• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeepdreamer
    327 Rambler
    • Jan 27, 2008

tailgate rust repair help?

I stripped my new (to me ) tailgate down to bare metal. I found 3 spots that have rusted through but im not sure the best way to fix it? 2 are behind the plate and the other is just to the right of those. They are all down at the bottom but there is no way to get at them from the inside. The bracket for the window gears is in the way. Anyone have any thoughts? My welder and cutting/grinding stuff are all put away so its nothing but elbow grease from here out... Advice??
  • jeepdreamer
    327 Rambler
    • Jan 27, 2008

btt

Uh... anybody??

Comment

• Frank
      327 Rambler
      • Jun 06, 2000

You're in a tough spot in there. I found it a PITA just recovering the C-clips for the window regulator when they flew off while trying to install them. Now, you're looking at removing rust down there? Elbow grease is the correct phrase. Unless, of course you want to cut the thing open...
      Frank
      '88 Grand Wagoneer (Almond), "Sluggo" (RIP)
      '88 Grand Wagoneer, (Baltic Blue) "Sluggo II" (RIP)
      '89 Grand Wagoneer, (Dover Grey) "Sluggo III", keeping my hobby alive!

Comment

• jeepdreamer
        327 Rambler
        • Jan 27, 2008

Rust

Thanks Frank... Yeah, i realise this is gonna suk. I got to looking at it a little closer today and i think i may have gotten a little lucky? The rust is all at the very bottom, about an inch from the lowere edge. I got to looking inside with the panel removed and i Will be able to get to the inside.. Just not sure what the best thing is to use? I took the tailgate down to bare metal and shot some self-etching primer on the rusty area. Now im not sure how to patch something that is hollow? My 1st thought is to put tape on the inside and apply glazing putty on the outside? Any help??? Anyone!!??!!

Comment

Working...
        X