• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 86grandwagoneer
    232 I6
    • Oct 29, 2014

Higher capacity gas tank with spare tire not relocated

Has anyone heard of a way to set up possibly dual sidesaddle tanks on a grand wagoneer? it would be nice to keep the spare tire under the car and have more fuel capacity
  • joe
    • Apr 28, 2000

Cheapest would be a spare tire area option. Do you really like crawling under there in the mud to access the spare tire? I don't know of an aftermarket saddle tank but it could be built. As an added cost expect you or a shop to re-route the exhaust. Start doing homebrew mods has an economic falling domino effect.
    If you really must keep your spare tire mount area intact, rather than going with a larger aftermarket tank in the orig location shop around locally(get estimates) on have a local build a bigger tank to your specs rather than buying something like a one size fits nothing Aero tank. Never bought one but have yet to hear of one that actually fit w/o mods.
    Again don't rule out having a bigger replacement tank built. Lotta shops are hurting for work in todays economy. Even back in the good economic days I had a shop build me two 250 gal alum dsl saddle tanks for my work boat. Nope not free but pretty darn reasonable. Yup I had to give them dimensions for external size, mount tab,bung, pipe locations. Part of the deal unless willing to pay shop per/hr rates to have someone work a tape measure which you can do free.
    How much more fuel do you "think" you need?
    joe
    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• mdcptman
      Jeep Therapist
      • Apr 09, 2010

Ive had the same question. Because really what do u do with the spare? Store it in the cargo area? I need that space for other stuff. Put it on the roof? That seems possible, but you have to find a way to secure it. Not too hard. Or a swing away bumper mount? Good solution, but expensive, and makes it harder to open the tailgate. But 20 gallon capacity in a vehicle that gets 10 miles to the gallon is laughable. So u gotta do something if u want to drive very far. Its a dilemma.
      Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
      88 Grand Wagoneer
      360/727/NP208/dana 3.31s
      Edelbrock 2131
      Holley 600
      Hydroboost
      Hedman headers
      Dual exhaust
      MSD6A, TFI
      Digital Gauges
      Rusty's 2" Lift
      31x10.5 15LT15s
      Quote From Friend's Mom:
      "You don't rely on that vehicle do you?"

Comment

Adapt a existing tank?

I can't remember what vehicle, but have seen a gas tank with a spare tire depression in it before, it was in the trunk floor.

Don't remember the dimensions or capacity, sorry.

Don't know how big/wide your spare is, but another thought, it you don't need the full height of the cargo area, is to build up a 'false floor' type cabinet/shelf
        just carpet the top of it to match your existing stuff.

I've seen people do this for tool/sporting goods storage, where they don't want it seen thru the windows....sorta the same idea as those roll-out
        cargo cover screens some SUV's have.

Last thought would be a custom tank, same as stock location, but maybe a bit longer/wider?? If there is even enough clearance to do so.

Comment

• suzq044
          304 AMC
          • Dec 23, 2008

You could always get a bumper-rack for the spare tire. *shrugs*
          Max²: 1964 Jeep Panel Wagoneer
          Planning Stages

2018 Wagoneer Rendering if you're interested.

Comment

• 86grandwagoneer
            232 I6
            • Oct 29, 2014

I was thinking the way I would do it is put a second stock GW tank on the passenger side and fab up some sort of cover and connecting hose to the other side. Exhaust could dump under the front passenger side. 2 fuel level sending units could be toggled between from the dash. a replacement GW gas tank seems like unobtanium though.

Comment

• mdcptman
              Jeep Therapist
              • Apr 09, 2010

Contact Member "Rocklaurence" he is near you and usually has lots of parts. He may have a tank. It will mean a lot of fab to make it work on the passenger side. I ran dual exhaust on the outside of the rails behind the rockers. Im not sure if I like it, but it works.
              Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
              88 Grand Wagoneer
              360/727/NP208/dana 3.31s
              Edelbrock 2131
              Holley 600
              Hydroboost
              Hedman headers
              Dual exhaust
              MSD6A, TFI
              Digital Gauges
              Rusty's 2" Lift
              31x10.5 15LT15s