• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Curly5759
    232 I6
    • Mar 08, 2015

Speaker wire routing

HI, I have a question about factory speaker wire routing. I am installing a new radio and have no continuity to the rear speakers. Wire colors change at the fader (Green/White and White wires) to Blue and Green in the rear.

Can anyone tell me where the wires to the rear are routed? Underneath? Inside? Left? Right? Thanks. (77 Cherokee S)
    77 Cherokee S 360/TH400/QT
  • johnsonic
    258 I6
    • Mar 12, 2015

Pretty sure it runs in the split loom along your driver's side frame rail. See pages 11 & 14 here: http://oljeep.com/gw/77_tsm/28%20197...20Diagrams.pdf
    1984 GW
    Comp 260H
    Harland Sharp Roller Rockers
    Wiseco -21cc Forged Pistons
    Performer Intake
    Holley SA 670
    MSD 8523
    Dakota Digital custom cluster
    Serehill headlamp harness
    NWMP aux tank

1987 GW deceased
    ...but the parts live on

Comment

• johnsonic
      258 I6
      • Mar 12, 2015

OH - and also, just in case - if you're installing a newer head unit & don't have a distinct ground to each speaker, make sure you run one or use a floating ground adapter to keep from frying your new head.

Older units had a common ground for the speakers but that changed at some point. I think the retrosounds and some of the radios that are designed to fit into older cars have this in mind, but DIN radios mostly have discrete grounds.

Would recommend running the wire though - I just did (this weekend actually) and the radio sounds 100% louder and can actually get loud enough to hear over the engine now.

My 2ยข

1984 GW
      Comp 260H
      Performer Intake
      Holley SA 670
      MSD 8523
      NWMP aux tank

1987 GW deceased
      ...but the parts live on

Comment

• Curly5759
        232 I6
        • Mar 08, 2015

John Sonic thanks for the reply. My stereo (Walmart special) has both (+) and (-) speaker wires coming out of the unit. I am ASSuming this means the head unit grounds the speakers. correct?

edit: I have the factory manual, but the wires don't all match in color. They seem to change at every connector! LOL. These are factory wires and connectors, not some hack from a PO

Comment

• johnsonic
          258 I6
          • Mar 12, 2015

Not an expert, but if each speaker (LF, RF, LR, RR) has its own ground coming out of the head, each speaker should use that ground.

And yep - the wires change color! You can see what the connector off the frame harness looks like from the diagram, would start there & check continuity from the speaker forward if you have any doubts in which wire is what.

Hope this helps and not hurts!
          1984 GW
          Comp 260H
          Performer Intake
          Holley SA 670
          MSD 8523
          NWMP aux tank

1987 GW deceased
          ...but the parts live on

Comment

• kansasboy001
            232 I6
            • Nov 06, 2016

You can also just run speaker wire underneath the carpet and into the doors through the hinge. That way all your wire is inside
            1983 Cherokee Laredo. 360/ 727/ np228/ Junkyard 7427 TBI/ Msd ignition

Comment

• Curly5759
              232 I6
              • Mar 08, 2015

Originally posted by kansasboy001
              You can also just run speaker wire underneath the carpet and into the doors through the hinge. That way all your wire is inside
              And that is what I wound up doing. I was trying to use the factory wiring to keep it clean but easy won out over hard.

Comment

Working...
              X