• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xuno_gil
    232 I6
    • May 24, 2011

Replacing stock distributor with HEI distributor

Ok so I?m getting ready to do this and I just want to make you I have the steps down, so here is what I got?
    • Take #1 spark plug out and cover hole with finger, start turning the engine CW until you start feeling pressure build up in the hole.
    • Then find the timing marker on the pulley and continue turning the engine until the timing mark lines up with the Zero marker on the engine
    The engine should now be at top dead center with the #1 cylinder
    • Look for the metal ridge on the shaft on the HEI distributor and line the mark with dimple on the gear. This should be setting the distributor to the #1 setting
    • insert the distributor into the block with the ridge facing forward
    • Rotate the rotor slightly CCW to help it sit onto the cam this should be only slight rotations if it sits in slightly but not all the way in rotate the engine slightly CW to make it sit just right.
    • Once the distributor has been seated rotate the engine back CCW to line the timing marker back up to the Zero marker.
    • Tighten distributor onto the block.

Ok so do I have everything right? Am I missing anything?
    Now I?m thinking ahead, once the distributor is on, I hopefully have marked my #1 port and then the order should be the same so I should be able to just attach the wires to the new distributor of off the #1 port right?
    Alright well let me know if this is right and if it is, hopefully it helps someone else too even though I?m sure this subject has be covered already J
    I just want to make sure I got it, thanks
  • newtojeeps
    350 Buick
    • Jun 28, 2006

I didn't go through all that I just looked to see where the rotor was pointing and put the new distributor in with the rotor pointing the same way. I put the gear off my old dist. before I stabbed it in there and then put on the wires. It fired right up and I had to move it 2degrees.

Comment

• xuno_gil
      232 I6
      • May 24, 2011

Hmm yea I was assuming that as long as you could place the rotor, then why not just put the new one in with the rotor facing the same way. I guess starting from scratch with out the old rotor to go by would lead us to these steps.

Now is the hooking up self explanatory? I got the hooking up to a 12V keyed slot but the hooking it up to the distributor, is that self explanatory? Is it just a straight one wire pinch connecting thing?

Comment

• tgreese
        • May 29, 2003

What year is your truck? Never mind - I found it ... it's a '76.
        Tim Reese
        Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
        Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
        Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
        GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
        ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• FallonJeeper
          258 I6
          • May 28, 2010

Just note two positions on the rotor.

1. Where the rotor points with the distributor all the way in
          2. Where the rotor points with the distributor all the way out

The rotor will rotate as you pull it out. When you put the new distributor in, start with the rotor pointed toward position number 2. The rotor will rotate as you push it in to fully seated, and should line up with position 1.

It might take a couple attempts to get it perfect, but patience will reward you. Good luck, if you do it once, you'll be an expert.

Comment

• xuno_gil
            232 I6
            • May 24, 2011

got it thanks alot, I'm also going to be replacing the valve cover gaskets on it. I picked a set up, should I use them or just silicone sealant or a combination? I've heard of some people saying you should use some RTV on the cover with the gasket.
            Any special recommendations?

Comment

• austinaubinoe
              360 AMC
              • Aug 08, 2010

Originally posted by xuno_gil
              got it thanks alot, I'm also going to be replacing the valve cover gaskets on it. I picked a set up, should I use them or just silicone sealant or a combination? I've heard of some people saying you should use some RTV on the cover with the gasket.
              Any special recommendations?
              Mine were leaking pretty bad when I bought mine. The PO had squeezed alot of RTV in there and it looked like it had melted or just could not handle the oil. Installed some Fel Pro 'Perma dry' gaskets that I got on RockAuto for $10. Best valve cover gasket I have ever used! So much better then cork. Been on there dry for about 2 months with zero oil leaking.

Used the same type of gasket on my trans pan, that worked great too.

If you already bough cork, Ive had good luck treating cork/ paper gaskets with this:

But really just buy the rubber ones!
              Austin

1991 Hunter Green Grand Wagoneer
              5.9 2bbl-727-NP229-TFI-30x9.5 Firestone M/T's-Brush Guard-tire mount
              SOON: 4350 and cast iron intake

Others:
              -1994 Baby Grand
              -2000 XJ cherokee on Tons
              -1953 REO M35A2 6x6
              -1955 Willys Pickup

Originally posted by rustywagoneers_com
              i am not an addict, i can stop anytime.
              i dont have a problem, you people have the problem.

Comment

• xuno_gil
                232 I6
                • May 24, 2011

Nice, thanks yea I picked up the fel pro rubber gaskets just wanted to make sure that just a strait installation with no added stuff was the best way to do it, Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                X