• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill Moore
    304 AMC
    • May 22, 2006

Originally posted by Pavementsux91XJ
    I hope nobody takes my post as a "Don't do it or I'll think your stupid" post. I'm just trying to give the "con" side of the argument. I personally do think older diesels (tier 0, 1, 2) are easier to work on than gas engines. There are plenty of reasons to do a diesel swap. I am not the utmost authority on diesel swaps, but I am a journeyman equipment mechanic in charge of a fleet of diesel powered trucks and tractors. I've worked on cats, cummins, deere, internationals, kubotas, yanmars, etc. My goal there was kind of a reality check. They cost big $$. I can rebuild an injection pump, but they are alot more complex than carbs. For instance, you rebuild a stanadyme pump like are on the Deeres and Internationals and you put the governer in backwards (very easy to do) and those engines will rev to 8000 RPM with NO way to shut them down until they finally blow up. My gf just bought an old ram 50 with a leaky pump. That pump costs 1200, parts alone. We only got it because I know a seal kit is $100 and I can rebuild the Bosch VE pumps. The 2 stroke oil trick works to prolong the life of the mechanical parts of the pumps, not the seals. The new ULSD diesel is actually B2.5 (2.5% bio diesel) The older ones will evantually leak, trust me, I have a fleet of 50 tractors and the older pumps (pre 94ish) have puked their guts out.

Like I said, I don't want to say dont do it, but I am saying, be prepared, do your homework, and make sure its what you really want before you dump big $$ into a swap and regret it.

I just realized I am completely hijacking this post, my bad!
    I appreciated your posts, what it said to me is, buy the right engine, put it in for the right reasons, and here are some tips. I had this conversation with a buddy of mine thats doing some of the conversion work I dont have time for at the moment. He builds rock crawlers and doesnt understand the logic of the 4bt, he wants big gas engines, or built ones and horsepower. Im looking for durability, miles per gallon, flexibility of fuel supply, simplicity of design and no electronics, like to put in air starts, but the cost is significant. I baby my vehicles and maintain them well, but not a perfectionist, although unless there is a flaw, or catastrophic failure, I figure a 4bt repower is a lifetime conversion. I like that idea. Plus it has plenty of power to do the job, all the while getting 25 to 30 mpg.
    DDs
    67 KJ715 4bt AA OD 465 np205
    78 J20 Chevy 305 nv4500 np205

Projects

Sons Build 1980 short bed J10, j20 axles, 4bt, nv4500, np205, shortened M715 bed and fenders

Freedom is not Free, it is paid for with Blood

Comment

• iroc86
      258 I6
      • Oct 24, 2003

Originally posted by Eugene 1
      Isuzu makes the Duramax don't they ? or designed or something like that ?
      Yes, that's right. This page describes the GM-Isuzu relationship pretty well.

Comment

• seamus
        327 Rambler
        • Oct 08, 2003

Originally posted by Pavementsux91XJ
        I'd go with the 12 valve if your not going with a full race application. I have driven VE and P pumped 12 valces and I can tell you that my 24V with a chip will run circles around them BUT... The install would be much more complex, plus, if your going to P pump the 24 V, you would lose most (not all, but most) of the reason for getting the 24 valve. Add into that that most 98 and 99 and some 00 and 01 24v should be out of the question due to the "53" code brazil block that likes to crack and your going to have a hard time finding a good one. I can tell you that a bone stock 4wd 2500 dodge extra cab long bed has power to spare with the P pump, which means in something as light as a j-truck, that engine will have PLENTY of power.

Something for everybody to keep in mind though. These diesel engines were built to tow in trucks, or for the economy in cars. Other than the new CRD engines, they are not rocket ships. Bone stock they are only going to rev to about 3 grand and it will take them awhile to get there. Its in their design and the fuel they use. I'm not going with a diesel swap, even though I am a diesel mechanic, for just that reason. Gas engines are for horsepower and fast revs, diesels are for torque and pulling. Use your Jeep for mud much? You'll be watching your turbos puke up there turbine wheels. Live in a cold place? startings gonna be fun. I hate to burst anybodys bubble, but those diesels you see in the magazines have a ton of $$$ put into them to make them handle that power. And if your not a diesel mechanic, repairs are more expensive. If the injection pump goes out or starts leaking which will happen to the older pumps when run on the new standard ULSD diesel or bio-juice, your looking at $1000 plus to fix it for parts alone.

I'll get off my soap box now. I've just seen way too many people buy diesels to be cool and think that out of the box they act like the ones in the magazines only to end up either selling them because they can't afford the repairs or blow them up because they don't know what theyre doing.
        Ve pumped 12v's can be strong performers, especially if they are in a vehicle that weighs 2500 lbs less than my 2005 3500.
        The real advantage of the 12v is simplicity and longevity, neither of which can be applied to the common rail engines.

My 12v should be about 350 hp 600+lbft when everything is done, it should be a reasonable performer
        1980 Cherokee WT with Cummins 6BT

Comment

• lobie
          258 I6
          • Feb 25, 2011

Originally posted by seamus
          Ve pumped 12v's can be strong performers, especially if they are in a vehicle that weighs 2500 lbs less than my 2005 3500.
          The real advantage of the 12v is simplicity and longevity, neither of which can be applied to the common rail engines.

My 12v should be about 350 hp 600+lbft when everything is done, it should be a reasonable performer
          Agree. The 12v is a great engine. I am using the VE pump and think it is plenty for the application. The p pump is just an added bonus!
          77 Wagoneer | 6.0 | TH400 | NP205 | Sterling 10.5 | Dana 60
          07 6.7 Cummins 2500 4wd

lobie4x4.com
          CFSJC

Comment

• ReevesDiesel
            230 Tornado
            • Feb 05, 2011

Wow, there are a ton of opinions on this thread. I guess the reality is, it all boils down to brand preference, all of the engine choices discussed are excellent engines and will render years of reliable service.

I have experience with multiple conversions and I have not had the courage to use a 4l80e, to my knowledge the entire transmission is designed for high revving gas/diesel engines. I guess I fear I will never get the shift points in the right place. I typically use the 4bt or 6bt, I have installed both engines in fsj's. So I opt for the 47RH and the TF727.

There is no doubt in my mind that the early Cummins engine are as simple as they come. With minimul effort scourcing parts does not have to be overly expensive.

If at all possible I would recommend seeking out running vehicles with the different engine choices you are contemplating. At the very least hear them crank up and run. Ultimatley, I earge you to get behind the wheel of them and see how the different choices feel to you. It could make all the difference!
            Aaron Reeves

Comment

• The PIG Smith
              King Browless

• Nov 30, 2001

Welcome Aaron Reeves!
              I've been watching your projects on Facebook and very impressed with you work and attention to detail.
              Bryan Smith
              2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
              - 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green
              1986 Jeep J20
              - Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line
              1982 Jeep J10
              - Has become a Long Term Project.
              1981 Jeep J20
              - Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
              1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
              - Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

Originally posted by Jayrodoh
              ...but if it works, I wouldn't touch it.
              Originally posted by Lindel
              Best laid plans, yada yada yada...

Comment

• ReevesDiesel
                230 Tornado
                • Feb 05, 2011

Oh, thanks man. We sure have fun, it does not always go as planed but we always make it work!

Comment

• Towtruck
                  350 Buick
                  • Oct 11, 2001

I'm holding out for the GM 4.5 V8. Any rumors?
                  J10 - Body channel (3 inch drop @ front); dechromed; shaved side parking lights, antenna, and hood trim bar. Ford mirrors, roll pans, side exhaust, 16 inch wheels, custom dash, new interior, Edelbrocked 360, HEI, T18/208 (J20), rear disk brakes, goose neck and bumper hitches.

Comment

• Towtruck
                    350 Buick
                    • Oct 11, 2001

Isuzu 4bd fans should check out the engine that went into this Ford pickup...vicinity of page 36 in the string....mega power and 30 mpg. Also as discussed in the Street /Performance section below, it appears this Crown Vic IFS swap would work on a FSJ. (Thanks, Bigun)

1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks - Buildup!! 06 crown vic front suspension into 67 F100 - I am swapping a 2006 crown vic front suspension into my 67 ford F100. I know this is a good alternative for a more modern front suspension and a good way to get alot of suspension drop, plus it is a steal at $350-$500...
                    Last edited by Towtruck; 10-20-2011, 05:57 PM.
                    J10 - Body channel (3 inch drop @ front); dechromed; shaved side parking lights, antenna, and hood trim bar. Ford mirrors, roll pans, side exhaust, 16 inch wheels, custom dash, new interior, Edelbrocked 360, HEI, T18/208 (J20), rear disk brakes, goose neck and bumper hitches.

Comment

• 4BT for simplicity. Nissan SD33T (non-turbo was available from the factory J10s except in the US)

Did you guys know Mack trucks run Renault diesels?
                      Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• billyj7175
                        304 AMC
                        • Sep 10, 2001

Originally posted by Towtruck
                        I'm holding out for the GM 4.5 V8. Any rumors?
                        I'm late in the game here, but I sold the tube-steps off of my 08' Silverado to a guy that works for GM (not sure where exactly he worked). We got to bs'ing and he mentioned that before the economy tanked and the great-bail-out occurred, GM had a smaller diesel (he called it the mini-max) in the works, aimed at the 1/2 truck and suburban/tahoe line. Whether or not there's any truth to that I have no idea...
                        83 J-10 Jeep "Oscar"
                        360/727/229
                        4" Rusty's w/33X12.50 BFG AT's

I'll apologize ahead of time...my inner voice has Tourette's...

Comment

• fiero377ci
                          230 Tornado
                          • Jan 24, 2018

DETROIT

call me different, but i would go straight for a 4-53t detroit, 2 stroke. nothing turns heads like the sound they make. another thing is they put out significantly more power than a 4bt, 175 vs 130 or so, and something like 400 ft lb. they certainly weigh more though, and are getting hard to find. (i havent found one in years of searching). another plus is they can bolt straight to a gm standard transmission, pretty sure automatics are harder to adapt for some reason

Comment

• I had planned on putting the Isuzu NPR 4BD2TC I have in a Jeep with the later AW4 type trans (it has an overhauled Jatco 4 speed auto. Not my fav but okay for 120K miles under load) The shop I bought the truck from was upset because they popped the headgasket driving the truck to the trans shop in low gear the whole way. (Duh!) It didn’t work for them to blame the shop so the $3K spent on the trans was wasted unless they fixed the motor ($1000 I was quoted or $3K with new liners and rebuilt too)
                            Basically it’s a “copy” of the 4BT and most are over 500,000 miles by now. (Less than 200K on this one)

I’ll be selling it complete for parts only ($1500 without the nearly brand new tires or I’ll fix it and sell the Grumman with TBI SBC 350or400 and 4L80E and fix/drive the Isuzu to Kingsport after selling our cabin and property out west)
                            Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• mattmopar440
                              AMC 4 OH! 1
                              • May 17, 2007

Originally posted by fiero377ci
                              call me different, but i would go straight for a 4-53t detroit, 2 stroke. nothing turns heads like the sound they make. another thing is they put out significantly more power than a 4bt, 175 vs 130 or so, and something like 400 ft lb. they certainly weigh more though, and are getting hard to find. (i havent found one in years of searching). another plus is they can bolt straight to a gm standard transmission, pretty sure automatics are harder to adapt for some reason
                              Ive seen the 4-71 4.7L Turbo Supercharged on Ebay I wanted to buy it so bad and has way more power than a stock 4bt @175hp
                              87' Grand Wagoneer
                              401/727/229, Currently:RUNNING
                              84 J10/20 hybrid 258/727/208 Daily Driver
                              80' J10 4BT/AX-15/208
                              74' J10 Go Grabber Green Sold
                              Originally posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
                              Inferior Chevy

Comment

• mattmopar440
                                AMC 4 OH! 1
                                • May 17, 2007

Originally posted by fiero377ci
                                Ive seen the 4-71 4.7L Turbo Supercharged on Ebay I wanted to buy it so bad and has way more power than a stock 4bt @175hp
                                87' Grand Wagoneer
                                401/727/229, Currently:RUNNING
                                84 J10/20 hybrid 258/727/208 Daily Driver
                                80' J10 4BT/AX-15/208
                                74' J10 Go Grabber Green Sold
                                Originally posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
                                Inferior Chevy

Comment

Working...
                                X