• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cliff
    350 Buick
    • Mar 30, 2002

77 Cherokee Front Wheel Bearings

I realize that my Cherokee doesn't have a standard (car type) set of inner and outer wheel bearings. However, are there any components within the front axle assembly that should receive periodic maintenance, besides grease fittings and diff fluid level? I am looking at my front end for the first time and the TSM simply says to lubricate front wheel bearing every 25k miles. Where are the wheel bearings?
    Cliff Danley
    1977 Cherokee S

• wiley-moeracing
    350 Buick
    • Feb 15, 2010

in the front hubs. 2, inner and outer, different sizes. every 25,000 miles is a little excessive but would not hurt.

Comment

• tgreese
      • May 29, 2003

The hub is basically the same as a 2WD car hub, except that the spindle is a lot larger in diameter and has a big hole in the middle to accomodate the axle shaft that passes through it. Unlike a car, the inner and outer bearings are about the same diameter on a Jeep and the spindle does not taper. Service procedure is pretty close to the same otherwise.

A lot depends on use of the vehicle. IMO 25K miles will be too long if you drive in muddy water regularly. In that case I would buy extra seals and gaskets and keep them on hand, so I could get in to the hubs and axles without any delay. After any deep water fords, it's a good idea to check the condition of the bearings and axles, especially the axle lube. In later years, Jeep put a high-mount vent on both axles, but water can still find its way in.

Excuse me if you already know this: When they say "lubricate front wheel bearings," they mean to remove the hub, remove the bearings, clean out the hub and bearings (wash the bearings in solvent - don't spin to dry), inspect the bearings and the races, pack the bearings, install with a new grease seal, and assemble to proper tightness. I also put a couple of handfuls of grease in the hub as well as packing the bearings. You can hand pack (not difficult) or buy a tool that pressure-packs using your grease gun. Force out all the old grease and solvent and fill the spaces between the rollers and in the cage with grease.
      Last edited by tgreese; 04-18-2019, 08:46 AM.
      Tim Reese
      Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
      Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
      Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
      GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
      ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

When you pack the front wheel bearings, pull the spindle off (6 bolts) and grease the needle bearing on the inside back of the spindle. Just take a fingerful of grease and swipe it around the bearing.
        Art
        ASE Master Collision Tech
        "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.

Comment

• Cliff
          350 Buick
          • Mar 30, 2002

Thanks! Good advice as usual from you folks!
          Cliff Danley
          1977 Cherokee S

Comment

Working...
          X