Would love to be in Ouray in 2010, but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JFlu
    232 I6
    • Jun 30, 2009

Would love to be in Ouray in 2010, but...

Hey everyone! I have been looking through previous years trips and my wife and I would love to go!! BUT....first of all I'm fairly new to all of this but I am already addicted. I found a guy selling a 79 Waggy a few months back and decided to do a little research. My search brought me to this site and after spending hours browsing threads I decided I wanted to buy the Waggy and join in the FSJ fun! It turns out it is in great condition with only 28,600 original miles. It belonged to his wife who drove it for 30 years and he had most of the service records plus all the receipts for tune ups and misc things. Never any major work done.

SO.....I was hoping some of you that make this trip often can give me some idea of what I would need to improve, upgrade or add to prepare me for one of these trips. Tomorrow I am replacing all the cooling components with a rad, high flow water pump w/matching stat, fan clutch, and all hoses, etc. from BJs. Where should I focus next? Upgrade carb? Lift and tires? It runs like a top right now with no leaks(sorry) so I believe the 360 and TH400 are solid.

Last edited by JFlu; 08-17-2009, 09:40 AM.

'79 Wagoneer
  • will e
    Always Broke
    • Nov 16, 2001

Hey!

First: WELCOME
    Second: Nice looking rig you got!
    Third: Great looking kid.

Okay, for Ouray. You need low range. You should have that no problem.
    Without a lift (and with that nice rig) you can avoid the one or two more technical trails and still see so much beautiful scenery that you won't be able to believe your eyes. Even the difficult ones can be done with a mild lift, some 31"tires and some experience. But there are LOTS of places to got that are basically dirt roads or just a bit worse.

82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

• tkiller13
      304 AMC
      • Jun 17, 2005

Wow. That is one sharp looking jeep you got.

Comment

• JFlu
        232 I6
        • Jun 30, 2009

Thanks! He takes after his mother there! But that's where it ends..

Yeah, I don't think I would be crawling the advanced stuff on my first trip so I may just settle for bigger tires......how about the carb? It currently has the stock Motorcraft 2bbl. I'm going to flush the tranny in a couple weeks. I'm pretty sure the fluid is original, but it is still pretty red. Should I upgrade the brakes? I see the hydroboost term used alot on here.....

'79 Wagoneer

Comment

• JFlu
          232 I6
          • Jun 30, 2009

Originally posted by tkiller13
          Wow. That is one sharp looking jeep you got.
          Thanks! The color kinda put me off for a whole 5 secs....that's when I drove it and brought it home promptly there after!

'79 Wagoneer

Comment

• will e
            Always Broke
            • Nov 16, 2001

Most of us use the 'stock' brakes. My lawyer said I should tell you to do what you think is best.

With street or 31" tires a hydroboost would not be 'my' first choice. Serious, for Ouray, if you want to upgrade, a 4" lift and some 31" will get you pretty far.

Don't know about the carb. I run a holley. A buddy gave me some smaller jets once I got there. BIG DIFFERENCE. If you can lean it out a bit you will see more power and much better gas milage. One of the guys went through 1/2 tank and I only used a couple of gallons. The right mixture makes a lot of difference.
            82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

• JFlu
              232 I6
              • Jun 30, 2009

Originally posted by will e
              Most of us use the 'stock' brakes. My lawyer said I should tell you to do what you think is best.

With street or 31" tires a hydroboost would not be 'my' first choice. Serious, for Ouray, if you want to upgrade, a 4" lift and some 31" will get you pretty far.

Don't know about the carb. I run a holley. A buddy gave me some smaller jets once I got there. BIG DIFFERENCE. If you can lean it out a bit you will see more power and much better gas milage. One of the guys went through 1/2 tank and I only used a couple of gallons. The right mixture makes a lot of difference.
              Thanks for the tips! I'm making my to do list then I have to save $$$. My money tree was stolen and divided up amongst my neighbors....some new #@$!& government program.

I was thinking 4" lift too.....I want to pull my travel trailer eventually and I don't think 4" would impede towing too much.

'79 Wagoneer

Comment

• will e
                Always Broke
                • Nov 16, 2001

No, the 4" spring lift will help with towing IMHO since the springs are a bit stiffer.

I was able to do a lot of wheel'n in a 81 waggy with a 4" spring lift and 31" BFG tires.

Comment

• JFlu
                  232 I6
                  • Jun 30, 2009

Originally posted by will e
                  No, the 4" spring lift will help with towing IMHO since the springs are a bit stiffer.

I was able to do a lot of wheel'n in a 81 waggy with a 4" spring lift and 31" BFG tires.
                  Thanks will e! Hope you don't mind if I hit you up for more info as my projects progress.....and when I finally make it to Ouray, beers on me.

'79 Wagoneer

Comment

The stock 2150 carb is a very good carb off road. If it is running well now just leave that part alone. Insulate the fuel lines that run next to the left exhaust manifold so that you will lessen your chance of inducing vapor lock when you go up in elevation.
                    David "If all else fails, read the instructions."
                    83 Wag Lt,BJ's 6"lift,360/727/Pinned229,D44/trac-lok,AMC20/lock-right,35/12.50 Baja MTZ,Pro-Jection EFI.
                    10$ NP229 fix http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=2520

Comment

• Gambler68
                      Rabble Rouser
                      • Feb 29, 2004

Be careful and go slow swapping waterpumps. Not to jinx ya, but nicely running AMC engines tend to get hinky once you pop em open.

Cya in Invasion 2010: An Ouray Oddessy.
                      1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
                      1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
                      The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
                      Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• JFlu
                        232 I6
                        • Jun 30, 2009

Originally posted by Gambler68
                        Be careful and go slow swapping water pumps. Not to jinx ya, but nicely running AMC engines tend to get hinky once you pop em open.

Cya in Invasion 2010: An Ouray Oddessy.
                        I'm just concerned that after 30 yrs, once I start towing it might leave me high and dry.....I've read through several threads on here of other water pump experiences, plus my pop and brother are Master Mechanics, however they are 2000 miles away in Arkansas......so I'm on my own.

'79 Wagoneer

Comment

• JFlu
                          232 I6
                          • Jun 30, 2009

Originally posted by Chevelleguy
                          The stock 2150 carb is a very good carb off road. If it is running well now just leave that part alone. Insulate the fuel lines that run next to the left exhaust manifold so that you will lessen your chance of inducing vapor lock when you go up in elevation.
                          Great tip! I'll look into that this weekend.....I can use refrigerator or AC insulation right?

'79 Wagoneer

Comment

• Carleysjeep
                            350 Buick
                            • Apr 06, 2009

Nice rig! I always liked those rims (too much starsky & hutch as a kid maybe?) Looks like the dark blue matches the blue on your trailer.
                            Dan Rowe

Originally posted by fulsizjeep
                            I don't think an apology is needed. Most of us are pretty opinionated even when we are wrong.
                            84 Wagoneer 4" lift 32x11.5
                            77 J 20 Chevy 350 35x12.5
                            89 Cherokee 3" lift 31x10.5

Comment

• grand_wag_85
                              Murphy's Law Poster Child
                              • Dec 03, 2003

Whatever you do install an electric fuel pump as close to the gas tank as you can get it. You will vapor lock! Carrying water to hose down the fuel pump, filter and intake manifold have helped me to immediately jump back on the road in the past.

Great looking Wagoneer
                              You know it's bad when your car's on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

'82 J10
                              '88 GW
                              '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

Working...
                              X