International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Classifieds > "Look Here" for Parts, Vehicles and Vendors > Homegrown Vendors: (Members who produce FSJ related items)

Old 01-25-2010, 07:17 AM
Cowboy Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocurtiss
Could I come pay you a visit and have you install it for me? if so how much?

I can do this for folks local here as long as it's a '80 and down rig where we are not replacing the master cylinder. I prefer not to get into bleeding the brake system because I work cheap and don't have the time to get into something which may become more involved than the ~1hr it takes to just do the HB install and bleed.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:08 AM
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott
I can do this for folks local here as long as it's a '80 and down rig where we are not replacing the master cylinder.

Hi Elliott,
So with the older FSJ's, you're unbolting the FSJ master from the booster and then bolting it up to the Hydroboost? Is that correct?

1989 Grand Wagoneer "Terminator 2"
Old 01-25-2010, 08:13 AM
Cowboy Up

That's correct Greg, for the pre '81 rigs with power brakes only. The manual brake MCs have a deep indent on the plunger and won't match the rod length in the HB. On the '81+ rigs the stub on the OEM MC is too wide to fit into the onpening on the HB so those require an MC swap.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:53 AM

price

Hey I have an 83 j10 that i want to install hb on and was wondering what the price is gonna be for your setup with a new mc. What would the shipping be to 30728. Thanks alot for your time.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:07 AM
Cowboy Up

It really depends one which hydroboost you want and what style mounting assembly you want use with it. Send me an email through the forum and I'll run some stuff by you. My pm box is typically full here... but the emails always get to me.

The cheapest is $150 shipped on an Astro HB with MC, the mount is $46+. That leaves you with hoses to buy at AutoZone for ~$50 and six 3/8" hose clamps plus the PS fluid.

I also have some stainless mounts that will bolt to your aluminum firewall block for more $$$. This one has not been welded or fit up yet, just to give you an idea:
http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo53/65Gladiator/HB/Stainless-HBMount-Material.jpg

Last edited by Elliott : 02-12-2010 at 07:09 AM.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:02 PM

Question power steering pump

i need one for a 1968 j2000 do you know where i can get one?
Old 02-13-2010, 07:02 PM

hey, if yours is only leaking... here is a repair kit that may solve your problem!
Old 02-18-2010, 06:06 PM
Cowboy Up

Very soon I will have new hydroboost to add to what I offer. The quantity will be limited. Pics coming when I take delivery.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:37 PM
Cowboy Up

These new hydroboost will be delivered this week. Pics coming. Now... in case you have to wonder... You see these listed elsewhere for like $760 with the custom mounting plate and a set of hoses, the pricing on these won't even approach that. This will be a limited supply and I have no idea if I'm going to be able to get more to be able to sell these as cheap as I will be selling them.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:14 PM
Cowboy Up

The new ones are here. For you international members I do ship overseas, have one going to Portugal next week. Also, depending on the unit desired and the MC, I can fit some of these in the new large priority flat rate boxes (the 20 lb max rules out the iron MCs) to ship overseas for around $56 compared to about $98 for the larger box.

These will fit most hydroboost master cylinders with the 3.4" MC bolt spacing up to about '99. I think it was about '00 that the opening in the front of the hydroboost was enlarged to fit the later model disc/disc master cylinders. You can put a disc/disc MC on these but not the '00+ MCs.

The part number is Bendix 2771250 and they were for the '93-'95 GM P-Series 3500 van. I can set you up with what ever you want for a mounting plate or mounting assembly. I also have some OEM plates from various rigs if you want to go that route.

These are set for the removable rods. I have a select few of those (kinda pricey) and I have some threaded rods for adjustable ends. Alternatively you can also cut your MC rod, thread it 3/8x24tpi and couple it to the threaded rod. I have couplers and jam nuts available if you can't source them locally. They are a lil hard to find in 24tpi. Right now I only have a few of the threaded rods and have to check on what it's going to cost to have a batch run on a CNC as I don't think doing them on the Bridgeport is going to be cost effective.

Here is what the removable rods look like that I had made up to fit adjustable rod ends, or could be coupled to your cut/threaded booster rod end:

Last edited by Elliott : 02-25-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:49 PM
Cowboy Up

New listing added to first post in this thread.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:37 PM

hydro boost

I have a 1979 J-20 454 chevy front disc r/drum.What do I need exactly? and how much $ and shipping to 85208 also my two sons want this,74 Bronco and 91 blazer,thanks.

Last edited by m7151968 : 03-18-2010 at 11:47 PM. Reason: more script
Old 03-19-2010, 06:24 PM
Cowboy Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by m7151968
I have a 1979 J-20 454 chevy front disc r/drum.What do I need exactly? and how much $ and shipping to 85208 also my two sons want this,74 Bronco and 91 blazer,thanks.

Do you want new hydroboost or used?

Right now I have one used Astro van HB left and if you go to the first post in this thread you will find a link to it. That unit is $171 shipped with the mount to replace your aluminum firewall block on the J20 and that is priced without the master cylinder as your iron MC will fit.

You can either buy it on ebay or tell me you will buy it and I'll cancell the listing for you. I am planning to hit the yards this Sunday to try and get more but the weather is supposed to be nasty at least Saturday.

I can also set up that '04 GM unit, again, with the reservoir for $280 shipped with the mount, this is a new unit.

Then, I have new P30 van hydroboosts with the adjustable brake rod that I can get into your rigs easy and those are $321 shipped with a mount (the Bronco mount be a lil more, I'd have to ask my welder). The Bronco will also require another MC and you can get a good Fenco reman '78 Vette power brake disc/disc MC that would work well, or another FSJ iron MC also... or for $25 I can include a used aluminum Astro MC. This would actually be the perfect unit for the bronco as it takes a rod extension and this is set up for it. But there would be no problem getting it into either of the other rigs... but I do need to check out the '91 Blazer mounting situation and may need to map that out with you.

Feel free to use the forum system to send me an email (not the pm as my box is about full and I don't have time to sweep it out right now). Please email me and I take paypal at the same address if that works for you or you can tell me your payment preference.

When I set you up all you need to buy is the hoses, fluid (per my instruction sheet) and six 3/8" hose clamps. Hoses can be made by NAPA for about $50 or you can source them at Autozone (GM and then bend to fit) for about $50.

Thanks for the interest!

Elliott
Old 03-19-2010, 06:38 PM
Gear Head

This is how the hydroboost went on my J4000 all drums.

Pic #1 is a late model alum spacer mounted on the firewall.

Pic #2 inside showing how much off the original holes were in the firewall (about 1/2" right).

Pic #3 is the booster bolted to the spacer.

Pic #4 is of the MC mounted to the booster with brake lines attached. Notice how the rear tube has been reduced to 3/16" to match the original.

Pic #5 is of the hoses going into the pump.

Pic #6 shows the hoses (pipes) going to and from the booster. I used the info from the post for the hoses. I still had to modify; for instance, having the hydraulic mechanic, Steve, at Hickory, NC, Flowers (NAPA) store replace the O-ring fitting with my flare fitting to fit my steering sector. Still, some radical bending was needed to make them fit. But they do, and they are leak free.

Pic #7 shows a line lock along with a warning light relay that I installed while the brake lines were apart.

Now I have POWER brakes for the first time in my 37 year old truck.
Thanks a whole bunch, Elliot.
'73 J4000 'WOOD GO' 360, 2100 MC, T-18, D-20, 60-2 rear, D-44 closed knuckle front, Eaton E-lockers both, Pertronix module, AC, PS, '77 Firebird tilt column, Hydro-boost, AirLift bags front and rear, 33x15 Goodyear MTR's, Pacer 15x8 aluminum Bullet Holes, Summit line lock, 3rd brake light

Last edited by Rod2 : 03-19-2010 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:18 AM
Cowboy Up

Good job Rod. That worked for the '73 where the brake rod attached to the brake pedal on the driver's side. I'm not sure that would work for what I think was the manual braked rig with the rod attaching on the passenger side and then there were other variations in the '62-'66 mount. I'm working up a single flange mounting system for each specific application and... I have one now for the mounting position like your's (position 2, '67-'73) that is being cut next week. I had some order's stack up for that mount and then rather than cut the plates by hand, the guy I have making them is having a shop run them on a CNC cutter so it's going to be a week out before he gets them. We are having some fun doing this and I bought a new mig and a hypertherm plasma so I'm setting up some tooling to cut my own stuff and maybe be able to get it out to guys quicker. I may be building my own plasma pantograph... looking into that at the moment as I can justify a CNC table at this point. The first step here is to just get my garage wired for the 60amp plasma.
Thanks for posting up, nice brakes are a good thing.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:04 AM
Gear Head

The brake rod to-the-pedal distance was spot on; bolted up the booster and the rod slippedf on the post without jiggle, pry, nor force. The most satisfying part of the job until it was all hooked up.

Thanks again.
'73 J4000 'WOOD GO' 360, 2100 MC, T-18, D-20, 60-2 rear, D-44 closed knuckle front, Eaton E-lockers both, Pertronix module, AC, PS, '77 Firebird tilt column, Hydro-boost, AirLift bags front and rear, 33x15 Goodyear MTR's, Pacer 15x8 aluminum Bullet Holes, Summit line lock, 3rd brake light
Old 03-20-2010, 02:41 PM
Cowboy Up

This is a prototype '67-'73 position 2 mounting plate (without the HB mount attached yet)... you can probably see why it's taking me a lil while to dial it in. All said and done it will require one hole be drilled through the firewall, but the hole on the other side is already in the pedal assembly.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:04 PM
Gear Head

Hey Elliott, have you made any adapters for Ford trucks? I have a '69 F250 that I would like to put a hydroboost on......also have a '77 F250 both are 2wd. Thank You
-Lance

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDONE
Bring some wet-naps. I'm gonna lick everything you butt doesn't touch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulsizjeep
Heck Yeah, I am an equal opportunity offender today and think we should all get bent.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:13 PM
Cowboy Up

Shoot me an email through the forum (not a PM) and I'll see what I can do to get something together after checking if it's like something I already have for Fords. Right now I have two sweet F350 HBs so if the rod length is right those would be killer in your trucks... ok, maybe a lil overkill. I do have some other Ford MCs that don't push as much fluid that will work fine on the Ford HBs.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:29 PM
Cowboy Up

I have some stuff coming in this week, stay tuned for some of the new options I've been working on. Lots more stuff to come and if you have a rig you haven't seen modified you'd like done just send me an email and I'll see what I can put together.