killing me!

A bunch of time was spent simply getting my old wires out of the way and through the tailgate holes... there were all stuck together in some form fitting plastic thing...what a PITA!!!

Should have done the upgrade years ago... I can't wait to get the headlight harness upgrade...

I'M SO FREAKING HAPPY!!!

Thank you Rick!!!! FREAKING GENIUS!!!!

1978 Cherokee Chief "Ivy"
Old 02-10-2017, 11:37 AM

Pics of my install...

Figured I would show some pics of my install.. took about 6 hours. while buttoning everything up yesterday I had a mild freak out when the window stopped working... called Rick and he got me through it (motor wire had come loose from board).. so.. install pics...

Everything pulled out for access

Mounting the board during testing... there is not a lot of room once board is mounted in the final location..

once i got all the old wires out of way there was plenty of space for the new wires. you can see the tag light wires remain.

mounting location of the breaker.. i had to cut back the additional length of wire but no biggie.. looks good right!!! .. better to be too long than coming up short (insert your own dirty comments).

I chose to try and make things look factory since i still had my old switch mount and face plate. New switch mounted but new mount holes were required in the dash since new switch sits almost flush...

I had to enlarge the opening a little with my dremel and I used some mounting tape to hold the faceplate. Looking great!!

Just a little video I did to show the remote in action... I'm so happy I reconsidered getting the remote.. COOL FACTOR!!!

oh.. and did I say he is a FREAKING GENIUS!!!

Last edited by jeepgirl : 02-10-2017 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:28 AM
Gone,Never Forgotten.

great Info

Thank Brianne,
The front switch conversion looks great.

The Video is a great idea.

80 Cherokee
360 ci 727 with
Comp cams 270 h
NP208
Holley 4180
Msd total multi spark.
4" rusty's springs

Old 02-12-2017, 09:05 PM

No prob ... wanted to show the remote COOL FACTOR!!

The faceplate mod was a last minute inspiration

Old 05-14-2017, 10:19 PM

I am interested in a wiring kit. Are they still available?
Old 06-01-2017, 03:03 AM

tailgate harness

PM sent. Would like version 2. Thanks. Hope all is well with you.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:44 PM
232 I6

I have sent a pm as well. I would love the 1st version. Thanks!
1968 Jeep Gladiator, full Resto in progress
1963 two door ifs one owner Wagoneer
Old 06-12-2017, 09:39 AM
Noob!

PM sent for version 1
Old 06-17-2017, 07:15 AM
Noob!

I'd like a version 2 please.