• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FSJunkie
    The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
    • Jan 09, 2011

Cool new carburetors (Hey, Ristow!).

I found some really cool new carburetors from Demon Carburetion in my search for the perfect carburetor.

The first is the "Road Demon, Jr." It is basically a Holley 4160 with a smoother intake path and improved boosters. Just like the 4160, it only has a metering block on the primary side.

The next is the "Road Demon(, sr.)" and is basically a Holley 4150 with he same improvements the Jr. has, and has metering blocks on both sides. It shares a throttle body and venturi body with the Jr.

Both carbs are avalible in 525, 625, and 725 CFM variations. The 525 has annular boosters on all four barrels, where the two larger sizes only have annulars on the secondaries; the primaries and down-leg boosters. Sounds a little bass-ackwards to me. They run in the $280-$350 range and certainly appear to be a better deal than a Holley

But the carb that really caught my eye was the "Street Demon". This carb appears to be based on the Carter Thermoquad, but in all reality was custom designed from the baseplate up. It is unique in many ways and has some of the best designs from past carburetors integrated into one. It is a 3-barrel design and the single massive secondary outflows the tiny primaries 2:1. The secondaries are controled by a mechanical progressive linkage and an adjustable air valve just like an Edelbrock Thunder AVS. The primary boosters are not annular, but are a booster within a booster within the main venturi and should atomize the fuel nearly as well as annular boosters do, in addition to increasing vacuum signal. Fuel discharge in the secondary is through two small copper pipes extending into the air path and acting like a spray bar. Primary fuel metering is accomplished through dual stage metering rods that can be replaced without dissasembling the carburetor, just like on an Edelbrock. secondary metering is accomplished through fixed replacable jets. There is even a composite bodied version to keep down the temperature of ethanol fuel. The accelerator pump jets are standard Holley units for precise tuning. The metering rods, primary and secondary main jets, and step-up springs are all replacable. Like a Quadrajet with it's tiny primaries and huge secondary, the only CFM version is 625 but fits an extremely wide variety of engines since the primaries are so small and the air valve prevents over-carburetion. It also features a small air passage below the idle discharge ports to help atomize the idle mixture, resulting in a super smooth idle.

It looks like an amazing carburetor.

Good video:
    Last edited by FSJunkie; 02-02-2013, 06:31 PM.
    '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.
  • Ristow
    • Jan 20, 2006

Demon carbs have some nice features. unfortunately they have a poor reputation as well. i know of people that have used them,and never will again,and a google search of demon compared to Quick Fuel or holley shows they've had issues.

they were bought out,or at least re-organized a while back,it may have dealt with the issues. hopefully so,as they do have some nicely set up carbs. a 525 annular VS would be perfect for most of us. with a little follow up cleaning and inspection i'm sure even the "bad" ones are fine. they don't have design flaws.

downleg boosters typically give the best acceleration,which is why they are seen so often in place of annular.

that street demon is based on the thermo-quad like the holley 4010 was based on the autolite 4100. meaning it's a blatant copy. right down to the "triple stack boosters" it looks like. not saying it isn't a good unit,i can't say one way or the other,just that "all new" and "redefines" may be stretching it a bit. holley did it too with the 4010 series. edelbrock as well.

there's no money in designing a carb from the ground up anymore. what we'll get is redesigns of what has been offered already.

i wish Quick Fuel would do a small annular 4150/60. i think they have their stuff down.
    Originally posted by Hankrod
    Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
    ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• FSJunkie
      • Jan 09, 2011

Unfortunately the 525 Road Demon Jr. and Sr. are not avalible yet, only the 627 and 725. I might just plunk the Street Demon Thermoquad copy on my Marlin project and see what it does. The 327 needs a carburetor, and the factory 4160 wasn't made that well. The boosters are even mounted crooked in the bores on some of them.

Comment

• serehill
        Gone,Never Forgotten.
        • Nov 22, 2009

Hmm

Originally posted by FSJunkie
        Unfortunately the 525 Road Demon Jr. and Sr. are not avalible yet, only the 627 and 725. I might just plunk the Street Demon Thermoquad copy on my Marlin project and see what it does. The 327 needs a carburetor, and the factory 4160 wasn't made that well. The boosters are even mounted crooked in the bores on some of them.
        Not really new Demon has been around for over 20 years.

80 Cherokee
        360 ci 727 with
        Comp cams 270 h
        NP208
        Edlebrock performer intake
        Holley 4180
        Msd total multi spark.
        4" rusty's springs
        Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• RabbitInTheMoon
          232 I6
          • Dec 19, 2005

Do these carbs have any features that help them on an incline? Sorry about the newbe questions!
          And the road goes on forever and the party never ends....

Comment

• FSJunkie
            • Jan 09, 2011

Originally posted by RabbitInTheMoon
            Do these carbs have any features that help them on an incline? Sorry about the newbe questions!
            Not really. The Road Demons have side and center mounted floats like any Holley, and the Street Demon probably acts like an Edlebrock offroad.

Comment

• BGW
              350 Buick
              • Jan 02, 2009

You have a Marlin?! You can call me jealous! Hope it's got a 327...
              1991 Grand Wagoneer, Stock, 99k.

My buddy Sam: "...as far as gas money goes Peter's car is as thirsty as an alcoholic on St. Patricks day..."

Comment

• FSJunkie
                • Jan 09, 2011

Originally posted by BGW
                You have a Marlin?! You can call me jealous! Hope it's got a 327...
                Technically, it's my Aunt's, but I'm restoring it. 1966 327 console-mounted 4-speed in Marquasa Mauve with a black vinyl top and black bucket seat interior. Power steering, power brakes, tilt wheel, rear speaker reverb unit, F70-14 Crager G/T rims wrapped in F70-14 Firestone Wide Oval redlines, and a factory Power-lok 3.54 in the back. In the early 70s, the owner added extra guages and an 8-grand tach along with a CB radio. They also had almost everything under the hood chromed. it's been siting since 1978 and is in good enough original condition to not require a complete restoration.

I'm rebuilding the engine with a 4bbl carburetor in the 450-550 CFM range and will top it with a chromed dual-snorkel air cleaner off a 1974 Javalin AMX to supply plenty of air. Flat top pistons will produce 9.7:1 compression. HE Ignition is a given. The valve covers are chrome, the valley pan is chrome, and the oil pan is chrome. It'll be exhaling through a dual 2" exhaust system. Should be good for 300 Gross / 215 Net horespower. At that point, it's the heads and cam holding it back. Should make for a 13 or 14 second elapsed time.

Meanwhile the 327 in the Ambassador wagon keeps it's 2bbl carb and fixed blade fan and only 260G / 180N horespower, despite my insistance for otherwise. 250 CFM and losing a free 20 Hp to a fixed fan is just a waste of a good motor.
                Last edited by FSJunkie; 02-03-2013, 05:12 PM.

Comment

• serehill
                  Gone,Never Forgotten.
                  • Nov 22, 2009

NO

Mostly made for drag racing.

80 Cherokee
                  360 ci 727 with
                  Comp cams 270 h
                  NP208
                  Edlebrock performer intake
                  Holley 4180
                  Msd total multi spark.
                  4" rusty's springs
                  Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• FSJunkie
                    • Jan 09, 2011

Originally posted by serehill
                    Mostly made for drag racing.
                    With that in mind, they're probably designed to take alot of straight ahead g-force. A sign of a good float system dialed in correctly is when you slam your vehicle to a sudden stop and let it lerch back to slosh the fuel while watching the RPM's. The steadier they remain, the better the float system for forward and back g-force.

yea, Demons are well knows for their racing prowess, but the street demon is touted as a good daily driver carburetor for stock or mild engines.

Comment

• BGW
                      350 Buick
                      • Jan 02, 2009

Originally posted by FSJunkie
                      Technically, it's my Aunt's, but I'm restoring it. 1966 327 console-mounted 4-speed in Marquasa Mauve with a black vinyl top and black bucket seat interior. Power steering, power brakes, tilt wheel, rear speaker reverb unit, F70-14 Crager G/T rims wrapped in F70-14 Firestone Wide Oval redlines, and a factory Power-lok 3.54 in the back. In the early 70s, the owner added extra guages and an 8-grand tach along with a CB radio. They also had almost everything under the hood chromed. it's been siting since 1978 and is in good enough original condition to not require a complete restoration.

I'm rebuilding the engine with a 4bbl carburetor in the 450-550 CFM range and will top it with a chromed dual-snorkel air cleaner off a 1974 Javalin AMX to supply plenty of air. Flat top pistons will produce 9.7:1 compression. HE Ignition is a given. The valve covers are chrome, the valley pan is chrome, and the oil pan is chrome. It'll be exhaling through a dual 2" exhaust system. Should be good for 300 Gross / 215 Net horespower. At that point, it's the heads and cam holding it back. Should make for a 13 or 14 second elapsed time.

Meanwhile the 327 in the Ambassador wagon keeps it's 2bbl carb and fixed blade fan and only 260G / 180N horespower, despite my insistance for otherwise. 250 CFM and losing a free 20 Hp to a fixed fan is just a waste of a good motor.

1991 Grand Wagoneer, Stock, 99k.

My buddy Sam: "...as far as gas money goes Peter's car is as thirsty as an alcoholic on St. Patricks day..."

Comment

• SEdmonds
                        258 I6
                        • Mar 08, 2010

Originally posted by BGW

Here's a link to this car...it's at the bottom of the page.
                        The first Marlin was an Apollo Yellow 4 speed Marlin. It has nearly every option available that year. It was my sister's first new car, and resembled the car shown to the left. In 1973, it was...

Right now, we're dealing with some of the issues left over from its time as a drag racer. Well..and that the engine is missing a few things.... Still, it's a 4 speed 327 66 Marlin, with a beautiful body and a near-perfect interior. An exact count of how many of these were made isn't available, but most of the Marlin folks tell us there were only 300-500 of them made with the 4 speed. This car is almost the exact oposite of "Arlin", the car we picked up last summer. Arlin's body and interior are toast, but that 327 wanted to start right up.
                        Last edited by SEdmonds; 02-03-2013, 09:40 PM.
                        http://www.1965Rambler.weebly.com

Comment

• csuengr
                          327 Rambler
                          • Jan 19, 2011

I was trying to find that out, but couldn't find anything that describes or shows the exact placement of the floats and the jets. The floats, from what I can tell, are on the side.
                          If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

Comment

• Ristow
                            • Jan 20, 2006

road demon jr. is side hung. all others look to be center hung.
                            Originally posted by Hankrod
                            Ristows right.................again,

... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• FSJunkie
                              • Jan 09, 2011

In any case, I have two 327's. One has it's factory 2bbl that I hate with a passion that burns my soul. The other one is a few months away from running. I have one stock 327 450 CFM Holley that i just rebuilt laying around that needs a new choke assembly. Despite me not liking Holley's 4160 booster design and just not being impressed overal by them, one carb in the hand is better than two in the bush, so one of the 327's is getting it.

Unless I find another ebay stock 327 carburetor that doesn't really impress me, I'll be buying a new carb.
                              • New Holley 465 VS. Not really any improvement to be had here, except a light wallet for poor fuel atomization.
                              • ebay Holley 4180. Getting better. Probably the best carb for the $$$
                              • Summit Racing 600 VS. Seems like a little too much carb.
                              • Road Demon Jr. 525 ...when it comes out, something else untill then.
                              • Street Demon 625 AVS. Looks kinda funky on an otherwise stock restoration.

Comment

Working...
                              X