International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 12-27-2001, 01:03 PM

What do you all think about these tow hooks that plug into your receiver and are held by the pin? What would be the capacity of that type of hook? I saw Summit sold these and wanted to know some opinions or if anyone has used them. Thanks.
Nathan
Old 12-27-2001, 01:25 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

I think they're expensive... and kind of unnecessary. These FSJs are already handicapped by the departure angle (angle from tire to lowest contact point - bumper or receiver). Adding anything that sticks out further makes it even worse.

Instead of using the reciever hook, insert the end of the strap (assuming it's got a closed loop) into the reciever and put the pin through the loop. Now you've got a solid tow point and didn't worsen the departure angle. You can even leave the strap attached and coiled in the cargo area until you need it... to pull out someone else of course....

I'm going to design and have a friend build a combined bumper reciever... my reciever is killing me! It's like a &#*@ing anchor.
Old 12-27-2001, 01:30 PM

Yeah I agree about the anchor. I thought about just putting the strap in the hitch and securing it with the pin, seems like the same thing just less expensive. I guess Im just worried about yanking that pin out under pressure creating a steel missle.
Old 12-27-2001, 04:47 PM
Grease Monkey

Be careful if you do that. The pins are designed to take shear-stresses, not the stress from a centered or distributed (better) load that would occur from just sticking the strap directly into the receiver. I admit I've done this on occassion, but I'd never do it if I was trying to snatch somebody from a mudhole. You'd probably only end up bending the pin, but if it let go you'd be in a world of hurt.

RWC
Old 12-27-2001, 05:29 PM
Traveler

If you're worried about the pin why not use a grade 8 or 9 plus bolt, washers and nut instead? That should be the least of your worries then.
41 MB<br />46 CJ-2A 307,T90,D18,27,44,4:27\'S<br />64 Traveler, 350,sm465,np205,44\'s w/4:88\'s, spool, 34X9.50 TSL\'s,3\" factory lift, Line-x interior, PS, Dual Optima\'s, custom overhead console,Warn XD900i,custom bumpers<br /><a href=\"http://images.andale.com/f2/116/106/4651773/1009696569938_64trvlrconsolegrp.JPG\" target=\"_blank\">Overhead C

STOLEN! Dana 300 Twin Stick
Old 12-28-2001, 04:25 PM

I usually use a clevis in place of where the ball is mounted on the hitch. Then you just pin the loop of the strap thru the clevis when you need to pull someone out. Remove everything until it's needed again.
Old 12-29-2001, 02:56 PM
Jeep Idiot

A grade 8 bolt is no better than a hitch pin.
In fact they break easier as the point where the threads start is a high stress point. I have some macherinery at work that used a grade 8 bolt as a cylinder mount and I used to break bolts all the time. Now I use hitch pins and don't have a problem.
The problem I have is that the loop for my 6" strap will not fit in my reciever so I have a 2" square block of steel 6" long that is drilled for a hitch pin on one end and a clevis on the other. I hook the pin end into the receiver and hook up the strap with the clevis.