• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NCOfab
    258 I6
    • Apr 25, 2007

Ls engine harness adaptability

Hey has anyone ventured into using a ls harness and computer and adapted to a V8 of not ls form
    81 j10 honcho with a stroked amc 360/727/208 tts soa kit, and bjs 4inch lift 35inch baja claws

http://ncofab.ca/ in the works

79 j10 amc 360 t18 d20
    79 j20 amc 360 auto np208
    81 honcho sportside

NCOFAB Facebook
  • yossarian19
    258 I6
    • Nov 13, 2016

The harness' connectors are all LS engine specific, so you are kind of implying that the project uses the LS sensor package adapted over to another engine. That could be done but gets expensive / tricky pretty quick.
    If you're thinking about running different sensors / hardware but using the GM harness with new connectors on it, sure, could be done - though I'm not sure how much time and effort you are going to save. You can't use the GM computer without GM cam & crank sensors, which as I said gets tricky, and cutting the GM computer connections off and wiring them to some other controller is a lot of work just to save a few bucks on wire.

Have you looked at Megasquirt?

Comment

• babywag
      out of order
      • Jun 08, 2005

People have done it by adding crank/cam wheels/sensors using various methods.
      I am not aware of an AMC engine that has utilized an LS computer.
      Could be done though.
      You would need to add a 24x crank wheel, and 1x cam wheel.
      Or 54x crank wheel, and 4x cam wheel, if using later pcm.

I have begun investigating doing the swap, I believe using a stock GM 24x crank wheel and fabricating a crank sensor mount is doable.
      Just haven't begun mocking anything up.
      It appears size wise that the wheel would be large enough to mount on harmonic balancer.
      I also believe that a 1x wheel from a '96-ish 5.7 Vortec distributor may work on a modified Duraspark. But again haven't started trying to mock one up.
      There is also an individual who creates hybrid distrbutors for ~$150.
      He basically uses AMC base and GM top, he has done AMC/TBI this way and when I spoke to him he didn't think using a later one would be any harder.
      Last edited by babywag; 03-26-2017, 09:07 AM.
      Tony
      88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• yossarian19
        258 I6
        • Nov 13, 2016

Adapting an LS package to work on an AMC would make it run better but it's a more complicated solution than necessary, and you still don't have an overdrive transmission. Easier, I think, to LS swap it OR go with Megasquirt, an AW4 trans / flex plate (crank sensor mounted to bell housing, reads flex plate) & modify the distributor into a cam sensor if you want fully sequential injection / spark. Easier still to run semi sequential + waste spark with just the crank sensor.
        Then you have overdrive, pretty simple physical modifications, and it's easy to tune as the franken-motor that it is. Just add throttle unit of your choice.

Comment

• babywag
          out of order
          • Jun 08, 2005

OP isn't asking about MS...
          Tony

Comment

• yossarian19
            258 I6
            • Nov 13, 2016

No, he isn't, but if he's asking about putting an LS control system on an AMC then he should be asking about it.

Comment

• NCOfab
              258 I6
              • Apr 25, 2007

So the crank trigger would probably be the easiest there a couple aftermarket companys that build a external sensor. it's the cam sensor that would be the hardest part but I feel like it could be done
              81 j10 honcho with a stroked amc 360/727/208 tts soa kit, and bjs 4inch lift 35inch baja claws

http://ncofab.ca/ in the works

79 j10 amc 360 t18 d20
              79 j20 amc 360 auto np208
              81 honcho sportside

NCOFAB Facebook

Comment

• babywag
                out of order
                • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by NCOfab
                So the crank trigger would probably be the easiest there a couple aftermarket companys that build a external sensor. it's the cam sensor that would be the hardest part but I feel like it could be done
                Take a look @ this thread.
                I'm had lots of questions and PM's on a project I've been working on, so I thought I'd write up whats done so far. My goal is to have it done in time to drive to Spring Fling in a few months.So...my goal is to take a 98-2002 411 LS1 PCM from an LS Truck/F-body/etc and adapt it to run my 44...

Some decent pics, like I said people have done it on non chevy engines.
                I have been slacking on going to JY to snag a vortec distributor, and see about converting a stock duraspark.

If you search for ls conversions several threads out there. I haven't seen anything AMC specific, but I believe it could be done.
                Tony

Comment

Working...
                X