• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shep 762
    232 I6
    • Feb 03, 2016

Who has used a TBI from a 454?

I started collecting parts for a tbi swap on a 401 and decided that the larger one from a 454 would be the best fit. As I'm going through the different guides though, I'm starting to see that the parts list doesn't quite match what I'm finding on the truck. Right now it looks like my donor truck has no Esc module or knock sensor. My question is... Do I just keep trucking on? I mean, if there is no sensor and no wiring for it, is it safe to assume that as long as I use the original ecm and wiring harness that it'll still work? Should I graft a harness from a 350 instead? I'm starting to see now that many of the 454s didn't come with these, so I was curious if any of you have already dealt with this before?

The donor truck is a '93 3500, with a 4l80 I believe, if that makes any difference
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

many have used the larger 454 TB, just be sure to not get the small injectors that run @ 30psi, supposedly they are no bueno.
    Only used for a few years.

You do not need to use a knock sensor.
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Shep 762
      232 I6
      • Feb 03, 2016

Hey Tony! I was hoping you'd chime in, glad to hear from you man. After all, seeing your setup is what convinced me to go TBI. Well sounds good then, I'll finish pulling the wire harness tomorrow, it's pretty much the only thing left to grab

Oh and I guess I'll have to find the injectors elsewhere anyway, seems to be the only thing missing from the donor truck. Somehow those seem to disappear from the vehicles before the forklift even sets them down

Comment

• babywag
        out of order
        • Jun 08, 2005

I'd suggest buy new or refurbed, or if you get lucky and find a set make sure to have them cleaned/flow tested.

same goes for yards down here never see tbi injectors.
        especially on trucks.
        Tony
        88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Bill USN-1
          258 I6
          • Nov 11, 2006

It's all covered in the FAQs on www.binderplanet.com in the injection forum.
          The HD trucks ran the 8747 ECM vs the 7747.
          No knock required due to EPA rules.

The 94-95 7.4 used the 4428 injector at 28-30psi and had the round TPS.

I have built quite a few of these systems for the 360 and 401s.
          Bill USN-1
          Fuel Injection Moderator at BinderPlanet
          Hamilton Fuel Injection
          75 scout XLC 345/727/JPD300/3.73's/33's/4wdisc/hydroboost/EFI/OBA/OBW
          1977 Innocenti 1001 (Italian Mini)EFI 1275/DIS

Comment

• yossarian19
            258 I6
            • Nov 13, 2016

I will defer to those who have been there done that, but I myself am looking at using the BBC throttle body unit w/ a microsquirt controller. GM stuff works just fine but looks like a PITA to tune / program. Microsquirt is easier to program and if you want to improve it later it's easy to do. For instance adding a crank / cam trigger, using coil on plug ignition, going mpfi, etc.

Comment

Working...
            X