• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The PIG Smith
    King Browless

• Nov 30, 2001

FSJ Frame Strength for a Diesel Swap

The recent posting created by Songman about the purchase of a 1990 Dodge Cummins 6BT as a donor for a FSJ Diesel project has prompted me to revisit this topic of Frame strength.
    Would this be a good donor for a swap into a J10 or GW? I found this truck complete with 5.9 Cummins Turbo Diesel that I can get complete for $800. The truck is wrecked in the front corner but the engine is fine... Edit - I just read the ad again and the truck is not 4x4 so then it comes down to just swapping the engine? With

There is a debate (I would like to say a it's a HUGE debate, but I am sure there would be debate over the size of the debate) about FSJ Frames

Some say the FSJ frames are not strong.
    They say the frame is not deep enough and not boxed enough and the material is not thick enough and is soft like butter to use for a Cummins 6BT.

Other say these frames are as strong as any other frame of the same era.

I would like discuss this more and other than just opinions (which are great for a discussion), I would love some more factual evidence.

I've dreamed of a Diesel FSJ for a long time.
    Short of struggling to keep a roof over my head, I have not been able to move beyond the planning stage.

I've desired a Cummins 6BT, but the simplicity of the GM 6.2 Diesel swap have caused me to change my plans.
    However, the source of this 1st gen Cummins 6BT is being to grow.
    A person can find them in others places, like in School Buses and med duty trucks.

But, before anyone can address the issues related to the a Cummins 6BT, a person needs to have a good foundation, a good frame.

One factor is how would one use a 6BT powered FSJ.
    A 6BT powered Wagoneer may lead a different life than a J20 tow rig.

Allow me to share my plans (fools fantasy) for a 6BT powered FSJ.
    I would like a recovery rig, long range tow rig, dually rear axle, on board air (easy bolt on for a 6BT) and my flat bed would hold a 5th wheel hitch.

What I do with such a rig?
    I want to be able to leave NE Indiana and head to the Southwest to collect those toys, like a 70 Nova, 67 Mercury Cougar, 71-74 Javelin, Jeep Forward Control, Fox Body Mustang (for Nathan) or a whole host of other interests that I have.
    Bryan Smith
    2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
    - 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green
    1986 Jeep J20
    - Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line
    1982 Jeep J10
    - Has become a Long Term Project.
    1981 Jeep J20
    - Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
    1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
    - Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

Originally posted by Jayrodoh
    ...but if it works, I wouldn't touch it.
    Originally posted by Lindel
    Best laid plans, yada yada yada...
  • 1983 j10
    327 Rambler
    • Apr 13, 2008

the easiest way to do that would probly be to find a dodge and put the fsj body on it. and since your doing a flat bed it would be pretty easy.
    1983 j10 lwb soon to be a 4.5l stroker AMC 20 rear 44 front 4spd manual in the process of restoring

01 xj 3" and 31's

Comment

• Mikel
      • Aug 09, 2000

I am partial to M715 frames. They are a bit stronger, boxed to a larger extent, have reinforcements that civilian frames don't have and have a built-in suspension lift that makes engine fitment a lot easier.
      Last edited by Mikel; 05-02-2010, 06:47 PM.
      1969 M715 6x6
      1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

• 76FSChief
        258 I6
        • Feb 19, 2010

Glad to hear that I am not the only guy that has dreamed about a diesel Jeep. I am in the middle of the swap as we talk - engine, transmission and transfer case are all mounted up.

Originally I wanted to go with the original frame but people told me that I wouldnt be able to. Then I started thinking about doing the Dodge frame but after talking to a dealer out in Ontario I decided to go with my original idea. He said all that is necessary is a little reinforcement of the frame and your good to go - they have done the swap a few times with no customer complaints.

Anyways I am going to get a thread going for the build, and if I can help you out in anyway just let me know.

Comment

• Songman
          327 Rambler
          • Jan 25, 2008

Even though the particular truck I was interested in got sold, I am still interested in this swap so will watch with interest. I'm on the lookout for an affordable donor.
          1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
          1979 Jeep J-10 Pickup
          1963 Jeep J300 Gladiator

Comment

• vintagetrks
            304 AMC
            • May 01, 2009

Would you have to beef up the frame for a GM 6.2 swap. I would think the only reason a fellow would have to beef the frame up for the cummins is the higher torque. Because it would seem to me that the GM 6.2 would be a heavier engine than the 6bt but I'd bet the 6.2 does'nt produce near the torque of the 6bt. Just a thought.
            New Full Size Jeep Nut

I'm just a washed up old has been, Army guy.
            My opinions are outdated... After all, what have I done lately? I used to be somebody "A SOLDIER!"

04 Jeep Wrangler "Lil Ninja" 32's 2in lift swaybar disconnects
            90 Grand Wagoneer "Big Mama"

Comment

• HOOT

• Mar 28, 2003

HOOT says:
              Buy a truck you like and morph it into a FSJ knock off. I finally got fustrated when after years of work my J20 got destroyed on Its maiden trip after being rebuilt. Diesel was to come later after the Honcho was back on the street. No longer with a tow rig I was at square one not to mention the money loss. So after long debate I went outside the Jeep world for a truck,something I have never done in my life and I was 45 years old. Picked up a somewhat well taken care of '95 F350 and did a refresher on it. The power and drive is unbelieveable not to mention the safety as well. Yes I could of made my J20 back to this type of tow ability and stable road manners but I didn't see that happening with the struggles the past couple of years.

My neighbors roll their eyes as the see me wire tying a razor or muscle grill to the Ford sizing it up. It can be done, like dropping in a different drive line its all just a matter of fabbing. Only in this case I'm keeping factory driveline and changing its skin as much as possible.

I have a utility bed I bought for the Jeep. It's a Reading and as anyone knows it looks nothing like a Jeep even when its on a Jeep. So I found a use for my factory fiber glass rear flares no one wanted to buy. I also have a set of rear J truck tail lights that will be grafted in place of the round Reading lights. My J truck rear bumper will most likely be installed as well, although there is a sweet after market step bumper I want also. Since I prefer the looks of a brow truck I'll most likely put a Lund visor on it for the unibrow bliss.
              It's a factory crew cab so now I'll have my sleeper unit as well that I wanted. All I have to haul is me and Annie, and she prefers shotgun. I picked up a killer topper for it from a TX member on here(Thanks Jason).
              This thing can pull the house of its foundation and still get me to the Dairy Queen for a sundae. Capable of hauling gooseneck or bumper pull and able to do it cross country like a Sunday drive.
              I have about $3000 more into this as I had into my J20 and it was still sporting the 360 motor, dana 44/60 SRW 3:73 gears and regular cab with 8' bed.
              I now have 7.3 (brace yourself Derek) Turbo !! diesel, with overdrive, crew cab, Sterling 10.25 dually,4:10 gears, with a locker and dual fuel tanks.
              Soon it will have the utility bed and other Jeep stuff as I get time to work it over. It may never be a Jeep but it has an older Ford style that I like, and most of all so far very dependable after being worked fairly hard the last year or so. 20,000 miles on it in less than a year and it sits for week or more at a time as I have a different daily driver car that gets all non hauling type driving.

So turn your J trucks into diesels if you want but its my love for getting back behind the wheel of my Honcho and wanting to take it back to its homeland in the Southwest that forces me to change tow rigs, even if it means being towed by a Ford to get there.
              Now if they only had a F350 site as nice as this one is.....
              Last edited by HOOT; 05-03-2010, 03:10 AM.
              Tom Gibson
              1980 J20 Utility bed truck. Factory cab and chassis truck. Many new mods for it but it will look all stock.
              1985 J10 nothing special just a nice clean stock truck.
              1977 Honcho "Blue" 401/400/quad. Under going major upgrades.."This is Not Your Fathers Honcho", it may not even be a Honcho anymore when done.
              2017 Challenger. Very jealous of the Jeeps.

Comment

• The PIG Smith
                King Browless

• Nov 30, 2001

Originally posted by vintagetrks
                Would you have to beef up the frame for a GM 6.2 swap. I would think the only reason a fellow would have to beef the frame up for the cummins is the higher torque. Because it would seem to me that the GM 6.2 would be a heavier engine than the 6bt but I'd bet the 6.2 does'nt produce near the torque of the 6bt. Just a thought.
                IMHO, No, you would not.

First, the GM 6.2L Diesel is about 750# fully dressed compared to the Cummins 6BT which is about 1200# dry.

You are correct, the torque from a 6.2L is nowhere near that of a Cummins 6BT.

The 6.2L is about the same size and only slightly heavier than a small block Chevy.
                So, if the FSJ frame can handle the size, weight and power from a hot SBC, then the 6.2L is not a problem.

The issue as I understand it is the FSJ frame would not hold up to the excessive weight and the torque from a Cummins 6BT.
                Last edited by The PIG Smith; 05-03-2010, 06:00 AM.
                Bryan Smith
                1986 Jeep J20
                1982 Jeep J10
                1981 Jeep J20
                1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer

Comment

• WHSII
                  Hack-Priss
                  • Feb 06, 2010

Bumper

Hello Hoot.

Now before you graft a good J10 bumper on a Ford, Lets talk.

If it is 5 1/2" tall, and in good shape, I might be able to make it worth your while.

Thanks,
                  WH

Dad's J10, Honcho, 1980 Sport Side
                  Build http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=118144

https://picasaweb.google.com/113072766039246994279/JeepJ10Honcho

Herbina 1987 Grand Wagoneer

Founding Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• jMedia
                    350 Buick
                    • May 27, 2009

I wrote this the other night but I guess it didnt post:
                    For what you want to use the rig for Pig Smith, I think you would either have to box the whole frame, or swap the dodge frame underneath (which seems easier *if* you have the tools for it, big IF).
                    I am now looking towards the 6BT as well, but my Wagoneer would be a daily driver for me and wouldnt be towing anything.
                    I am anxiously waiting 76FSChiefs build thread
                    And speaking of the rig 76FSChief mentioned, it was done by overlanddiesel at overlanddiesel.com
                    I emailed the guys asking questions and didnt get too specific answers but this is what they emailed back:

"Hello Josh,

The frame was plated and reinforced in key areas. A crossmember plate was later installed to tie the frame rails together as well as act as a slam-guard for the front differential to oilpan. The Jeep already had a 4" lift but it sagged 2" after only a few months. 2 additional J20 leaves were added to each pack and it hasn't settled since. Hope this helps. Send us pics when you are done! Love seeing other swaps. ......."

And to vintagetrks, the frame needs to be beefed up because of the torque and the weight. The 6bt is a HEFTY engine. IIRC MUCH heavier than the 6.2, exemplified by the sag they mentioned in above email
                    Joshua
                    1988 Grand Wagoneer "Elwood"(thanks krek)
                    Constantly changing, never done

Comment

• seamus
                      327 Rambler
                      • Oct 08, 2003

My 2005 cummins goes through front end parts like crazy,
                      it's my daily driver spends winters on stock height tires and
                      summer on 35's.
                      145000 kms and some parts have been replaced 3 times.
                      Don't underestimate the forces that these big tourquy
                      engines produce, and don't forget there is no kill like overkill.
                      1980 Cherokee WT with Cummins 6BT

Comment

• uglyjeep
                        232 I6
                        • Aug 20, 2007

Originally posted by vintagetrks
                        Would you have to beef up the frame for a GM 6.2 swap.
                        I haven't and I'm not going to.

I'm only a few PS pressure lines, radiator hoses, and a couple of wires short of running my 6.2 in my jeep. My springs aren't sagging considerably more than they were before the 6.2(but they were/are sagging very bad). I have a "custom" set of spring packs (that use the jeep front main leafs and leafs from some unknown trucks rear springs) that I'll put on when I put in my HD44.

Anyway, back to the topic. IMHO, a 6BT would need, at least, some serious reinforcement to the stock frame, even if the engine isn't tuned/hopped up. I think a 6bt would probably turn a stock FSJ frame into a pretzle over time (or very quickly...).
                        The eternal project -'87 6.2 diesel, '75 cherokee chassis, t-18 & dana 20, & WT dana 44's(rear lock-right, front trac-lok) , '67 j-3000 cab ('75 dash & pedals, '67 column, "leather" astro bench), '33 IH D-1 (Willys Six C-113) bed.

'66 cj-6a tuxedo park

Comment

• The PIG Smith
                          King Browless

• Nov 30, 2001

I know this topic has been brought up before, so I did a search and IMHO, here is the best that I found on this topic:

FSJeeper commenting about FSJ frames:

I'm using the frame from an '81 J-10 for my '65 Kaiser J-2000 Cummins project. Question is, will this frame stand up to 6-700ft/lbs of torque? or am I going to twist the crap out of it when towing heavy loads? I will be doing some reinforcement to the frame to stiffen it and provide mounting locations for a hydraulic dump

How well do very early J-truck frames (1963) compare to later frames? Are they any weaker? Thanks, Mikel

gotmike's Cummins powered Cherokee and speaks about his frame:
                          just thought i'd show off mine a bit... my dad had an old '77 jeep cherokee chief that broke down and sat in a field for quite a while... he was about to the point of hauling it to the crusher when i piped up and asked if he'd just give it to me... it was purchased by his car dealership and the title basically dissolved at
                          Bryan Smith
                          1986 Jeep J20
                          1982 Jeep J10
                          1981 Jeep J20
                          1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer

Comment

• jaber
                            Dragin Az
                            • Oct 17, 2003

I would also like to see where this topic goes....
                            Jeff

'43 cj2a
                            '51 Willys p/u
                            '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
                            '68 Panel Delivery
                            '74 CJ5
                            '75 J-20 Wrecker
                            '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
                            '77 J-10 p/u
                            '79 Cherokee
                            '88 Grand Wagoneer
                            '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• jMedia
                              350 Buick
                              • May 27, 2009

From reading all these threads I think that boxing atleast around the engine bay would be the smart thing to. Possibly throw in a crossmember or some gusseting and you'd be set. Now to find shop prices on frame boxing......

Someone brought up a good point on one thread, how much torque does a slightly build 401 put out? And how much does one weigh?

If only i could find a 5.9 that was under 3grand
                              Last edited by jMedia; 05-04-2010, 12:42 PM.
                              Joshua
                              1988 Grand Wagoneer "Elwood"(thanks krek)
                              Constantly changing, never done

Comment

Working...
                              X